Haters Trying To Influence CDC

Elaine5715

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Are you a doctor or have you talked to your doctor about this? If you can get a lung infection from wearing your own mask then I'd guess you stand a far greater chance by not wearing a mas.

Read my previous post.  My doctor said there was an uptick in lung infections/bronchitis and he attributes it to the improper wearing of masks. 

4 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Just a word of advice. She’s a well known antagonist around here. Let her have the last word and just ignore her going forward. 

I wish I had an internet medical degree.  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

When false or misleading information is posted, I think it should be countered -- especially if it is not going to be removed.

The problem is the snarkyness (is that a word??) of her reply.  I am sure my doctor didn't get his information from FB. I choose to believe what my doctor told me.  He did not tell me not to wear a mask.  Who knows what is false and misleading when even the CDC can't get their story straight.  The WHO says no child under the age of 5 should wear a mask.  The CDC says every child over the age of 2 should wear a mask.  Who do you believe?

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Who knows what is false and misleading when even the CDC can't get their story straight.  The WHO says no child under the age of 5 should wear a mask.  The CDC says every child over the age of 2 should wear a mask.  Who do you believe?

I read both the WHO and the CDC guidances just now. I don't really see a conflict.

First, WHO's guidance does not say that "no child under 5 should wear a mask" -- far from it. The exact wording is that "WHO and UNICEF advise decision makers to apply the following criteria..."  And in addition they go on to say in the following paragraph:

"The experts (following the methods described above) recognized that the evidence supporting the choice of the age cut-off is limited (see above, section related to transmission of COVID-19 in children), and they reached this decision mainly by consensus."  (e.g., NOT by evidence.)  In addition, the WHO guidance also clearly recognizes the fact that "In some countries, guidance and policies recommend a different and lower age cut-off for mask use."

CDC is creating a guidance for the US -- perhaps in the US there is a greater likelihood than in the global population that children younger than 5 will not be kept at home -- e.g., will go to daycare or preschool, or will accompany a parent on errands or visits outside the home. Whatever the case, CDC does account for the fact that mask wearing in younger children may not always be possible.

.......In short, I don't see people having trouble "getting the story straight".  What I DO see is people grasping at any small straw to justify a position that simply isn't supported.

Edited to add:  the WHO guidance is available here:  https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

and CDC's is here:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/protect-children.html#:~:text=Children 2 years of age,situation or for some people.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I read both the WHO and the CDC guidances just now. I don't really see a conflict.

First, WHO's guidance does not say that "no child under 5 should wear a mask" -- far from it. The exact wording is that "WHO and UNICEF advise decision makers to apply the following criteria..."  And in addition they go on to say in the following paragraph:

"The experts (following the methods described above) recognized that the evidence supporting the choice of the age cut-off is limited (see above, section related to transmission of COVID-19 in children), and they reached this decision mainly by consensus."  (e.g., NOT by evidence.)  In addition, the WHO guidance also clearly recognizes the fact that "In some countries, guidance and policies recommend a different and lower age cut-off for mask use."

CDC is creating a guidance for the US -- perhaps in the US there is a greater likelihood than in the global population that children younger than 5 will not be kept at home -- e.g., will go to daycare or preschool, or will accompany a parent on errands or visits outside the home. Whatever the case, CDC does account for the fact that mask wearing in younger children may not always be possible.

.......In short, I don't see people having trouble "getting the story straight".  What I DO see is people grasping at any small straw to justify a position that simply isn't supported.

Edited to add:  the WHO guidance is available here:  https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

and CDC's is here:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/protect-children.html#:~:text=Children 2 years of age,situation or for some people.

Thank you for that information.  This actually proves my point that so much wrong, ambiguous and good information is out there and you don't know what to believe. I heard the children's mask info from what I thought was a reliable source, on a local news broadcast.  They actually did a whole segment on the merits of children wearing masks.  They also touched on the discrepancies between  the two organizations which brought up the age recommendation.  It is possible that this information has changed over the course of this virus.   I know that the CDC has issued statements and then immediately withdrew the same. 

2 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Thank you for that information.  This actually proves my point that so much wrong, ambiguous and good information is out there and you don't know what to believe. I heard the children's mask info from what I thought was a reliable source, on a local news broadcast.  They actually did a whole segment on the merits of children wearing masks.  They also touched on the discrepancies between  the two organizations which brought up the age recommendation.  It is possible that this information has changed over the course of this virus.   I know that the CDC has issued statements and then immediately withdrew the same. 

You're very welcome. I find that many reporters (and not just reporters) do not take the time to present the full picture but instead try to create controversy where there is none!  I have learned to look at the sources and try to piece together the best understanding that I can. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You're very welcome. I find that many reporters (and not just reporters) do not take the time to present the full picture but instead try to create controversy where there is none!  I have learned to look at the sources and try to piece together the best understanding that I can. 

Exactly correct. We have to research information, from reputable sites, to get to the correct information.

6 hours ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Exactly correct. We have to research information, from reputable sites, to get to the correct information.

Too many people define a reputable site or source as one that agrees with their preconceived notions.

(Note this is not aimed at the poster quoted.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Oh I know! But I should have been clearer.  

No, you were fine. I understood that you were referring to legitimate medical sources. I just wanted to make the point that people sometime define legitimate sources as any that agree with their own ideas.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, clo said:

I had wondered about that. We did an Antarctica cruise a couple of years ago.

Antarctic cruise lines require a health certificate from your doctor and you are screened during boarding for any physical issue that might impact being away from a hospital for the during of the cruise.  Did this with Hurtigruten embarking in Ushuaia several years ago.  No brainer - its for your safety and that of the rest of the people on board.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

When is the madness going stop?  Are we going to stop living?  We can't  cruise. We can't go to sports events. Kids can't trick or treat.  Fall festivals are being canceled.  People have to work 8+ hours a day wearing a mask and that's not healthy.  Kids can't go to school and parents are struggling to keep up.  This is not living.  Sorry, I just had to get this out.

These types of rants are seriously unhelpful and even disrespectful to those of us posting on CC.  The COVID-19 virus is dangerous and deadly, it is mutating to make itself easier to transmit, and is a human, not jus a national, crisis.  One of the reasons Schengen has barred Americans from their countries is because of this type of cavalier American perspective on human health and transmutability of this virus.  We are in a collective health fight, not a personal one.  "Woe is me" just doesn't work.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Antarctic cruise lines require a health certificate from your doctor and you are screened during boarding for any physical issue that might impact being away from a hospital for the during of the cruise.  Did this with Hurtigruten embarking in Ushuaia several years ago.  No brainer - its for your safety and that of the rest of the people on board.

Yep. We were on Hurtigruten's Midnatsol.

48 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

These types of rants are seriously unhelpful and even disrespectful to those of us posting on CC.  The COVID-19 virus is dangerous and deadly, it is mutating to make itself easier to transmit, and is a human, not jus a national, crisis.  One of the reasons Schengen has barred Americans from their countries is because of this type of cavalier American perspective on human health and transmutability of this virus.  We are in a collective health fight, not a personal one.  "Woe is me" just doesn't work.

Ok