MSC is serious about its protocols

Cruise Suzy

I'm glad to know they're enforcing their protocols. 

(I'd also just love to know what these "bubble" shore excursions entail. Hard to imagine going to Naples and not being in contact with others, unless you never leave the vehicle...which doesn't sound like the case if this family could break away.)

Hoping someone on CC will be on one of these cruises and will report on it.

I guess they are trying to make this work one step at a time.  First the German cruise ship stopped in a few ports, but no one could get off in the ports.  Then MSC stops just in Italian ports (and Malta), but requires anyone who wants to leave the ship to stay within a ship-provided shore excursion.  If that is what cruising will be, it is not for me.  I like to take long cruises and explore the towns with my DW.  Either walking or using public transportation, eating lunch in a cafe with the locals, and shopping in little out of the way stores.  Sometimes we have a plan when we leave the ship and sometimes not, but that is what makes it interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’m with you!

The best part of cruising is making your own fun at the ports!

If I have to be herded around like contained sheep, that’s not for me

While I understand the necessity and applaud their protocols, I’ll wait to cruise until life returns to normal.... hoping at some point that’s even a possibility

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Always amazing the way some think rules don’t apply to them.

Which is why I will feel safer on a cruise ship than I do in my own condo building in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, home to LSU and SEC football.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Always amazing the way some think rules don’t apply to them.

Don't quite know what you mean, but I also enjoy going off on my own. I don't like being herded around. I don't consider that breaking the rules. Just would not want to cruise without that sort of freedom.

Apologize if I misunderstood you.

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm glad to know they're enforcing their protocols. 

(I'd also just love to know what these "bubble" shore excursions entail. Hard to imagine going to Naples and not being in contact with others, unless you never leave the vehicle...which doesn't sound like the case if this family could break away.)

Hoping someone on CC will be on one of these cruises and will report on it.

I also do not understand how these excursions will have no contact with others at the port. Will museums or other attractions be cleared of all others when the cruise tour is there? And this would be impossible at an outdoor attraction. If they are taken shopping, will all other customers be kicked out?

Is there somewhere online a list of the excursions offered so we can see what they entail?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I also do not understand how these excursions will have no contact with others at the port. Will museums or other attractions be cleared of all others when the cruise tour is there? And this would be impossible at an outdoor attraction. If they are taken shopping, will all other customers be kicked out?

Is there somewhere online a list of the excursions offered so we can see what they entail?

I suspect the excursions on offer are of the ‘panoramic’ variety. Basically, just being driven around, viewing everything from the coach 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I suspect the excursions on offer are of the ‘panoramic’ variety. Basically, just being driven around, viewing everything from the coach 

You are probably right. But why bother? The only reason I can see to take that type of excursion is to say you've been there, though for all intents and purposes you have not experienced the port.

And what of all the beach excursions? There are many who want those, and they would be impossible.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Don't quite know what you mean, but I also enjoy going off on my own. I don't like being herded around. I don't consider that breaking the rules. Just would not want to cruise without that sort of freedom.

Apologize if I misunderstood you.

As do we but on this cruise the passengers were told the only way they can get off the ship was if they took and stayed with a ship excursion.  So this family figured that did not apply to them.  Personally we would not agree with those types of restrictions so we would not go on a cruise with them in place.

• Like 4

Unfortunately the “new” cruise world is not very interesting to us.  Masks on the ship, reservations required for dinner and entertainment venues, restrictions on getting off in ports on your own.  I was afraid the cruise experience would go this route.  My hope is it is temporary (meaning a year or so) until the world gets ahead of the virus.

36 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Which is why I will feel safer on a cruise ship than I do in my own condo building in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, home to LSU and SEC football.

Understood, wait until even the SEC is forced to cancel fall football, then they really will go crazy.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Unfortunately the “new” cruise world is not very interesting to us.  Masks on the ship, reservations required for dinner and entertainment venues, restrictions on getting off in ports on your own.  I was afraid the cruise experience would go this route.  My hope is it is temporary (meaning a year or so) until the world gets ahead of the virus.

I'm totally with you. 

I'm thinking that I will plan some land trips over the next year or two to replace some bucket list cruises I had been planning to take in that time frame. When things return to a more normal version of cruising, I'll also return...

Edit: But to your point (and to address the other poster), if I did, for some reason, book a cruise with these types of restrictions, I would understand that and abide by them. I totally understand MSC's position and applaud what they did.  As to whether or not their "bubble" idea is safe, the jury is still out -- given that other cruises in EU who've tried to re-start have had COVID issues even without any port stops.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You are probably right. But why bother? The only reason I can see to take that type of excursion is to say you've been there, though for all intents and purposes you have not experienced the port.

And what of all the beach excursions? There are many who want those, and they would be impossible.

