No Australian Travel till late 2021

emmas gran

The Treasury leader in Australia says international visitors not likely till late 2021, they want a vaccine before releasing Australia for travel in or out

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/grim-forecast-about-when-you-can-travel-overseas/news-story/ce7195e4de72508747c8fb994b8def35

3 minutes ago, drsel said:
1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:
Australia used to be on my bucket list..

Why used to be ? why not any more?

If they don’t need me, I sure don’t need them.  They should shut down forever. 

We were supposed to cruise with Australian friends in November and then go spend time at their new home, really sad its not happening. We met these friends in 2011 and have done 7 cruises together since one being S America and Machu Picchu on Infinity, they have been to the UK and we have been to Sydney . Another highlight was a cruise on Solstice Perth to Sydney, we then flew back to Adelaide toured the wine regions and the drive back to Sydney with a trunk full of lovely wine. A memorable holiday!!

• Like 3

I do not blame them.  I believe other countries will be taking a similar approach.   Especially island nations with limited resources. 

We have two of five of the last winters partially in Australia.  We plan to return.

You cannot condemn a country for placing the health and safety of their population about all other considerations. 

It is unfortunate  that some  other nations have not done the same.   Compare those countries covid stats with those of Australia.   The numbers tell the story.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Ridiculous. It's not that they don't need you. They don't want the virus. Although with that closed attitude, they won't miss you. That's for sure. 

Phil 

Well said Phil And ECCruise

Liz

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The slow reality I’ve come to here in Virginia is: no vaccine, no cruising. No excursion bubble, masks or testing can really assure a safe voyage these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same here. Sad, but true. I'm keeping so many things crossed for a vaccine that I've fallen over at least half a dozen times!

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, drsel said:

Wow, that's really strong language.
Of course, Australia is the most expensive tourist destination in the world.

Australia most expensive tourist destination in the world, really? Am I misunderstanding something, never dound it that expensive, once you get there 

36 minutes ago, drsel said:

Ha Ha and England is third above Norway and "Ice Land" ...hotel accomodation in Australia (with the xeception of a few outliers e.g. Park Hyatt) is way cheaper than many of those countries

It may depend on where you live.  We have done 2  one month trips to Australia as part of our winter travels..   We find that because of our currency  (Canada) Australian travel actually less expensive than the US   In fact, we have bypassed the US for the past three or four years in favor of other destinations.  

We have found car rentals and domestic air to be the same.  Gas and hotel accommodations more expensive.  Restaurant meals the same when you factor in taxes and tips.  At first we thought it more expensive.  When we returned home and calculated what we spent we found that this was not the case.  As a winter destination we greatly prefer it.  Hope that we can go there next winter...Early 2022.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iancal said:

It may depend on where you live.  We have done 2  one month trips to Australia as part of our winter travels..   We find that because of our currency  (Canada) Australian travel actually less expensive than the US   In fact, we have bypassed the US for the past three or four years in favor of other destinations.  

We have found car rentals and domestic air to be the same.  Gas and hotel accommodations more expensive.  Restaurant meals the same when you factor in taxes and tips.  At first we thought it more expensive.  When we returned home and calculated what we spent we found that this was not the case.  As a winter destination we prefer it.

Yes, in Australia the price you see is pretty much the price you pay in my experience - tipping really not expected

I really do think that this is down to how you travel.   Prior to covid we were doing 2 months a year in Europe and 2 months in Thailand/Australia.   We do everything from last minute cruises, six stars, no stars, AI's and B&B's.  What we spend can really vary.

Two years ago we spent five nights at the Four Points Sheraton  Central Station in Sydney.  We were on points.  But, if we had to pay about $1100 Aus (or Cad).   That would be about $800 USD.  That is very reasonable for  a large city.  

Edited by iancal