Grand or Ruby?

I_r_a

Hi All,

We are planning a cruise to Hawaii, either aboard the Grand out of LA or the Ruby out of SF.

Same cabin - C753.

Is one ship preferable to the other?

Thanks

Ira

Edited by I_r_a
error

The Grand has an indoor pool, so that's nice for the first and last day or two, when it might be chilly to sit/swim outside (I mean, I'm out there if the sun is out, regardless of temp, but I realize not everyone is as single-minded as I in pursuit of the perfect tan). 

Plus, the Grand has one deck fewer cabins, so a smaller passenger load. 

I do like the views from Skywalker's and the bar Adagio, available on the Ruby but neither of which are on the Grand.  However, the food we had on the Grand was among the best in my last three or four cruises.  And I did like Club One-Five, the disco, although I know some don't care for it. 

She's a little longer in the tooth than the Ruby (nothing like using a metaphor that has zero to do with ships!), and there are places where it shows (thick layers of paint, some exterior rusting), but I experienced nothing that impacted my enjoyment of the cruise itself.  I'd pick the Grand.  Enjoy -- I loved my Hawaii cruise and hope to do it again sometime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally prefer the Wheelhouse Bar and Crooners on Ruby as compared to the Grand.  It also seems the Piazza somehow larger/more open on Ruby as well.  That said Alfredo's on Grand a big plus, as is the covered pool.  Both are fine ships.  For me I'd most like end up taking the Ruby as I prefer to sail from San Francisco vs LA - from a pre-cruise city stay and sailaway perspective as well as ease of access to airport.  I'm just not a fan of LA in general.   

• Like 1

There is no doubt that sailing out of San Francisco is a true plus.  Returning is too early in the morning for most people.  

I prefer the Grand for all of the stated reasons.  

And a possible consideration....ELUA (Hawaiian Ambassadors) are more than likely to be assigned to the Grand out of LA.  You will get someone else on the Ruby.  They are a wonderful couple that teaches hula, ukulele, crafts, port talks, entertainment, and just about everything Hawaii.  BIG BIG PLUS.

Think about this....at the LA terminal there is very little to do but in San Francisco there are man things near by & within walking distance. Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is something to experience. 

I’ve only cruised out of LA because it was the cruise I wanted & the price was right. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is something to experience. 

😀

I have experienced it several times:

a) Departing Dan Francisco in winter when it was dark

b) Departing San Fancisco in summer when it was foggy

c) Arriving in San Francisco pre-dawn

Sometime I hope to cruise under the Bridge when it is daylight and not foggy.

89190709 109 19.07.09 Sailaway view of Golden Gate Bridge DSC07694.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, caribill said:

I have experienced it several times:

a) Departing Dan Francisco in winter when it was dark

b) Departing San Fancisco in summer when it was foggy

c) Arriving in San Francisco pre-dawn

Sometime I hope to cruise under the Bridge when it is daylight and not foggy.

89190709 109 19.07.09 Sailaway view of Golden Gate Bridge DSC07694.JPG

Trust me, there is nothing fascinating about sailing under the Golden Bridge.. In my opinion the most fascinating thing is to be stationed somewhere in the southern part beyond the bridge where there is a panorama on the city itself. Its way nice and you can take some nice photos from there. 

11 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I doubt they leave the pool covered. 

I've been on the Grand several times, as well as the Golden and the Star (sister ships to the Grand) and I have never once seen the pool cover opened.  Actually, I've never seen it retracted even once on any Princess sailing.  

Edit:  Just read the post above and that makes sense to retract the roof of the covered pool.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Trust me, there is nothing fascinating about sailing under the Golden Bridge.. In my opinion the most fascinating thing is to be stationed somewhere in the southern part beyond the bridge where there is a panorama on the city itself. Its way nice and you can take some nice photos from there. 

