If not from the US. Where?

HalfHand

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

1918!  First commercial airship (not a plane) was about 1928.  Commercial transatlantic airplanes did not even start until 1939.

But there were airplanes.  Especially buzzing around over Europe during those times.   I bet none of those guys could even imagine a two story plane carrying 600 people across the oceans in a few hours.   

Anyway, I wonder if there had not been all the people movement associated with the WWI if the Spanish flu would have been so severe.  

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm not sure point A Europe to point B Australia was a primary route for the spread of the spanish flu.  But, yes that would take weeks.   

Actually, I believe it was.  Australian servicemen returning home from the war in Europe.

Edited by d9704011

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Actually, I believe it was.  Australian servicemen returning home from the war in Europe.

Well, to Australia, certainly.  No doubt troopships had to be a factor.  Sorry, I need to be more careful to fully explain my thoughts (though it would be easier if you could just read my mind).   I was thinking in terms of the spread between  Europe and North America.   

18 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, to Australia, certainly.  No doubt troopships had to be a factor.  Sorry, I need to be more careful to fully explain my thoughts (though it would be easier if you could just read my mind).   I was thinking in terms of the spread between  Europe and North America.   

Hmmmm.... that’s probably not a good example either.  There is evidence to suggest the Spanish Flu may have begun at a military base in Kansas.

I think this demonstrates the difficulty in accurately identifying  the source and spreading vectors of viruses.  Hence, a blame game is probably not a very good use of time nor energy and certainly doesn’t much contribute to managing or solving the problem(s).

Edit:  Which I am absolutely not suggesting you are engaged in!!

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Hmmmm.... that’s probably not a good example either.  There is evidence to suggest the Spanish Flu may have begun at a military base in Kansas.

I think this demonstrates the difficulty in accurately identifying  the source and spreading vectors of viruses.  Hence, a blame game is probably not a very good use of time nor energy and certainly doesn’t much contribute to managing or solving the problem(s).

I've read the controversy and don't know where it started other than most agree it wasn't Spain. Hopefully I haven't blamed anyone for anything.  I thought it was just a random discussion about spread of that pandemic across the Atlantic.  I doubt CDC is reading my comments for advice on how to manage the current pandemic, so it is all good.   😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm not sure point A Europe to point B Australia was a primary route for the spread of the spanish flu.  

Well it was to Australia😂. We pretty much got all our 1918 Flu from Europe and the ships would have stopped along the way, so it's contribution to world wide spread could be bigger. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Hence, a blame game is probably not a very good use of time nor energy and certainly doesn’t much contribute to managing or solving the problem(s).

It is not a blame game but trying to learn about a disease. If you could understand a virus's genetic and evolutionary history it could help unlock treatment options or ways to prevent such mutations in the first place🤗

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well it was to Australia😂. We pretty much got all our 1918 Flu from Europe and the ships would have stopped along the way, so it's contribution to world wide spread could be bigger. 

It is not a blame game but trying to learn about a disease. If you could understand a virus's genetic and evolutionary history it could help unlock treatment options or ways to prevent such mutations in the first place🤗

Yes, that was pointed out in a previous post where I explained I was really referring to the virus spread between America and Europe.  

There is something wrong with the quote function I think.  The 2nd quote you attributed to me is not mine.   

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

There is something wrong with the quote function I think.  The 2nd quote you attributed to me is not mine.   

I tried to see if I could fix it but it won't let me change it because I am on a mobile device. First time it has happened to me but I have seen on other threads about wrong quote attribution. Seems to be a bit of website bug🙄

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

I tried to see if I could fix it but it won't let me change it because I am on a mobile device. First time it has happened to me but I have seen on other threads about wrong quote attribution. Seems to be a bit of website bug🙄

No worries.   

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

It was largely returning troops being demobilized who contributed to the spread in the US - certainly when you consider the second wave.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think that might be too broad a brush stroke - I would put it : “Lack of competent leadership”.  

Precisely my sentiments. No coherent plan & no competent leadership. Sure hope this changes in the near future.

