Has the drink package ever got you in trouble

miched

We had the premium drink pack and it was late at night.   We were walking past the Martini Bar and I wanted to stop for a drink.  My wife said if I had another drink she would divorce me.   To make her happy I had 3.    Didn’t want a divorce.   Don’t understand  why she got so mad as I only had the 3rd one to make sure it was more than one.  🤷‍♂️

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

It is perhaps fortunate that Captains can perform weddings, but not divorce hearings.

But it may prevent passengers from accidentally falling overboard.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

I haven't had that sort of trouble but here's my problem. With the premium package my wife and I get to try all sorts of liquors and liqueurs for which we wouldn't normally pay the price. Like single malt scotch and pricey digestifs. So now I have to buy single malts for me and B&B and/or Benedictine for my wife. 😄

Edited by bobndee
clean up

I can get into trouble without the drink package. 😆

Two years ago making sure we got our monies worth at the martini bar, we couldn't find our room. Now, I was not 'that bad'. But my wife was having a ball as we kept going up and down the loooong hallway and she was not helping at all, just a constant giggle. Then out of no where she says, "I wonder if we are on the wrong side of the ship"? Yep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, bobndee said:

I haven't had that sort of trouble but here's my problem. With the premium package my wife and I get to try all sorts of liquors and liqueurs for which we wouldn't normally pay the price. Like single malt scotch and pricey digestifs. So now I have to buy single malts for me and B&B and/or Benedictine for my wife. 😄

I don’t find that as a problem.  Life to too short to drink crappy liquors.   The difference in price and the amount of drinks don’t amount to that much difference.   It is also sometimes cheaper to have that bottle at home than what a drink would cost without a package included.  

X use to carry some nice bourbons but now the top is Woodford Reserve Double Oak.  We drive to and from the ports and stop at the Total Wine store in Louisville to stock up on our bourbons

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌊

Edited by miched

Not on our Celebrity cruises.  I've learned my lesson. 

On our last Alaskan cruise on Carnival some years ago we went with two other couples.  Our awesome aft cabins were far too close to the Alchemy Bar, which had a marvelous menu of interesting cocktails as well as a nice selection of liquor, juices, infused syrups and spices.  They encouraged you to order custom drinks and to create new recipes in addition to ordering from the menu.  We had a LOT of fun at this bar throughout the cruise, but really capped it off one night towards the end.  First, one of the couples we were with suggested that they make each of us a "Bourbon Ball."  Then, the other couple had us move on to drinking "Dirty Monkeys."  The bartenders told us to design something new and so we fashioned a combination of these two that we christened "Dirty Monkey Balls."  Within a short time, the entire bar was drinking "Dirty Monkey Balls" and getting pretty dang silly.  Didn't really get in trouble ON that cruise (or any other one for that matter), but the aftermath wasn't pretty.  It seems we had too many wonderful evenings at the Alchemy Bar during the cruise and a few days after I got home I was in the hospital with colitis. I still enjoy my share of wine, beer and spirits throughout my cruises, but I don't drink as much and I spread it out much better throughout the day.  😎

• Haha 1

Has not gotten me in trouble, but it sure did for the college kids on the now infamous Connie Spring Break cruise who got dumped off the ship and left in Cozumel because they got drunk and broke some of the pool deck furniture.  Can you imagine that phone call to Mom and Dad?!?!  That was the cruise of the century - Animal House at sea.  Over 700 college kids from one college, combined with drink packages (the older ones passing along shots and other drinks to the under 21's).  Who would ever expect that to end well!

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I guess I'd have to say no since we drink no more on a cruise (and sometimes less) than we do at home, booze package or not.

I agree... unfortunately Covid has raised the bar (no pun intended) at home... I fear that will carry over to my next cruise (whenever that may be).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I guess I'd have to say no since we drink no more on a cruise (and sometimes less) than we do at home, booze package or not.

We were discussing this not long ago saying ‘we never drink a lot on our cruise’ but on reflection...

We frequently enjoy a Bellini at breakfast

A mid morning long fruity cocktail with something in it

A beer or two with lunch

A really refreshing icy cocktail in the afternoon 

A drink in our room as we get ready for the evening 

Then in addition to the pre and post dinner drinks we will often have wines pared with our meal...Then after returning to our room we finish with a cognac on the balcony.

Somehow we never feel we have drank a lot because we are slowly drinking all day in lots of different venues. We tend to think we have had lots to drink if it is in one bar and within a limited time!?!?

