Anyone recently booked a cruise yet? I'm tempted.

Ihearttravel11

34 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I booked a cruise aboard MSC Seaside for Feb 2021 about a month ago. I simply couldn’t pass it up:

- $165 pp (plus $98 tax) for 7 nights in a balcony stateroom
- $100 per cabin onboard credit

- $100 per cabin deposit

- Cancel for any reason until 48 hours prior to departure

Wow, where did you find this amazing deal?

22 minutes ago, drsel said:

Wow, where did you find this amazing deal?

I got a promotional email from MSC. I went ahead and priced it out to see if it was a gimmick but it wasn’t. Booked directly from their website. I need to point out that I received this promotion a few weeks before MSC began sailing in the Mediterranean again. Since then, fares for this cruise have tripled and some of the perks are no longer available. Even the port charges are higher. Glad I booked when I did. 

• Like 4

I had never cruised Carnival before, so when my Sept. Bermuda from NY was cancelled I was so disappointed.  Unfortunately they are not repeating this 9 day discovery cruise again.  I have a refundable $500 deposit and can get that back or wait until Dec. to book another cruise with it plus $600 OBC.  I am looking at three different cruises now, one in Europe for June, 2021, one doing the Mexican Riviera in May and another Bermuda cruise, date TBD. 

I'm really anxious to book something now but my gut is telling me to wait until I see the mainstream lines actually sailing without restrictions.  Perhaps prices will even go down by then.

I'm feeling much better now about cruising in 2021 than I did a month ago. My January 2nd cruise might not sail, but I think there's a great chance my cruise in April will.  I might look for more deals and put a deposit on an even later cruise.  Since i don't have a problem with getting a vaccine or with covid testing, that makes the decision easier for me.  If either or both of those things are required, I'm in.  I'm really looking forward to getting the vaccine and traveling like I used to do.

I could easily see the cruise lines requiring either proof of vaccine or a covid test before sailing.  If they did that, then maybe the mask mandate would go away someday.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I had never cruised Carnival before, so when my Sept. Bermuda from NY was cancelled I was so disappointed.  Unfortunately they are not repeating this 9 day discovery cruise again.  I have a refundable $500 deposit and can get that back or wait until Dec. to book another cruise with it plus $600 OBC.  I am looking at three different cruises now, one in Europe for June, 2021, one doing the Mexican Riviera in May and another Bermuda cruise, date TBD. 

I'm really anxious to book something now but my gut is telling me to wait until I see the mainstream lines actually sailing without restrictions.  Perhaps prices will even go down by then.

But, perhaps they will go up.  My thinking is that once ships start sailing, they will skyrocket (make-up for lost revenue, decreased capacity, more costs per passenger).  This is another reason why I booked now.

• Like 3

I had an October 2020 cruise booked that had me on pins and needles waiting to see if it would sail. I knew it wouldn't, but waiting on an official cancelation was stressful. I decided to go ahead and rebook the Mardi Gras for 2022. I have a feeling the prices will be very high once cruising restarts so I booked at a price I am comfortable with, but also far enough out that hopefully all this "will we ever cruise again" talk will be over. 

I got a promotional email from MSC. I went ahead and priced it out to see if it was a gimmick but it wasn’t. Booked directly from their website. I need to point out that I received this promotion a few weeks before MSC began sailing in the Mediterranean again. Since then, fares for this cruise have tripled and some of the perks are no longer available. Even the port charges are higher. Glad I booked when I did. 
This must have been a personalized email only for you, because even diamond members did not receive any such email or offer in the last few months.

I think you must have spent a lot on your last MSc Cruise either on the cabin or onboard expenses.

if you don't mind me asking, how much did you last MSc Cruise cost per person and how much was your onboard spend ?

45 minutes ago, drsel said:

This must have been a personalized email only for you, because even diamond members did not receive any such email or offer in the last few months.

I think you must have spent a lot on your last MSc Cruise either on the cabin or onboard expenses.

if you don't mind me asking, how much did you last MSc Cruise cost per person and how much was your onboard spend ?

Ha. 🤣 As much as I’d love to feel special, I don’t think that MSC would send a personalized email just for me. I’m a lowly Gold member, and simply because of the loyalty match program. The email that I received advertised the Voyager’s Club 5+5 promotion. Once I entered my Voyager’s Club number and the ages of my kids, the rates for various cruises were amazingly low. I actually took a screenshot of one of the lowest fares on a 4 night cruise that I found to show a friend who didn’t believe me either. 

I’m hardly a big spender. My onboard account is usually pretty low (we purchase a few souvenirs at the logo store, we are not big drinkers, and we may go to an alternative restaurant once during the cruise).

If this upcoming sailing does operate, it will be my 3rd MSC Cruise. My last one was over Thanksgiving 2018 aboard the MSC Meraviglia in the Mediterranean. We did book an Aurea Duplex Suite on that one, but considering the type of accommodation, it was a very affordable cruise. I believe that the total for our family of 4 was a little over $4K (we took advantage of a kids sail free promotion which helped keep the  total cost of that stateroom down). 

I’m hardly the type of cruiser that MSC or any cruise line would target because of my spending habits. I do diligently look for deals which is how I found the upcoming cruise. 

AEF1925F-B26D-481B-9BED-1016A9C9C1A9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

For comparison purposes, the screenshot I shared on my previous post was taken on August 12th. This is a screenshot that just I took today, September 8th, from the MSC website for the same cruise. This is without a Voyager’s Club number, or adding passenger ages. There’s a promotion for a balcony for the same price as an interior, but even with that, fares for that cruise have gone up to what you’d expect to pay for such a cruise. Even the port charges and fees have doubled. 