I think those sort of panoramic tours are ok for those people who can't walk very far, but at this point in my life I like to explore on foot.  I understand the reasons why MSC are doing this, but it doesn't appeal to me. I don't think I'll be bothering with cruises for quite a while.

With beach excursions, I suppose they deliver passengers to a roped off section of beach, with strict instructions not to cross the rope.... but that doesn't sound like much fun either

38 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think those sort of panoramic tours are ok for those people who can't walk very far, but at this point in my life I like to explore on foot.  I understand the reasons why MSC are doing this, but it doesn't appeal to me. I don't think I'll be bothering with cruises for quite a while.

With beach excursions, I suppose they deliver passengers to a roped off section of beach, with strict instructions not to cross the rope.... but that doesn't sound like much fun either

Are they also going to have a roped off area for the cruise tour participants in the water?

Here's how I think the new beach tour will proceed. They will drive by and let you see the beach. Now these cruises are in Europe, correct? Let's say you were in France. The tour guide would say, "Ladies and gentlemen here is the xxxx beach. The local custom here in France is that the ladies go topless at beaches. Gentlemen, be prepared to get out your cameras and binoculars. Ladies, if you wish to adhere to the local customs, feel free to do so."😊

I am sorry, but after almost 5 months of self isolation due to age related risk, in the city with the highest case count in a state with one of the highest positivity rates and with nothing to look at but the beautiful, but unchanging, view out my condo window, it all sounds pretty darn good to me.  Heck, the thought of someone else to cook and clean, and most importantly, access to an extensive wine cellar, even if mediocre, excites me.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, mame42 said:

I am sorry, but after almost 5 months of self isolation due to age related risk, in the city with the highest case count in a state with one of the highest positivity rates and with nothing to look at but the beautiful, but unchanging, view out my condo window, it all sounds pretty darn good to me.  Heck, the thought of someone else to cook and clean, and most importantly, access to an extensive wine cellar, even if mediocre, excites me.

I agree.  Yes this is far from ideal or what we've grown accustomed to, but if the alternative is to wait years to cruise again (and if everyone waited there would be no cruise lines left) I'll take this.  I wouldn't book a cruise with a bucket list itinerary or one I know I would not be happy not walking about on my own.  But just to sit on my balcony sipping wine at sea sounds heavenly to me right now.  I prefer DIY in port too, but this sounds a lot better than sitting at home as I have been.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, mame42 said:

I guess I can understand that some people feel that way. But I also have been more or less in "lock down" mode since late February. I have not been to a restaurant or to a shop outside of say a quick stop at a drug store. (Groceries are delivered.)  I don't even have a "beautiful" view. I am continuing to work full-time from home, and I have not allowed my cleaner to come to my home, so I spend my weekends cleaning. It's great -- NOT.

But travel in a bubble doesn't excite me. I travel for the experience. As in, really experiencing a new place or places, not just seeing it through the hermetically sealed windows of a bus. Also, who's to say that this system will even work to keep the passengers free of infection? 

• Like 1

Sorry...but why on earth would anyone put their faith in a cruise line to keep them safe from covid???    Or more to the point how can a cruise line even do this, let alone promote it.

Is the assumption that every staff member and every passenger on the ship is covid free?  And/or that they will remain covid free throughout the voyage notwithstanding interactions at the various port stops?

Are there those so desperate for a cruise that they would fall for this gag?  It is no secret that cruise ships are nothing but floating petri dishes.  I hardly think that mask wearing, social distancing, and controlled cruise line excursions will change this.

I mean really....just look at the cruise line behaviors this past  March.   Or the recent  Hurtigrutin cruise fiasco.

Even before one gets to the realization of traveling in a bubble.  

Edited by iancal

Costa has just announced the same policy for their soon to be starting cruises.  Only allowed off the ship on an excursion.  

I understand some are fine on a ship that goes off and does figure eights in the ocean.  You get fed, entertained, away from home.  That’s just not our thing and I don’t buy that I have to support the industry.  It has no loyalty to anyone and is not deserving of any from us.  

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

I understand some are fine on a ship that goes off and does figure eights in the ocean.

In normal times that would be the last thing I would be happy doing.  I cruise for the ports and to see new places.   I use sea days to rest up between busy days in ports.  But sadly these aren't normal times. 

Until cruising is back to normal (hopefully some time) we'll do more land trips. But until then and only when vaccines are available and it feels safe to take longer cruises, I wouldn't dismiss a short (7-day) cruise close to home but not until next year.

Just remember, WE are not the target market for these early cruises, and the vast majority of the current passengers will have few if any problems with these restrictions.    As far as I am concerned, I am ecstatic that they are at least STARTING up again, although I will wait until next fall before venturing out onto a (small) cruise ship.   (And be going through withdrawals ever minute of every day until then...)

• Like 1