We'll start with shorter cruises and fewer people

jwc1027

9 minutes ago, catlady66 said:

I have worked this entire time (with the public), don't know a single person who was/is sick nor do I know anybody who knows anybody who is/was sick

Consider yourself lucky.  Not all of us have had that good fortune.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

No. Never has. 

Just mentioning it because of what somebody had posted here previously about not permitting B2B cruises.  I am just saying that would be no different than a person who takes a cruise and then goes to a different ship when they disembark from their first cruise.  We have friends who often do 5 or so cruises B2B but not on the same ship.  If cruise ships were to not permit B2B, then I am sure people would just jump ship to ship instead and not be cross-checked.

2 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Just mentioning it because of what somebody had posted here previously about not permitting B2B cruises.  I am just saying that would be no different than a person who takes a cruise and then goes to a different ship when they disembark from their first cruise.  We have friends who often do 5 or so cruises B2B but not on the same ship.  If cruise ships were to not permit B2B, then I am sure people would just jump ship to ship instead and not be cross-checked.

If there's a will, there's a way.  😉

Edited by davekathy

7 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

There is a manifest. Maybe they will make comparisons?  

9 hours ago, boatseller said:

"Never a risk" - Never said that.  Find the quote or apologize.

Sorry, I must have confused you for another poster who said it wasn’t a risk. 

9 hours ago, boatseller said:

So if the theme parks aren't a problem, any cruise related transmission should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Why should/would a cruise related case be viewed with skepticism?  There have been recent Covid positive cases on cruise ships carrying guests and they were not viewed that way. 

I think a case on a cruise ship will be treated seriously in North Americaby the CDC. If someone tests positive, after being on a short or 7 day cruise, IMO it will be blamed on the cruise line.  Even if they are responsible or not.  I think it will be an easy assumption, when contact tracing is not really happening in Florida.

IMO, the reason why cruise lines will want to do short cruises in the beginning is to get the guests on and off before there is the risk of an outbreak on-board.  The last thing they want is to house sick guests on board, along with everything that will come with that responsibility.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I wonder if one of the new precruise survey questions will be, “have you been on a cruise ship within the last 1-14 days“. 

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

There is a manifest. Maybe they will make comparisons?  

For some reason I would think the CLIA will be discussing this.  Now if it as effective as the RC IT department people will book the B2B2B.... 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I have 5 rcl booked and 2 are b2b. If not the plan, rcl should quit allowing them to be booked. 

The Ovation sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver to Seattle is not allowed as a B2B due to PVSA. RCI allowed folks to book that and only after the ship sailed did they offer a solution. If they ever announce B2B as not bookable, it will be quite a while before their system actually disallows them and even longer for folks already booked to be informed.

I am surprised at the amount of people in this thread who completely believe the "stats" we're being spoonfed.  I have worked this entire time (with the public), don't know a single person who was/is sick nor do I know anybody who knows anybody who is/was sick. My Governor tested positive but then miraculously tested negative on the next test.  How many positives are given a 2nd test?  I'm willing to bet this whole thing disappears November 4th.  Sorry--don't mean to get on a soapbox.  End of rant
Have you looked at the death toll lately?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I saw some test program the NBA I think it was that they are only charging $1 per test. Not clear who pays the $1 but hope its comes public. 

I read about it. It takes as little as 3-hours for results. I have read about others trying to get FDA approval as well but the FDA continues to change their EUA requirements. Results in about 10 seconds (yes, seconds). It is similar to a diabetes scanner. Quick poke to the finger, slip it in the device, and it reads for antigens of Covid19, not the antibodies. I think they said it is 70% accurate on 1 test. If the test comes back positive, do second. If it comes back positive also, a more thorough test is required. It is about $0.25 for the test strips and the device is probably around $100. I have personal conspiracy theories about it because it causes a massive money loss for the ultrawealthy heavily invested in Big Pharma.  

3 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Have you looked at the death toll lately?

Not that I disagree with the number of people dying, but there is a financial incentive on what a hospital can charge insurance for a death. This is a fact. It is also verified by the President of a bank sending doctors direct communication that if they cannot determine the cause of death to label it Covid-19. The billing rate for a covid death was 2-3x higher than all others Testing or verification of covid was not required, only "suspicion". It also had impacts for life insurance policies as well.

Another statistic I found fascinating was the demographics. It was about 3-4 weeks ago when I heard that over 50% of cases were in the Hispanic community. I couldn't believe it but it wound up being true. The same went for African Americans. It was a disproportionate number. I don't know why this information is not made more public so the focus can be placed where it does the most good. A friend works for a Pharma company and this is being heavily investigated as the race for the vaccines.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I'm sure one of the questions will be:  Have you been out of the country in the last 14 days?  That will identify the B2B cruisers.  Perhaps initial cruises won't allow international passengers.

