Common Bonds:A non Covid thread

lenquixote66

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You have Clo and her husband,look above.

I don't think that is a photo of Clo's husband - I believe she is pictured with a local she met in Montenegro. 😏

If I posted a link to that thread, the same photo would appear - we members have no control over what appears in the link's preview pane.

Edited by dogs4fun

3 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I don't think that is a photo of Clo's husband - I believe she is pictured with a local she met in Montenegro. 😏

If I posted a link to that thread, the same photo would appear - we members have no control over what appears in the link's preview pane.

I am not able to do links so I have no idea.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Although it may be hard to believe I suffer from a form of dementia and at times I cannot remember if I have posted something previously.There are always new people on CC who may not have read a prior thread of the same subject.

I enjoy meeting people who graduated the same schools as I have.Everyone has different interests ,correct ?

Lenny, post what you want and as often as you want. Who cares?!. Never mind, obviously someone does.

Back to your topic; I've never run into anyone from my past or even currently in my life while on a cruise. We've run into a few cruisers we've met on past cruises. On our September 2019 cruise on the Summit I went to a Veterans get together. There was another Vietnam Vet there that was stationed at  Da Nang AFB Vietnam the same time I was and in the same squadron. Different jobs so we didn't know each other. Close though. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Lenny, post what you want and as often as you want. Who cares?!. Never mind, obviously someone does.

Back to your topic; I've never run into anyone from my past or even currently in my life while on a cruise. We've run into a few cruisers we've met on past cruises. On our September 2029 on the Summit I went to a Veterans get together. There was another Vietnam Vet there that was stationed at  Da Nang AFB Vietnam the same time I was and in the same squadron. Different jobs so we didn't know each other. Close though. 

Thanks,Dave.Have I ever said that you are one of the nicest people who I ever posted to on CC ?

For about 5 years I posted to a guy living in California who grew up in my part of NY.When the board was closing we exchanged e-mail addresses .He now refers to me as his best friend who he never met.

• Thanks 1

A couple of times I have seen people with t shirts from my two alma maters....... One asked and we chatted a bit.
Have bumped into a neighbor, a colleague, and a couple of "haven't we met before"s who I have no idea of!🙃

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Lenny, post what you want and as often as you want. Who cares?!.

Let's stop this "tempest in a teapot".  I agree with you davekathy.  

I made a comment on this thread.  I don't cruise wearing whatever I may wear that identifies me of whatever organization of which I am proud to represent seeking others that have any affinity with that organization.  If such recognition happens, it totally surprises me.  Such becomes part of a pleasant memory of that cruise.  If further contact with that person during the cruise or afterwards, fine.  If not, fine.  It makes no difference.  

I regard such a "meeting" at the same level of importance of those good people with whom I meet at the Ocean Bar during Happy Hour.  We enjoy each other's company at that time.  Upon disembarkation, we go our separate ways.  Do we maintain contact with any of these people?  Yes, in a few cases.  (And, am most surely pleased to do so!)  Most?  No.  

• Like 1

Never met anyone we knew or shared a common bond with on a cruise, but did bump into people from our neck of the woods in the middle of Australia at Uluru.  DH was wearing a t-shirt bearing the logo of one of our local rugby league clubs at the time and that was why the couple approached us for a chat.

• Like 1

Not from school, but one morning we shared a table at breakfast with another couple. As we chatted, the husband recognized my western Canadian accent (didn't know I had one) and asked where we were from. Turned out they were originally from a community about 5 miles from us and discovered we knew some of the same people. They had moved to the US for business and subsequently, retired in North Carolina. Small world.

Edited by Northumberland
Correct spelling

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Let's stop this "tempest in a teapot".  I agree with you davekathy.  

I made a comment on this thread.  I don't cruise wearing whatever I may wear that identifies me of whatever organization of which I am proud to represent seeking others that have any affinity with that organization.  If such recognition happens, it totally surprises me.  Such becomes part of a pleasant memory of that cruise.  If further contact with that person during the cruise or afterwards, fine.  If not, fine.  It makes no difference.  

I regard such a "meeting" at the same level of importance of those good people with whom I meet at the Ocean Bar during Happy Hour.  We enjoy each other's company at that time.  Upon disembarkation, we go our separate ways.  Do we maintain contact with any of these people?  Yes, in a few cases.  (And, am most surely pleased to do so!)  Most?  No.  

We made many friendships on cruises.One couple who we met in 2017 and are in e-mail and telephone contact on a regular basis .

On 10/3/2020 at 10:01 AM, cruisemom42 said:

And my conversations with others onboard ship are more about traveling experiences than where they are from or where they went to school.

Yikes.  Seems like a pretty normal part of casual conversation for someone to ask about where you are from.  I would have never thought of that as a negative thing to ask about.   I guess I learn something new every day.  

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We made many friendships on cruises.One couple who we met in 2017 and are in e-mail and telephone contact on a regular basis .

We bumped into a family we knew from our town.  We also met a couple for the first time on board who it turned out lived in our same neighborhood.   

20 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yikes.  Seems like a pretty normal part of casual conversation for someone to ask about where you are from.  I would have never thought of that as a negative thing to ask about.   I guess I learn something new every day.  

I can't say that I've ever asked anyone where they went to school unless I happen to find out that they grew up in my home town. But to not ask people where they are from? That is unusual in my experience.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Not negative. Just meant that it would be about the eleventy-fifth thing I would think to bring up in a conversation.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not negative. Just meant that it would be about the eleventy-fifth thing I would think to bring up in a conversation.

Oh, I understood where you were coming from.  But most conversations are two-way.  I figured you must have been asked the question many times as a normal part of someone chatting with you.   

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Oh, I understood where you were coming from.  But most conversations are two-way.  I figured you must have been asked the question many times as a normal part of someone chatting with you.   

I honestly cannot recall being asked that question many times -- maybe because I don't tend to travel with American groups, and most others would have no idea even if they asked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

I can't say that I've ever asked anyone where they went to school unless I happen to find out that they grew up in my home town. But to not ask people where they are from? That is unusual in my experience.

I wear tee shirts on cruises from the town I grew up in and the town I live in now.As I previously stated I wear a tee shirt from the college I graduated.I wear then everywhere not just everywhere not just on cruises.They are a means of getting into conversation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I honestly cannot recall being asked that question many times -- maybe because I don't tend to travel with American groups, and most others would have no idea even if they asked.

I get that.  Not many even in the US would know my town.  Typically when asked I say the San Francisco area or even California.   

Take care.   

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I get that.  Not many even in the US would know my town.  Typically when asked I say the San Francisco area or even California.   

Take care.   

I have a daughter living in a city in NY with a population of a bit over 700 people.I have never met anyone living in NY who ever heard of the town.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is from the Philippines and enjoys chatting in the mother tongue with the filipino workers on board.  One day, she wore a pullover with her college fraternity insignia on it.  A bar server gave her the secret handshake ( yes, apparently  adults still do these things).  It turns out that there are usually 2 or 3 "brothers" on each cruise we are on. Have not meet any "sisters"yet.  She has made some great friendships from this connection.  

On 10/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, ldubs said:

On 10/4/2020 at 1:52 PM, Sea42 said:

Thank you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking a person where they’re from. 

• Like 2