Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

23 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is no way a cruise will be safe in January. There will no be widespread access to vaccines by then. No vaccine no safety 

So obviously we're not safe anywhere till a vaccine is developed.   I hope that you have a healthy bank account and get your groceries and other goods delivered so you can stay bunkered down.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So obviously we're not safe anywhere till a vaccine is developed.   I hope that you have a healthy bank account and get your groceries and other goods delivered so you can stay bunkered down.  

Some of us still work for a living.  Although I miss hanging at the pub having a pint or two I am not risking my life just to have a good time. Hoping for a safe vaccine by summer. We have made it this far it would be foolish to give up now. I don’t want to read about any more co workers or neighbors ending up in the ICU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, memoak said:

Some of us still work for a living.  

Lucky you....have only worked about 21 days over the last 7 months.  Thank goodness for unemployment and the Pandemic extension.

At the same time though, I have to infer that you feel safer going into work each day, wearing a mask and being socially distant than doing the same on a cruise.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Lucky you....have only worked about 21 days over the last 7 months.  Thank goodness for unemployment and the Pandemic extension.

At the same time though, I have to infer that you feel safer going into work each day, wearing a mask and being socially distant than doing the same on a cruise.

Lots of us are working from home -- I have been since March.  Even if I was going in to an office, wearing a mask, and socially distancing as you say -- that is a far cry from being on a cruise ship.  Things will have to change drastically for true social distancing to happen on a cruise ship, as has been discussed here on CC nonstop for the past 8 months.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 1

I'd like to cruise in January as we planned on release day nearly two years ago, but I just don't see it happening.

Perhaps more important, our final payment is due in almost exactly one month, there's no way I'll give Princess thousands of dollars more if we're still as in the dark as we are today.  It took 116 days to get refunded our phase one cancelled cruise, not doing that again.

Ours is a full transit Panama Canal and i fully expect it will be cancelled in the next announcement.  Hoping our July Alaska still has a chance.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Just curious, do you feel perfectly safe to cruise at this time?  Will you truly enjoy it, even with all the restrictions that will be put in place?

1 hour ago, stoneharborlady said:

Just curious, do you feel perfectly safe to cruise at this time?  Will you truly enjoy it, even with all the restrictions that will be put in place?

My current sailing is January out of FLL.  I don't  think it will sail, so I will take the FCC and flip it to April or May.  I will sail then, even with whatever restrictions are in place.  Don't care about Princess only excursions since we'll only get off at Princess Cays.  Reduced capacity will make social distancing easier.  

The safety factor only comes into play if there are Yahoo's that don't follow the rules.  The chance of this happening is increased on Carnival so hopefully a vaccine will be in widespread distribution before our end of August cruise on the Mardi Gras.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I'm trying to stay optimistic (my usual state of mind) but have my doubts about Spring cruises.  Realize I could be wrong here, but Jan./Feb. seem out of the question.

🥃 here as always - hoping mid April 2021 is still happening ? 🍻

• Like 2

SF just became 'yellow' .... 2nd least restrictive because positivity rates are so low!! I don’t know why some areas cannot listen to the science or Dr Fauci. That link is just so sad 😥. They're putting some of those with Covid in tents in Wisconsin  .... it's cold there!! Not our 70° cold ~~~~ COLD 🥶

I won't sail until May to give everything time to settle and gladly booking only ship excursions with the extra goodwill OBC I've gotten from 2 canceled TAs. Princess finally gave me enough to cover everything 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, stoneharborlady said:

So,,, we have gone on vacation 5 times since "reopening" into dense resort areas. Yes, gotta wear that mask. Yes, dining restrictions (early on, eating expensive dinners on the roof of hotels or in their parking garages to be "outside" when inside dining as banned). 

Our most recent vacation required us to quarantine at our resort before being "free to roam". 

We enjoyed every minute. 

Yes, we would truly enjoy being on a ship again. And feel just as safe as being at any other vacation location. We totally understand that based on statistical positivity rates, there are COVID positive people with us on every vacation. Just as they are in the grocery store, and department store. 