Haha ... I've sailed under the Golden Gate at least 2 dozen times and call me lucky but, I've not seen it like that before.  Don't get me wrong, I've seen the fog roll into SF on many occasion, just not my experience when cruising.  Here is one from my most recent sailing out of SF ... a few months before the pandemic.  

It always thrills me to sail under the GG.  

73372305_3441916252500271_2372406588460761088_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=WsM69IxLS4cAX9cgxYq&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=b34505857eaf92f3f210f25de2d11094&oe=5F7DAAD6

• Like 5

I've not sailed on the Ruby before but, have sailed on the Crown and the Emerald a few times and sailed on the Grand several times.  

There are plusses and minuses for both choices:

Grand Princess

+Covered Pool

+Alfredos 

+Consistently wonderful staff/crew

+Great outdoor covered seating areas behind the One Five Club / Buffet 

- No mid ship stairs for passenger use

- Smaller closets in the cabin

- Skywalkers replaced with the One Five Club

- In need of real maintenance (constant plumbing and ventilation systems), older ship

- Sails out of LA 

Ruby Princess 

+ Newer ship 

+ Adagios

+Sails out of San Francisco, - Seas tend to be very choppy (although to Hawaii, that can happen from LA, too)
- No covered pool 

- Extra passenger deck without adding a lot of extra public space

- Can be quite a bit colder than sailing out of LA (I say that as we just reached record temps in the City yesterday)

Depending on where you are travelling from, I'd still choose the Ruby out of SF, even though a covered pool is a big deal for me.  The pier is in downtown SF so, there is a lot to do right there near the Pier.  As noted above, sailing in and out of SF, under the GG Bridge, is a treat each and every time we've gone.  Plus, I just think the Grand has seen her better days.  

• Like 1

If you never been to LA or San Francisco I would go out go San Francisco. It has one of the best sail aways under the bridge. San Francisco is more compact. You can do a lot more in less time than LA. 

I generally prefer the Grand class ships. However I am not a big fan of the Grand because it has no Skywalkers and no middle stairway. But it is still a great ship. The Ruby is bigger, newer and has a Skywalkers.

All things considered I would take the Ruby. 

• Like 1

Believe me, you won't go wrong with either ship.  I have cruised on both and the worst experience we ever had was wonderful.

A few comments on both.  Some amplify previous posters' comments, and some show my own prejudices.

Grand Princess:

• Alfredos is a joy.  This is a no-charge, sit-down pizzeria.  The only thing on the menu are pizzas.  However, if you want a salad, you can walk a few steps across the Piazza to a very nice walk-up venue called International Cafe where you can chose from three or four salads and take it back to your table in Alfredos.

They do have a modest wine list.  Also, though, they are right next to the Vines wine bar.  So, if nothing on the Alfredos list appeals to you, you can walk over to Vines and pick something by the glass or by the bottle off their list.

Finally, Alfredos is located on Deck 5 which puts it quite close to the waterline.  The cool thing about that is if you are sitting next to a window, there is a very nice view of the ocean.

• Speaking of Vines, on most of the Princess ships they offer no-charge Sushi or Tapas when you order wine.  Somebody may have to check me on this, but my recollection is that Vines on the Grand Princess does not offer the Sushi.  Apparently, there is no space for them to prep and make the Sushi.  Also, the Tapas are not particularly special.  I'm pretty sure they just walk over to the International Cafe and prepare a plate of sliced cheeses, olives, marinated pearl onions or gherkins.

Ruby Princess

• One thing that has not been mentioned by previous posters, is SHARE, a specialty restaurant on Deck 16.  We feel this is the finest dining venue on any Princess ship.  We always visit multiple times on every cruise.  

• I have to confess that I enjoy Skywalkers.  I like to go up there in the afternoon with a book.

Los Angeles vs. San Francisco

I live near the Los Angeles port, and, so, that is always my first choice.  However, since you are considering both, I assume that you have a bit of travel to get to the port.  That, to me, implies that you will, probably be traveling to the port the day before departure and spending a night in a hotel. 

