Update from NCL, Oct 5th. Suspended sailing extensions.

ColeThornton

Didn't want this to get lost in other threads so......

TRAVEL ALERT Updated: October 5, 2020 - Suspended Cruises

The safety, security and well-being of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. We continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. With COVID-19 continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of all voyages through November 2020 and cruises on Norwegian Star, Norwegian Spirit, and Norwegian Dawn through March 2021.

We are committed to taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19 and are working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies. While this may result in additional future changes, please know our teams are working around the clock to do what is right by our guests and travel partners. We continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide additional updates as they are available.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. We are on the Dawn Feb. 8, 2021 from Dubai, final payment coming up. Sounds like its cancelled but they haven't notified us yet. We only put a Cruise Next as deposit but it is past expiry date. Any idea what they will do with it? 

Tony

9 minutes ago, disneykins said:

Thanks for the heads up. We are on the Dawn Feb. 8, 2021 from Dubai, final payment coming up. Sounds like its cancelled but they haven't notified us yet. We only put a Cruise Next as deposit but it is past expiry date. Any idea what they will do with it? 

Tony

depending on the expiry date, they might be able to transfer it another cruise. if that new new cruise is canceled by you or the cruise line, you will lose it

13 minutes ago, roger001 said:

My opinion...jerks!   Only two days ago they were taking payment in full on numerous cruises to be sailed out of Miami in November.  This isn't something that they flipped a coin on yesterday.  

Unless that is exactly what happened.  The lack of the meeting with the government could have "flipped this coin" for them, and made them make this choice over the weekend.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Methinks that a change from 25% to 10% incentive will cause a LOT more people to choose refund.

Ah but it is a 10% discount off the new cruise rather than a 25% addition to what you had paid.  If you have only paid the deposit at this point the 10% will represent significantly more that you would have received previously

Edited by SpainAlien
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Methinks that a change from 25% to 10% incentive will cause a LOT more people to choose refund.

i think the reason why they are only giving 10% is due to the current 15% latitude sale

if you combine the 10% on top of the latitude sale, you are still getting 25% in a roundabout way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

My opinion...jerks!   Only two days ago they were taking payment in full on numerous cruises to be sailed out of Miami in November.  This isn't something that they flipped a coin on yesterday.  

It's a gamble.  I don't think may people who booked were confident about sailing.  More like...it was all about getting 25% off a future cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Ah but it is a 10% discount off the new cruise rather than a 25% addition to what you had paid.  If you have only paid the deposit at this point the 10% will represent significantly more that you would have received previously

But not good if you've paid in full. I booked with the impression that if they cancelled we'd get 125% return. 

The FAQ's show a contradiction in the refund/FCC, etc.  The press release seems to indicated a Full refund is automatic.   The FAQ's say something different.  

Press release states:

Guests who had an active reservation on a suspended cruises in November 2020 through March 2021 will automatically receive a refund of their cruise fare in the original form of a payment for the amount paid within 25 days. Additionally, a 10% off coupon will be automatically added to the guest's account which is valid for one year from date of issue, and can be used for any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage embarking through 2022 and is combinable with any FCCs and all future promotions at time of booking."

The FAQ States: 

FULL CASH BOOKING: If an affected booking has a full cash (credit card or check) payment, they will have the choice to either retain the 125% value FCC, or they can submit for a cash refund when the web form goes live.

4 minutes ago, Married90 said:

The FAQ's show a contradiction in the refund/FCC, etc.  The press release seems to indicated a Full refund is automatic.   The FAQ's say something different.  

Press release states:

Guests who had an active reservation on a suspended cruises in November 2020 through March 2021 will automatically receive a refund of their cruise fare in the original form of a payment for the amount paid within 25 days. Additionally, a 10% off coupon will be automatically added to the guest's account which is valid for one year from date of issue, and can be used for any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage embarking through 2022 and is combinable with any FCCs and all future promotions at time of booking."

The FAQ States: 

FULL CASH BOOKING: If an affected booking has a full cash (credit card or check) payment, they will have the choice to either retain the 125% value FCC, or they can submit for a cash refund when the web form goes live.

I guess we will find out when we receive the email relating to our particular booking.  At least we now KNOW it's cancelled rather than still hanging on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I guess we will find out when we receive the email relating to our particular booking.  At least we now KNOW it's cancelled rather than still hanging on

I called them this morning. The person I spoke to said it was a refund with the 10% coupon. There is no other option.

2 hours ago, disneykins said:

Tony

Sounds like they already extended the certificate if it's past expiry. I hear they do this once, then back to original date if canceled. This happened to me, maybe Norwegian will push out certificates because of the virus,  but so far have been very quiet. 

30 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i think the reason why they are only giving 10% is due to the current 15% latitude sale

if you combine the 10% on top of the latitude sale, you are still getting 25% in a roundabout way

Perhaps. If you book right away and choose the right sailing.  But this "sale" is priced well above the price I got for my February booking. About $400 higher.  So my $2200 cruise, vs. today's $2600 sale price at 10% off is $2340.  Not impressed. The people who hung in there all this time for November deserve better.

The email I got from NCL just a few minutes ago (my trip is paid in full) sounded as if I was getting a refund period... no idea if I can apply the 10% to a cruise I have already booked... guess I will find out... 

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Probably a lot of people ... like me... paid for these cruises with FCC already. I was expecting the extra 25% bonus, freaking cheap ncl ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's a gamble.  I don't think may people who booked were confident about sailing.  More like...it was all about getting 25% off a future cruise.

Exactly. The last COVID cruise I booked was an August cruise that I was sure would be cancelled and it was. But I didn't book any additional "likely to be cancelled cruise" because they could change their refund terms with each new round. Also, I did not get an additional discount with my August or October cancellation. Has NCL even been offering the discounts with the last few cancellation rounds? I got a 20% discount with my April cancellation. That was it.

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yep, that was me.  Will spend the money on a cruise anyway so paying ahead of time to maybe get 25% totally worth it.

5 hours ago, roger001 said:

Indeed, but where have you been hiding.....they've been doing this every month approximately since April, so not a knew phenomenon!?

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1