The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Doesn't look like Belgium to me (only a possibility if we go for the channel = ocean notion) so I would say Portugal. Those buildings look fortified but perhaps they are older and more like castles than bunkers, etc. I think this may be Northern Portugal but that is just a feeling from the landscape.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

Main River (Main/Danube Canal)- Bamberg Cathedral. 

I had no idea where this was located but figured it is a door knocker. Google to the rescue, shows you that you can find almost anything online. Sometimes a bit scary though.

Theo

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

Main River (Main/Danube Canal)- Bamberg Cathedral. 

I had no idea where this was located but figured it is a door knocker. Google to the rescue, shows you that you can find almost anything online. Sometimes a bit scary though.

Theo

I will give this to you, I think these doors were actually at the residence (part of the Cathedral area )as we walked through a hallway/passageway to visit the rose garden and see the view.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Ijandbg and all try the Atlantic Ocean. 
Jazz it’s still the English Channel on our side but to the French it’s La Manche regardless it’s still one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and as the French say viv la diffarance. CA

I find the difference in terms for the channel that connects two big bodies of water and separates the continent from Britain interesting. Not sure if it tells you something about how people and their respective languages view it but there is a distinct difference between some languages. Every time I arrive at a certain French motorway exit I am kind of reminded that the "Tunnel sous la Manche" sign directs me to a Tunnel under the Sleeve. In German we look at the same geographical feature and call it the Sleeve Channel (which in modern times has said Tunnel). The island claims it to be English and the Spanish call it la Mancha, inspired by the French word perhaps, the correct Spanish word for a sleeve is una manga. Either the British seafarers did not notice that is an arm of the ocean only and should be seen as such or decided it is their arm...

Well, us Germans once had our own ocean according to British maps but, alas, it has been taken away from us and is now called the North Sea. Which you could call politically easier to handle.

@Renmar that was a quick answer. I have heard of the photo finding feature but never used it so far. Really a bit scary what you can find with a few clicks. I guess many people must like this particular door knocker so that it comes up through photos. I hope this feature still has a problem with finding the door knockers of a typical English residential area, otherwise we are in deep trouble! The big brother is getting ever bigger...

Ready for a photo after breakfast?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification

3 hours ago, vada_9 said:

I will give this to you, I think these doors were actually at the residence (part of the Cathedral area )as we walked through a hallway/passageway to visit the rose garden and see the view.

These doors lead to the Residenz, not the cathedral. I recognized them from our visit there, but someone who was awake much earlier than I got the answer first. 

DSC06876.thumb.JPG.370640d57fdd277e6d740b6a9396ef45.JPG

And that Rose Garden has a cafe, where you can enjoy a drink.

20150906_120452.thumb.jpg.23b2d30ebc930a20a725d8f5bd847322.jpg

Unfortunately I have no idea where the next picture is from. That will teach me to not sleep in!

• Like 1

I give it a "wide angle European history/attempt at using art history  class" shot. This gate is old I think and I put it in early Baroque. The Order of the Garter is British as canal archive said, but any notable person in the world if the reigning monarch so deems fit can get into it (loosely interpreted by me). At the time the gate was set up there were monarchs who were connected by relation or marriage to several countries at the highest level (I know, for many centuries before and after), so although this looks very French swirly, I have this idea that it may have something to do with William of Orange in the Netherlands. So, some palace gate, possibly a garden entrance as there is a body of water in the background?

notamermaid

The brooch of the Order of the Garter has the starburst as the backdrop and the George Cross, just like on this gate. I find it a bit puzzling. I do no think it is an actual foreign coat of arms on this gate. That is why I think it is directly connected to a sovereign and is not a ducal family crest.

Like the idea of Versailles, sun king and all, but still think is Netherlands.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

These doors lead to the Residenz, not the cathedral. I recognized them from our visit there, but someone who was awake much earlier than I got the answer first. 

Not earlier, I had an insomnia session, stayed awake until 3 AM so I checked out the possibilities.

Theo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Hampton Court Palace near London.  I guess the closest river is the Thames.  Do they have cruises on the Thames?

Here is the tricky bit. I do not know. I checked and checked and checked and then concluded that for the rules I mention the lochs of Scotland as they have overnight cruises, it is the Caledonian Canal. The Thames has overnight barges that are arguable cruises. It is a border line thing really. And I ruled out the barges of France as they are on canals. The Thames on the other hand is a mighty river by British standards (not by mine if I may be a little direct). I was hoping I would not have to come to this point, but here it has arrived!

If you are right with your guess ((slight cough as a hint)) then certainly you win the right to the next photo.

For the future: Do we include the Thames? I am not sure. Check and send votes please!

The river needs at least three yes-es to enter the quiz!

Thank you.

notamermaid

37 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Hampton Court Palace near London.  I guess the closest river is the Thames.  Do they have cruises on the Thames?

Yes you are correct. This picture was taken by myself from inside the courtyard of Hampton Court Palace. These gates are only used when Royalty guests arrive(d) by way of the Thames river (so we have been told during our tour).

Your turn

@notamermaidI posted this picture because I thought it was within the loosely enforced 😉rules as posted in the first post.

You can post any photo of a place on a river or cnanal navigable by river cruise ships anywhere in the world. I would include in that the few inland bodies of water that are suitable.

Theo

• Like 1