7B875211-83CE-4E10-95B5-75A1A98CB29A.jpeg

On 9/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, Ihearttravel11 said:

I have $500 in Carnival GC's and am seriously tempted to book a cruise. Not until 2021, at least, though.
There seem to be some decent prices out there, and I am still mourning my cancellation for my Feb cruise on the soon to be, if not already, scrapped Imagination.
Have you booked yet? Are you holding out? Are you tempted too?
I am just worried that if something happens with CCL that I would be out my $.
Thoughts?

I’m booked on a 11 day cruise from San Francisco on the Miracle in August 2021. This will be my 2nd cruise on Carnival. I have cruised a lot with Princess so I’m looking forward to Carnival. I’ll have the experience of learning a new ship. Any suggestions about the Miracle appreciated. I’m in stateroom 4115 & I understand there is no longer the French doors.

I have 2 other cruises booked with Princess, one on a coastal cruise to Astoria Oregon, Vancouver & Victoria Canada & the other to Hawaii both from San Francisco. One plus for me is 250 minutes free Wi-Fi plus free laundry. With Princess you move up with the number of cruises taken or cruise days. 

Curious...Do people book direct with the cruise line or use a T/A?

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

We just moved our Dec 2020 cruise to Dec 2022.  The chances of that 8-day to Aruba and Bonaire actually happening as planned seems slim.

And we have our April 2021 cruise on Mardi Gras still scheduled.

That being said, if cruising does start to resume as planned in Nov, and it all goes OK, then we would not be adverse to booking a short cruise in Jan or so.  Certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at a cruise next Aug/Sept either, but we have other plans penciled in for later in the year that will be a significant time and money sink.  But if that gets scrubbed...we'll go on another cruise!

50 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Do you think MSC is a cruise line worth trying for me?

I've enjoyed MSC tremendously, specially in the Med. I think that they are a bit like Royal Caribbean (maybe one notch below) in terms of wow factor,  energy level, atmosphere, entertainment, etc. Their ships are beautiful, tasteful, and impeccably clean. It's a different vibe though because they cater to a much more international clientele, which I consider a plus (although some people dislike that). Because of the mix of languages, entertainment, while still professional, tends to a bit less verbal (no comedians for example). 

I do think that their pricing is great since they tend to be "Carnival cheap" but for a product that I consider superior. They do have different "classes" of service, from the cheapest (Bella) which is pretty bare bones, to Fantastica, Aurea, and the top of the line Yacht Club which is the ship within a ship concept. So you can choose to save money on a more standard experience, or splurge on a more upscale one.  

Give it a try! That's the only way to know if you'll like it :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

I've enjoyed MSC tremendously, specially in the Med. I think that they are a bit like Royal Caribbean (maybe one notch below) in terms of wow factor,  energy level, atmosphere, entertainment, etc. Their ships are beautiful, tasteful, and impeccably clean. It's a different vibe though because they cater to a much more international clientele, which I consider a plus (although some people dislike that). Because of the mix of languages, entertainment, while still professional, tends to a bit less verbal (no comedians for example). 

I do think that their pricing is great since they tend to be "Carnival cheap" but for a product that I consider superior. They do have different "classes" of service, from the cheapest (Bella) which is pretty bare bones, to Fantastica, Aurea, and the top of the line Yacht Club which is the ship within a ship concept. So you can choose to save money on a more standard experience, or splurge on a more upscale one.  

Give it a try! That's the only way to know if you'll like it 🙂

Thanks for the info! I figure that you’re one of the few who actually knows my real preferences here 😂😂

I’ll start looking at their itineraries and try to see what they have to offer. 

8 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Thanks for the info! I figure that you’re one of the few who actually knows my real preferences here 😂😂

yes, based on what you share on CC about what you like and dislike, i think MSC may be worth a try. Now, don't get mad at me if you don't like it! :classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Tapi said:

yes, based on what you share on CC about what you like and dislike, i think MSC may be worth a try. Now, don't get mad at me if you don't like it! :classic_biggrin:

Hmm, MSC is offering cruises out of Port Canaveral, my preferred (easy driving distance) port.  Maybe just for entertainment purposes I will browse around.

• Like 1

I have every confidence that Carnival will resume in November, limited to be sure, with safety protocols that will have little effect on my ability to enjoy myself.  My next reservation is in late February on Panorama. Mexico is open and Long Beach is already using staggered boarding to avoid crowds. 

Next is a 22 day b-to-b in June on Spirit. This sails from Singapore to the Great Barrier Reef and New Caledonia ending in Brisbane. Currently the countries are closed to Americans, and Australia is closed to cruise ships. Airfare is high because the Asian budget carriers are not operating. I expect this all to change in November as the vaccine is available and frankly the masses have had it up over the mustache with obstructionist Governors holding a tight lid on the economy harming millions of people. 

Lastly, in March 2022 I am booked on Panorama for the Carnival 50th Sailabration. At that time I want this all to be a fading memory of the horrible events of 2020. 

I say go ahead and book. You'll be glad you did.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

I don't know your real preferences but I was on MSC twice and loved it.  My Oct 2020 was canceled and so was my Oct 2021....it looks like no more sailing out of NYC with really upset me.

I find MSC more upscale (your fellow passengers).  The ships are beautiful.  The entertainment is top notch.  However, "fine dining" it's not.  The buffet has limited options (you won't go hungry).  Their pizza is excellent (take from a 71 year old native NYer).  The food in the MDR wasn't impressive either.  But to be fair, I don't really care for the Carnival buffet or MDR.

If I had a choice of MSC or Carnival or NCL (I only sail out of NYC; I can walk to the terminal)....it would be MSC!

I forgot to mention the price....lol.  Maybe not always $59/pp....but compared to Carnival it's a steal.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1