• Like 2

I agree that unless you are 100% isolated from the rest of humanity there is a strong possibility that you will come into some contact with a person who is COVID positive in your daily life. We all need to take precautions to protect ourselves, but I am not willing to spend my life in fear and isolation. After all the scrutiny that cruise lines are going through, I believe that once they are allowed to resume operations the ships will be the cleanest places on the planet. The safety protocols and contact tracing will be far more rigorous than those encountered in other daily activities. Yes, there is the possibility that there will be someone who is positive who will slip through undetected, but no more than in other venues and with far better preparedness for action to protect those around them. The cruise lines have spent the last 8 months studying every possible way to keep the ships virus-free. Being aware that cruising will be a less carefree experience when it resumes, I am still willing to make the changes needed to get back on a ship again soon. It is a very personal decision and I hope those of you who feel unsafe will follow your own conscience and delay returning to cruising until you feel it is right for you, whether this requires a vaccine or lengthy passage of time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

After all the scrutiny that cruise lines are going through, I believe that once they are allowed to resume operations the ships will be the cleanest places on the planet.

That's well and good. You should also consider the impact of a disruption in high risk areas. A shutdown may mean no trains or planes.

Look at it from the POV of the cruise company. They go to the trouble and expense of restarting a ship. Do they sail from a low risk area or high risk area?

So, any epidemic that's out of control creates complications for everyone.

Booked for January 2021 on a 4 day to Princess Cay.  I retired from medical lab testing and was exposed to all sorts of bad bugs which may have built up my immunity.  So far, not a sign of c-virus.  Of course, I could get unlucky...

• Like 1

If the bookings we have in January and March are not cancelled, we will be on them. There is even a chance that if the end of December voyages over the holidays are still going, we might change the January and try to get on the December voyage.  We will not succumb to living in a cave. 

• Like 2

We cancelled our February cruise on the Caribbean Princess.  We had booked a window suite (before the pandemic started) at a very good price and thought we would treat ourselves.  We ended up canceling because we didn’t want to risk being stuck in a room with no access to the outside.  
We will avoid international travel until the threat of quarantine is gone.  We don’t want to go through 14 days of self isolation when we return to Canada.

1 hour ago, Grego said:

If the bookings we have in January and March are not cancelled, we will be on them. There is even a chance that if the end of December voyages over the holidays are still going, we might change the January and try to get on the December voyage.  We will not succumb to living in a cave. 

Very brave words.  I guess you don’t have basements where you currently reside?

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Very brave words.  I guess you don’t have basements where you currently reside?

It's not about bravery, it's about what a decision as to how we want to live out lives. And no, there aren't basements in south Florida, but I it looks like you had to guess that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Grego said:

It's not about bravery, it's about what a decision as to how we want to live out lives. And no, there aren't basements in south Florida, but I it looks like you had to guess that.

I don’t anticipate you’ll have much opportunity to put your words into action over the next few months.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grego said:

Better a cave than a grave

5 hours ago, Grego said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic.  The numbers in this country are going up every day.  The epidemiologists expect a long winter with this disease. I find it amazing to see the number here that think ships will be sailing in January.  Anyone on Cruise Critic that can afford to cruise yearly or semi yearly probably lives in a nice home, and we are lucky for that.  These days so many are losing jobs and cannot pay their mortgage and are in danger of losing their homes, but I doubt any here actually will succumb to living in a cave.  On the other hand, perhaps if more people did follow the advice to living carefully for awhile,  this disease would cease to spread so quickly, and we might all have a chance to get rid of it.  You know, like New Zealand did.  In this situation, we are not just responsible for our own lives, but for each others lives too.

Edited by stoneharborlady
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

We will avoid international travel until the threat of quarantine is gone.  We don’t want to go through 14 days of self isolation when we return to Canada.

Actually, the self isolation is not that bad.  We had to do it when we returned from Eclipse Mar 30 and it was surprising how fast the 14 days went.  I continue to be amazed at the speed with which time is passing during this pandemic.  We mostly stay home, only going out for groceries now and again.  We haven't eaten out, including take-out, since April.

Cruise Critic is a godsend and I thank everyone who participates, as that keeps me entertained.  I can shut my eyes and pretend I'm on that lovely back cabin in June enjoying the wake and I hope it becomes a reality.