The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

12 hours ago, Renmar said:

As we all know, the German word for Germany is ‘Deutschland’. Now, for the British everyone who spoke a Germanic language was one and the same. Which resulted in the British calling people from Germany and the Netherlands both Dutch.

Then, as time passed, the Germans became known as …well, Germans. However, like an embarrassing nickname that the fat, ignorant bully gave you back in high school, the name Dutch kinda stuck to the Netherlands to this day. 

Now you know.

Also why the "Pennsylvania Dutch" are called that rather than German which they really were.

I have always liked those old inscriptions and the Rosetta stone was a particular highlight in one of my museum visits in London.

I think your photo shows a cuneiform alphabet, but I have not seen this particular one before. This could be in one of many museums around Europe and the Old World including Arabia.

Is this on a statue depicting a person?

notamermaid

9 hours ago, rcaruso said:

River Seine, City Paris, Museum Louvre, The Code of Hamurabi.

Oh, my, is that what it looks like? Eager to find out if you are right. That thing is so famous, of course I have heard of it. When I was in Paris with my art class we focused on seeing the paintings in the Louvre and Napoleon as the history part of Paris. I did not see any ancient stuff.

notamermaid

• Like 1

rcaruso, you got it! My 10th grade history teacher got me interested in this. We went to the Louvre for the standard highlights, but I broke off from the group so I could seek it out and fangirl over it. It’s the very first set of publicly posted standardized laws. There’s a set of cards there that translates it for you, telling you how much remuneration you get if a slave or wife is maimed or killed and other various laws.  😬

An upside was this part of the Louvre was empty. I had the whole room to myself. 

This one’s for you, Mrs. Rathburn!

9D873F41-9234-4976-A7D8-0DF244EF4F60.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

My 10th grade history teacher got me interested in this.

I too was fortunate to have a high school history teacher and later on a world history professor in college that got me interested in this.

In 1976 DH and I visited the Pergamon Museum in (then) East Berlin and saw a replica which was impressive.  Actually that entire museum is on the best we have ever visited.  We've visited the Louvre a couple of times and I didn't realize that the original was on display there.  Something else to see the next time we are in Paris!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

rcaruso, you got it! My 10th grade history teacher got me interested in this. We went to the Louvre for the standard highlights, but I broke off from the group so I could seek it out and fangirl over it. It’s the very first set of publicly posted standardized laws. There’s a set of cards there that translates it for you, telling you how much remuneration you get if a slave or wife is maimed or killed and other various laws.  😬

An upside was this part of the Louvre was empty. I had the whole room to myself. 

This one’s for you, Mrs. Rathburn!

9D873F41-9234-4976-A7D8-0DF244EF4F60.jpeg

We went with our cousin and wife on the Viking 7 day Paris to Normandy Trip, and our cousin's grandson told them we had to find the Hamurabi code in the Louvre and send picture to him.  Yes, we trekked around the Louvre to find it, so I really can't forget.  In the meantime we saw the Venus de Milo, Winged Victory and of course the Mona Lisa.  Let me see what pictures I have and will post.  Thanks,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Is this a photo of Ruine Karlsburg taken from the Marktplatz in Karlstad am Main?

We have a photo of the Marktplat taken during November 2015 just after the Christmas tree was installed.

DSC03516.JPG

Yes you win. Main river and Karlstadt, Germany.

What were you doing there?  Many tourists dont go there.

You are the winner and next photo please.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

Yes you win. Main river and Karlstadt, Germany.

What were you doing there?  Many tourists dont go there.

You are the winner and next photo please.

We did a late season Prague to Basel with Uniworld.  Last cruise of the 'summer' season before they started the Christmas market cruises.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Is this a photo of Ruine Karlsburg taken from the Marktplatz in Karlstad am Main?

We have a photo of the Marktplat taken during November 2015 just after the Christmas tree was installed.

DSC03516.JPG

I always thought that German Christmas trees look much nicer than any other Christmas treest in Europe.. this one looks like sad really.. 

1 minute ago, Ritabob said:

We did a late season Prague to Basel with Uniworld.  Last cruise of the 'summer' season before they started the Christmas market cruises.  

We have a friend that used to live in the white and red house and had a small house on the Main Gasse.  We stayed there for 6 weeks and now have friends there.  When we take a river cruise we always extend and spend some time there.  We stay at a retaurant/guest house zum Fehmelbauer. Good breakfast reasonable rates and lovely owners.

So this is a little unorthodox - photo not taken on a river cruise but ocean cruise and not on a river. Photo is taken very close to water. Name the location and the name of the sculpture (this is a cropped version of it - it is larger than what is shown). Using notamermaid's requirements somewhat loosely here. 

P1000939.thumb.jpeg.40809dae8e2ba8aeaf6da7b55b99c324.jpeg

Edited by Coral