Where was I?

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Love the turquoise colour of the water.  Did you visit on a cruise?  The chocolate sounds delicious.  Was it a drink?

Not a cruise on that trip. It quite far inland so might be difficult for most cruises to visit. We visited Semuc as part of a road trip through South Mexico and we decided to add Belize and Guatemala. The chocolate wasn't a drink it was solid but softer than modern chocolate, it didn't crack when you bite into it, it also didn't melt. Last year saw a doco about history of chocolate and learnt that our modern chocolate was the result of the Lindt factory accidentally leaving something called a conching machine on overnight😂

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not a cruise on that trip. It quite far inland so might be difficult for most cruises to visit. We visited Semuc as part of a road trip through South Mexico and we decided to add Belize and Guatemala. The chocolate wasn't a drink it was solid but softer than modern chocolate, it didn't crack when you bite into it, it also didn't melt. Last year saw a doco about history of chocolate and learnt that our modern chocolate was the result of the Lindt factory accidentally leaving something called a conching machine on overnight😂

We saw chocolate being made by hand in Mexico. They used quite a bit of sugar with it so it was too sweet for me. It could be eaten as is or mixed with hot milk or water as a drink. 

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We saw chocolate being made by hand in Mexico. They used quite a bit of sugar with it so it was too sweet for me. It could be eaten as is or mixed with hot milk or water as a drink. 

That would be interesting to watch🤗. The Kekchi chocolate wasn't sweet, I guess they have a different palette. Though in Villahermosa we had a chocolate almond drink and you could choose how much sugar to add. The Horchatas however were always super sweet😉

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That would be interesting to watch🤗. The Kekchi chocolate wasn't sweet, I guess they have a different palette. Though in Villahermosa we had a chocolate almond drink and you could choose how much sugar to add. The Horchatas however were always super sweet😉

It was fascinating. I suspect every family or town makes it a little differently. They had some flavoured with vanilla or cinnamon, and I think there was one with nuts in it.

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Glenorchy

Yes!  Well Done!

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I am surprised I hadn't heard of it.  But my experience of Central America is limited to around the Panama Canal.  

If you do a Cape Horn cruise, most of the cruise lines stop at Ushuaia, I often spell it wrong, probably have this time.

The stop before theire is often the Falklands, which is where stopped  also and tendered ashore, just don't tell the Argies you went to the Falklands, it is the Malvinas to them, Argentine Sovereign Territory then think, although the British differ.  I recollect a couple of pax going ashore in Ushuaia with T shirts emblazoned 'Falklands.'  The ships security officer at the gangway advised the pax to change into something different, so as not to cause problems in town with the locals.

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lifou

Yes, the Church of St Francis Xavier which is on the hill to the right of the tender wharf. The photo was taken from our balcony on Sun Princess on our very first ocean cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, the Church of St Francis Xavier which is on the hill to the right of the tender wharf. The photo was taken from our balcony on Sun Princess on our very first ocean cruise.

Rob found a photo he had taken of the church on one of our cruises there back a few years. From almost the same position.

Leigh

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It looked lush and tropical.  Does it have beaches?