CCL Terminates Senior Officers

VMax1700

No surprise.  No cruises, no customers, fewer ships.  Plus an extended horizon to cruise resumptions.

No different than any other business that is forced to downsize.   Certainly a small drop in the bucket compared to world wide downsizing/layoffs that are attributable to the covid situation.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t know.  I worked for some very large oil companies in the 70s and 80s, a period when oil prices were wildly fluctuating.  Companies would often cut a massive number/Percentage of employees to stop the bleed. 6 months later those old employees would line up for a new job opportunities at the same or similar companies.  Rarely did any go bankrupt and even those that teetered would come back another day.  

I hope you're right..

While 7K from Carnival is far from trivial and I feel for those let go, its nothing compares to the attrition that is coming to the US Airlines come October 1st. From what I've read United is looking to layoff 17K, American 19K. Delta has only announce that 2K of pilots are going to get laid off, but I'll bet there are more FAs/Front Line workers going to get hurt too. 

6 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

7000 gone from Carnival, Hal and Princess to follow, so basically they are broke.

Since nearly all of Carnival's crew are home, they are not receiving any pay, so whether they remain employed or are let go, it makes no difference to Carnival's bottom line at this time.  90% of the crew are contract workers who get paid while on the ship, and don't get paid when off the ship.

• Like 3

It does not matter where covid originated.  What matters now is how we move forward to control the spread and treat those who are infected  until a more permanent solution is found.  

So far there is a great deal of difference between how different countries have and are reacting to the challenge and what their respective levels of success have been.   

The numbers tell the story. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Since nearly all of Carnival's crew are home, they are not receiving any pay, so whether they remain employed or are let go, it makes no difference to Carnival's bottom line at this time.  90% of the crew are contract workers who get paid while on the ship, and don't get paid when off the ship.

Aren't there unions involved?

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thank you. I was about to ask.

9 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

What does that have to do with this?  This is how pay on cruise ships, and nearly all ships around the world, has been for decades, when you work you get paid, when you're home you don't.  Some of the officers and senior staff have their wages cut in half, so that half is paid while working, and the other half is paid the day they sign off as "vacation pay".  Either way, once the crew head home, the company does not pay them until they report back aboard ship.  But, yes, nearly all crew, from whatever country, are represented by a maritime union in their home country, but these unions are more of a employment agency than a union in the US sense, they have little power, and only marginal ability to negotiate labor contracts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Sad. How does this affect the pension of those that are retired, or do they pay into a pension fund?  

Most crew do not have any pension plan.  European officers that I know pay into employee contribution union pensions or personal retirement plans.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, iancal said:

It does not matter where covid originated.  What matters now is how we move forward to control the spread and treat those who are infected  until a more permanent solution is found.  

So far there is a great deal of difference between how different countries have and are reacting to the challenge and what their respective levels of success have been.   

The numbers tell the story. 

While I agree that we need to move forward and manage the situation as best we can, I do not agree that where it originated does not matter.

IMO, it matters a great deal. That information could very well help us prevent future calamities originating from the same place. We also need to know how it originated....the specifics about its origin.

• Like 5

On 9/22/2020 at 1:28 AM, Sir PMP said:

I am sure they are- but to what use? Where there is no work, there is no money. If the Unions plan on big compensations- the cruise lines will be broke - and that does not help them in the long run.

I feel terribly sorry for all those in the cruise industry who currently out of work. They have familes- some may have mortages to pay. Terrible , terrible situation. The only hope is that crusing reasumes soon.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 4:56 AM, chengkp75 said:

What does that have to do with this?  This is how pay on cruise ships, and nearly all ships around the world, has been for decades, when you work you get paid, when you're home you don't.  Some of the officers and senior staff have their wages cut in half, so that half is paid while working, and the other half is paid the day they sign off as "vacation pay".  Either way, once the crew head home, the company does not pay them until they report back aboard ship.  But, yes, nearly all crew, from whatever country, are represented by a maritime union in their home country, but these unions are more of a employment agency than a union in the US sense, they have little power, and only marginal ability to negotiate labor contracts.

YES, there are active unions for much of the crews

On 9/21/2020 at 3:16 PM, mamaofami said:

This is sad, but not surprising. The cruise industry has been hit hard and it’s going to take a while before it gets up and profitable again.

All of the travel industry is just about'  closed down for now..  ?

CCL,  Princess

Costa

HAL

P& O 

Cunard

NCL

Celebrity

RCI

Windstar

etc,

etc,

On 9/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

I wonder what the status of our friend Captain Albert is.  HAL won't need as many men in his position as they have in the past.  

He's in a bit of a different situation since, in his current function, he is not assigned to a ship in particular. When HAL lost four ships, eight captains/eight staff captains, etc. down the line, lost their ships with only one new ship joining next year. Doing the math is easy; they went from fourteen to ten ships, that's a lot of staff from those four ships to absorb elsewhere.........

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1