They only want short cruises because the longer you stay on the ship your chances of showing Covid symptoms rise greatly.

If you catch Covid on the cruise and find out 2 days later after you get off  the ship you have the virus...............it doesn't get blamed for catching it on the ship...........They will say you caught it somewhere else  before or after you got off  or on the ship.

You are more likely to catch it on an airplane anyway

Sent from my iPad using Forums

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I have 5 rcl booked and 2 are b2b. If not the plan, rcl should quit allowing them to be booked. 

Has RCI stopped allowing booking for the ships sitting on the beach in Turkey waiting to become razor blades?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, sjudis said:

You are more likely to catch it on an airplane anyway

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe, maybe not.  But the cruise lines need to have an acceptable plan on dealing with infections.  It really doesn't matter where those passengers contracted the virus.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Not true. The government has stated it. Nearly 50% of businesses are shutdown and millions out of work. If that was true, we wouldn't be having these discussions. I wouldn't have 4 friends that have lost their businesses now and another about to. The only essential business is who the government has decided is essential.

You're kind of making my point. IMO, the government has no business deciding what is essential and what isn't.  Liquor stores have been classified as essential in most states - what a joke.

4 minutes ago, mek said:

You're kind of making my point. IMO, the government has no business deciding what is essential and what isn't.  Liquor stores have been classified as essential in most states - what a joke.

We had this debate here in Ontario.  Liquor stores were considered essential because those with an alcohol dependency could get their fix.  In all honesty, it helped those without one during the lockdown period. 

Perhaps the upset to the CDC for letting ships sail is, the dependency is only cured while at sea. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Has RCI stopped allowing booking for the ships sitting on the beach in Turkey waiting to become razor blades?

Nope, you can still book a sailing on Sovereign, actually on all Pullmantur ships, after Nov this year. Some say folks on RCI threads are too optimistic, you should go over to Pullmantur threads to see folks there booking on a line with no ships.

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We had this debate here in Ontario.  Liquor stores were considered essential because those with an alcohol dependency could get their fix.  In all honesty, it helped those without one during the lockdown period. 

Perhaps the upset to the CDC for letting ships sail is, the dependency is only cured while at sea. 😉

Well, the only things that are really essential are food, utilities, and medical care.  Once one thing is exempt then something else is added to the list and everyone has an reason why they think a particular business is essential.   As I previously mentioned, everyone thinks their job is essential if that is the only source of their income.

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The Ovation sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver to Seattle is not allowed as a B2B due to PVSA. RCI allowed folks to book that and only after the ship sailed did they offer a solution. If they ever announce B2B as not bookable, it will be quite a while before their system actually disallows them and even longer for folks already booked to be informed.

No lucky me I booked out of Galveston. First it was moving allure to liberty. Then it was the 2nd leg of my b2b next feb got cancelled. They decided to switch jewel out with liberrty the 2nd leg of my b2b. Cancelled that whole week, no email, no notice. Found out here on cc. Now I'm starting to think cruising next feb might not be going. Cant really lift and switch next feb with having 5 liberty within 3 months. Got dec 2021 booked on liberty, one week and the march 22 which was booked allure now liberty, be a bit much to lift and switch my next feb 2021 cruises a year out.

Started with 2 jewel  2 allure, 1 liberty, now I have 5 liberty lol. The only thing is if I do them would push me to diamond plus. Keep getting canc. Have now until end of sept to decide what to do with feb 2021 b2b. If lift and shift, or just let them cancel me. To me and I'm sure my TA it's been a mess. Rcl lacks communication. 

Edited by firefly333

23 hours ago, boatseller said:

People who understand Florida will be one of the safest places to visit sooner than later.

Orange County reported no outbreak related to the theme parks, why would a cruise be much different?

Shorter cruises mean the ratio of cruisers to possible infections will be much higher and less likely to be directly attributable to the cruise ship.

So Disney is a great case study.  At first, they had a lot of attention to 100% masks, proper mask wearing, and distancing. And we've had no reports of outbreaks or cases traced back to exposure there.  But the honeymoon is over.  After a few weeks, visitors are reporting a much worse situation for mask compliance and social distancing and much less enforcement by cast members - both fewer cast members out enforcing and poor enforcement where there should be.  I would not consider Disney a success story until a month from now when we see how things are then.  This is what I think a prior poster meant by "relaxed" - the effort to stay safe errodes over time - both by management and by customers.

And we have very good evidence about what happens when large groups convene without full social distance, ventilation and mask wearing.  Summer camps, schools, and the first few cruise ships out .... way too many outbreaks happening quickly!