Positive cases on cruise ship docked in Greece

cruz-control

Positive cases on cruise ship docked in Greece

A dozen crew members have tested positive for the virus on board the cruise ship Mein Schiff 6.

The cruise was the first to dock in Greece after the Covid-19 lockdown, and is currently moored off the Aegean island of Milos, AFP news agency reports.

Tests were carried out on 150 of the ship's 666 crew members. Those who tested positive have now been isolated on board.

The ship was heading towards Piraeus, near Athens, but is now waiting for instructions from the country's public health agency.

Source: BBC News

30 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

some people need to get their head out of the sand. i respect those that want to sail now but after 50 cruises....i will wait. let the guinea pigs go

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MSC has had 6 sailings on the Grandiosa so far with 0 cases of COVID. I think the guinea pigs are doing just fine. 🙂

I'm not sure I'm ready to sail tomorrow, but by the new year, definitely. 👍

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

let the guinea pigs go

We need guinea pigs to know if the new measures work. Somebody has to do it!  

I’m not that concerned if some people still manage to get Covid even with all the procedures in place. What I am concerned about is with what the cruise lines will do in case that does happen. If this situation is handled properly and satisfactorily, and we don’t get a repeat of Diamond Princess, this will only help the cruise industry and help regain the confidence of the traveling public that may be worried about being stuck at sea. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I’m not that concerned if some people still manage to get Covid even with all the procedures in place. What I am concerned about is with what the cruise lines will do in case that does happen. If this situation is handled properly and satisfactorily, and we don’t get a repeat of Diamond Princess, this will only help the cruise industry and help regain the confidence of the traveling public that may be worried about being stuck at sea. 

Believe it or not, my wife and I are booked next April on the Diamond Princess. (true story, we booked before COVID)

• Like 5

real pigs not humans

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Believe it or not, my wife and I are booked next April on the Diamond Princess. (true story, we booked before COVID)

My wife & I and her brother, niece & mother all cruised on the Diamond Princess a few years ago on an Alaska cruise from Vancouver, BC to Whittier, AK. Little did we know how famous the ship would become a few years later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LouChamp said:

some people need to get their head out of the sand. i respect those that want to sail now but after 50 cruises....i will wait. let the guinea pigs go

This IS the new norm. Things won’t be any different next year. Some will get the vaccine. Some will refuse. Some vaccines will work, some won’t. (Remembering that an “effective” vaccine only has to have positive results in 50% of the people who take it.) And there will be cases of COVID on ships (like there are cases of Noro). 

You want a proof of vaccination record, I can whip one up as fast as I can whip up a “comfort animal” certificate. I can even give you and embossed seal with official sound words in Latin. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This IS the new norm. Things won’t be any different next year. Some will get the vaccine. Some will refuse. Some vaccines will work, some won’t. (Remembering that an “effective” vaccine only has to have positive results in 50% of the people who take it.) And there will be cases of COVID on ships (like there are cases of Noro). 

You want a proof of vaccination record, I can whip one up as fast as I can whip up a “comfort animal” certificate. I can even give you and embossed seal with official sound words in Latin. 

Given the number of people I see saying they won't cruise until things are "back to normal," I'm gonna assume the ships are going to sail at well below maximum capacity. Fine by me! No more waiting for drinks at the bar or deck chairs. Win/win.

• Like 3

I think the way to look at this is are you willing to risk your life to live your fullest life?  Everyone's answer to that is going to be different (what is the highest level of risk that is).  I for one hope that I will be boarding my next cruise which is only about 100 days out.  

I want to make the sound for guinea pigs as a funny reply, but I only know the normal pig sound (so I guess "oink oink").

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, oteixeira said:

I think the way to look at this is are you willing to risk your life to live your fullest life?  Everyone's answer to that is going to be different (what is the highest level of risk that is).  I for one hope that I will be boarding my next cruise which is only about 100 days out.  

I want to make the sound for guinea pigs as a funny reply, but I only know the normal pig sound (so I guess "oink oink").

I think that's an excellent point, about what everyone's risk tolerance is. From everything I've read, my risk level is very low so I am not worried. I'll have to see if I can found a file for the guinea pig sound, though, LOL! I really hope you get to go on your cruise in 100 days. Mine is only 97 days away, so we're cruising about the same time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

If governments are going to force cruise lines to lock all passengers up on ships for weeks on end if there is a single Covid diagnosis, then we need to start doing that at all the Walmarts, Home Depots, Krogers, etc.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

And suppose you're one of those people who get covid?  Still not concerned? 

• Like 1

Not gonna panic over 12 crew infected if they show they can control it with quarantine and determine who among passengers are at risk and need to be tested.  But that is the thing... if a lot of passengers need to be tested to be allowed to leave the ship and travel home... we need a reliable and fast test they can use.  Then we need to know how they got infected.  There are some rumors crew are being allowed onshore to shop while passengers are kept in a bubble.  That's not going to work.  Crew need to be able to shop for personal needs.  How will this be handled?

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

And suppose you're one of those people who get covid?  Still not concerned? 

Of course there’s always a certain level of concern about contracting Covid, whether I’m on land or at sea. But the statement that I made was cruise specific. For me, testing positive while on a cruise wouldn’t be as much of a concern as how the cruise line will handle things. That to me would be a much bigger concern.

• Like 4

You can create as many tests as you like, but Covid-19 has a 0-14 day incubation period, so how many contacts will you meet in that time? 
You can have a test, and open a door a minute later with covid.

Cruise lines haven’t got the discipline to eliminate outbreaks of nova virus. 🤒🤮🤧👎

• Like 1