• There are a handful of hotels in San Pedro (Los Angeles port) that cruisers like to use.  At least some of them provide shuttle transportation to the ship.  You would probably take a taxi or Uber/Lyft from your arrival airport to your hotel. 

The San Francisco cruise terminal is quite close to the Fisherman's wharf area.  So, there are numerous hotels there for you to choose.  Since this is a tourist area, I would imagine that these hotels will be a bit more expensive than San Pedro hotels.  Again, from the airport you would probably taxi or Uber/Lyft to your hotel.  However, there used to be a pretty nice, inexpensive, shuttle service from SFO to most of the major hotels in the city.  It's been quite a few years since I have traveled to San Francisco (for business), but I assume this service is still available.  They'll have a booth in the baggage claim area.

• Some people like to take a few days of sightseeing prior to their cruise departure.  In that case, I highly recommend San Francisco.  If you are staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area, you can walk to many sightseeing and dining venues.  Also, though, San Francisco has excellent public transportation options to allow you to go beyond walking range.  Most fun, of course, is the cable car.  There are two cable car terminals in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Sightseeing in Los Angeles is more difficult.  Whereas San Franciso is quite centralized, everything in Los Angeles is quite spread out, and the public transportation options are not great.  You can always rent a car, but, then, you will have to deal with Los Angeles traffic.  No fun.

We have done the Hawaii roundtrip (out of Los Angeles) three times.  It is an awesome cruise.  You can't go wrong on either ship, Ira.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, I_r_a said:

Hi All,

We are planning a cruise to Hawaii, either aboard the Grand out of LA or the Ruby out of SF.

Same cabin - C753.

Is one ship preferable to the other?

Thanks

Ira

We enjoyed the Ruby on a UK circuit cruise. Found it absolutely mediocre on a Hawaii cruise.  The latter, rude staff, poor dining service and mediocre (kind description)  food (one evening 3 of us with the same entree refused it. It all depends upon the executive staff assigned to the cruise.  On the Grand we have cruised South America with excellent service from the Bridge to the elevator cleaning staff. And, equal cudos on Caribbean sails.  In other words... it all depends on the executive staff assigned to the ship at the sail, which we paying customers never know.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I personally prefer the Wheelhouse Bar and Crooners on Ruby as compared to the Grand.  It also seems the Piazza somehow larger/more open on Ruby as well.  That said Alfredo's on Grand a big plus, as is the covered pool.  Both are fine ships.  For me I'd most like end up taking the Ruby as I prefer to sail from San Francisco vs LA - from a pre-cruise city stay and sailaway perspective as well as ease of access to airport.  I'm just not a fan of LA in general.   

I agree about Wheelhouse and Crooner's on Ruby. I also like Adagio for peace and quiet and sometimes there is jazz in the evening. I do like Alfredo's but it's not enough to sway me. San Francisco is easier for us as we can drive there but I get no thrill sailing under the bridge. I'm also not a fan of the smaller closets on Grand or the midship "staircase to nowhere".

I have a absolute preference for Grand and have two cruises booked on her from Los Angeles even though my home port is San Francisco to which I'm closer by something like 6 hours.

Why?

Most notably, one less passenger deck, so less crowding everywhere.

Historically, I would have said WINDOW SUITES.  After Travis however, I'm not seeing these as a great advantage at the moment.

Absolutely LOVE Alfredo's.  Rarely every more than a minute wait to be seated, somehow the staff here always seems to be having the best time of anyone on the ship.

On the other hand, we're booked on Ruby in July, from her new homeport of San Francisco.  We've sailed her and sisters Crown and Emerald previously.  They are fine ships with some nice cabin upgrades (closets). 

We do like Adagio and frequently use it as an alternative to the less desirable Crooners.

Both are fine ships and I recognize many might not (literally) go as far as we do to get to Grand.  I don't think there's a bad choice hopefully the input here helps you refine your decision.

• Like 1