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

To successfully manage COVID you need competent leadership and a population that is willing to make modest sacrifices for the larger good.  When heavily-armed armed protestors invade the Michigan legislature in opposition to a relatively modest lockdown or a quarter million motorcyclists flock to Sturgis the issue goes beyond leadership competency. 

I find it extremely distressing that there is an abundance of those who refuse to adhere to reasonable safety measures. Myself, I wear a mask when out of my home, maintain social distance when outdoors and abide by safety measures outlined by the WHO and CDC.

However, after reading several of your posts on this and another thread it appears that you display a decided  hostility toward Americans. The blame game serves no useful purpose and, btw, Canadians are certainly not exempt from idiotic behavior concerning the refusal to follow reasonable safety measures instituted in an effort to contain the spread of Covid 19.  One recent example is evidenced in the viral video showing a Edmonton man's explosive, racist rants when simply asked to wear a mask in a local store - so, pot - meet kettle.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/canada-racist-rant-video-coronavirus-mask-covid-a9656376.html

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Our governments announced today that the Canada-U.S. border closed to non-essential travel for another month today. That isn't the wind you hear, it's a sigh of relief from Canada.  

Canada is safe for another month!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/14/canada-us-border-restrictions-september-395295

Time to engage in more serious discussions between our countries:

Edited by SelectSys

7 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

In a few weeks, nobody will want to go to Canada anyway -- it's just too damn cold up there most of the year.

Speaking of which...If the travel ban continues, how will Canadians get their warm weather fix?  They're addicted to Florida, the Yucatan, and Baja California -- but all three places are closed to our parka-wearing friends.

5 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

In a few weeks, nobody will want to go to Canada anyway -- it's just too damn cold up there most of the year.

Speaking of which...If the travel ban continues, how will Canadians get their warm weather fix?  They're addicted to Florida, the Yucatan, and Baja California -- but all three places are closed to our parka-wearing friends.

Don't forget California and Arizona as well.  My brother has a second home in Palm Desert and many of his neighbors are Canadians.

I still like Canada, at least BC,  in the winter for skiing. They really have some awesome places to go and I am not even thinking about Whistler Blackcomb.  

12 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

In a few months, not a few weeks. The fall is beautiful here.

Spain, Italy and Greece make great winter getaways, although, personally, It will probably be at soonest spring or later before I travel.

56 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Don't forget California and Arizona as well.  My brother has a second home in Palm Desert and many of his neighbors are Canadians.

I still like Canada, at least BC,  in the winter for skiing. They really have some awesome places to go and I am not even thinking about Whistler Blackcomb.  

I've skiied at Whistler many times.  Great place, though it's gone high-money resort in the last few years.

Have you been to Tofino on the Vancouver Island coast?  That's another wonderful place, especially in the winter when the storms roll in off the Pacific. 

35 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I've skiied at Whistler many times.  Great place, though it's gone high-money resort in the last few years.

Have you been to Tofino on the Vancouver Island coast?  That's another wonderful place, especially in the winter when the storms roll in off the Pacific. 

I was thinking more in the interior like Big White, Sun Peaks, ...  I really want to try Revelstoke before I get too old!

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, K32682 said:

There are many other places to go for warm weather without risking the COVID-ravaged regions of the American south. Cuba is first on my list.  Great beaches, fine weather, nice people and no Americans. 

Yes, I'm familiar with the Varadero beach ghetto that's quite popular with Canadian tourists.  Even if you can get there, however, you won't be mingling with the "nice people" (unless you mean nice Canadians).  The Cuban government plans to divide Varadero into one section for Cubans and another section for international tourists.   The latter folks won't mix with the general population.   https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/new-cuban-tourism-system-to-isolate-visitors-from-population-1.1458832

5 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Someone really needs to chill out and push away from the keyboard.  Their point has been made ad nauseum.

Oh man, you got that right.  That poster is getting kind of trollish.  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 6:27 PM, navybankerteacher said:

It was largely returning troops being demobilized who contributed to the spread in the US - certainly when you consider the second wave.

Yes, that seems abundantly sensible to me.  Thx  

BTW, I did see some more recent case info for CT. Your synopsis of the improved conditions are right on.    Same for NY.  What a difference from a few months ago.