Never got in trouble and I can get lost finding my room without a drink. We did once see an elderly gentleman in the Ensemble Lounge slowly and gently slide down his chair (think slow motion) onto the floor after ‘nodding off’ - his wife was seriously not amused!! 

Edited by chemmo

I wouldn't say it got me in "Trouble" but it certainly causes quite a few snarky comments from the DW!

This was most notable on the return trip to the cabin after an evening of fun.  She usually gets quite turned around on the ship so relys on my navigation to get us back to the cabin (Which is very odd since if driving her directional instincts are much better than mine.)  I chose a route that would maximize the number of bars we passed and timed the pace such that stopping at each for another beverage would make total sense (to me.)  The 2nd night she caught on and started the "Well, you shure are trying to get all your money's worth!" at every stop!

She still comments on this everytime I mention getting the drink package!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miched said:

X use to carry some nice bourbons but now the top is Woodford Reserve Double Oak.  We drive to and from the ports and stop at the Total Wine store in Louisville to stock up on our bourbons

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌊

Oh that sounds wonderful!

21 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

On our last Alaskan cruise on Carnival some years ago we went with two other couples.  Our awesome aft cabins were far too close to the Alchemy Bar, which had a marvelous menu of interesting cocktails as well as a nice selection of liquor, juices, infused syrups and spices.  They encouraged you to order custom drinks and to create new recipes in addition to ordering from the menu.  We had a LOT of fun at this bar throughout the cruise, but really capped it off one night towards the end.  First, one of the couples we were with suggested that they make each of us a "Bourbon Ball."  Then, the other couple had us move on to drinking "Dirty Monkeys."  The bartenders told us to design something new and so we fashioned a combination of these two that we christened "Dirty Monkey Balls."  Within a short time, the entire bar was drinking "Dirty Monkey Balls" and getting pretty dang silly.  Didn't really get in trouble ON that cruise (or any other one for that matter), but the aftermath wasn't pretty.  It seems we had too many wonderful evenings at the Alchemy Bar during the cruise and a few days after I got home I was in the hospital with colitis. I still enjoy my share of wine, beer and spirits throughout my cruises, but I don't drink as much and I spread it out much better throughout the day.  😎

Sorry to hear about the outcome and your colitis, not fun. But I love the thought of you telling the doctor "I guess I consumed one to many dirty monkey balls."

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

We were discussing this not long ago saying ‘we never drink a lot on our cruise’ but on reflection...

We frequently enjoy a Bellini at breakfast

A mid morning long fruity cocktail with something in it

A beer or two with lunch

A really refreshing icy cocktail in the afternoon 

A drink in our room as we get ready for the evening 

Then in addition to the pre and post dinner drinks we will often have wines pared with our meal...Then after returning to our room we finish with a cognac on the balcony.

Somehow we never feel we have drank a lot because we are slowly drinking all day in lots of different venues. We tend to think we have had lots to drink if it is in one bar and within a limited time!?!?

Never got in trouble and I can get lost finding my room without a drink. We did once see an elderly gentleman in the Ensemble Lounge slowly and gently slide down his chair (think slow motion) onto the floor after ‘nodding off’ - his wife was seriously not amused!! 

You sound like our kind of drinkers. Just a nice roll throughout the day, I also  drink a lot of bottled water (luckily I have a large bladder). I tell people that you need to start training well before your trip, so you can enjoy yourself. 😄

I told my wife about a Bellini, but she does not like peach flavor. But she lover her Prosecco.

17 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I told my wife about a Bellini, but she does not like peach flavor. But she lover her Prosecco.

She could always start the day with a Mimosa...A pity not to make the most of a drinks package - even at breakfast!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, chemmo said:

She could always start the day with a Mimosa...A pity not to make the most of a drinks package - even at breakfast!

Wife prefers Champagne for breakfast, I do not often get hangovers but my MSC cruise with premium plus, offered really high end scotch like Johnny Walker blue and they poured doubles which were included, everything sold by the glass was included.

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

I didn’t think anyone seen me do that.  😱.  

Thanks for the gentleman compliment.   It is a lot better than those that my wife called me.  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, SunsetPoint said:

My wife use to send me out to get drinks for sitting on the balcony.   I would take both cards.   I would order two and have one at the bar and then when I got ready to go I would order another round.   I now had 3 drinks.   One was used as a traveler on the way to the cabin and then still have 2 drinks for sitting on the balcony.   My wife finally caught on as it took a long time so now she goes with me.   The only difference is I miss out on the traveler as we will now have a drink at the bar and then order another round to go

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1