The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I would say Lindt Chocolate Factory, Cologne, Rhine River.

However it's a wild guess.

I think you’re right - looks like the chocolate museum. I remember seeing the same camel there.

Edited by dogs4fun

30 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I would say Lindt Chocolate Factory, Cologne, Rhine River.

Correct.  Great place to visit and a worthwhile DIY excursion.

25 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I think you’re right - looks like the chocolate museum. I remember seeing the same camel there.

We were there in 2016.  Hopefully your visit was around the same time.  Otherwise that camel is getting pretty stale  :-)

It's your turn Daisi

Edited by Mitina

1 hour ago, Mitina said:

We were there in 2016.  Hopefully your visit was around the same time.  Otherwise that camel is getting pretty stale  🙂

Actually, they had them displayed in a glass case - one camel/rider in white chocolate & one in brown. I don't believe that the display items were for sale and I suspect that they were rather stale (they may still be there for all I know). There were other items in the glass case as well but I specifically remember the camel as I found it an odd choice for the area.

Have you visited Fassbender & Rausch in Berlin? They have displays of Berlin's famous landmarks in chocolate - unbelievable works of art! I couldn't believe the size of their Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (and such attention to detail).

That was the one "disappointment" of our cruise.  I had heard so much about the Lindt factory, we made sure to go.  I was expecting to find something new and different, as I had grown up on Lindt chocolate.  My Oma used to send over castles, ships and other large items for Christmas every year as she worked for one of the "big wigs" in Kilchberg.  There wasn't anything there that we couldn't buy here, and when you added in the exchange rate, it was actually more expensive!

I never knew that Americans didn't get Lindt, they got Ghirardelli...which is made by Lindt!

Going to do a bit of a "Schmoo" now... I know the town & river, curious if anyone knows about the story as I can't remember.

Name the River, Town and (hopefully) place.  First to guess, gets to post the next pic.  Good luck!

DSC02501.JPG

34 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Nice photo. Both the ruins of the old church with the new church off to the side - amazing, huh?

We've been to that site (real, non-chocolate site, that is)! That replica is impressive. 

I don't know where the next picture is from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daisi said:

I never knew that Americans didn't get Lindt, they got Ghirardelli...which is made by Lindt!

I love Ghirardelli chocolates & I enjoy visiting the Original Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco - it is quite a historic landmark.  Lindt (founded in 1845) acquired Ghirardelli (founded in 1852 - 3rd oldest chocolate company in the US) as a wholly owned subsidiary in 1998 but AFAIK, Ghirardelli still maintains control of its manufacturing process in the USA. Lindt & Sprüngli does have a factory in New Hampshire (not associated with Ghirardelli).

Fun factoid: Lindt  & Sprüngli also owns Russel Stover Candies & operates 4 factories in the USA.

Probably too much info but I am a chocaholic! 

Ghirardelli.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 4

I have no idea, I am afraid. The only things I can say are that it looks like a female crocodile reminiscent of Niki de Saint Phalle, standing on a nondescript flat roof. And: either there is a roof garden or the cleaner needs to come round before the roof grows a forest.

notamermaid

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Ok... it's from Koblenz.  I can't remember if I just saw it and took the pic, or if there was a story behind it...was hoping someone else would have seen it.  

Calling a wild card - @Shmoo here, if you want maybe you will have better luck.

Please don't wait for me.  Unfortunately, except for a few photos on our China trip, all my other photos are on a different computer.  It'll take me a little time to get them on this one.

Ok, here is a relatively easy one with (hopefully) several identifiable elements.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

1506342013_Untitled-Copy.thumb.jpg.f3d94af45e18e0bb21759cae0e46704a.jpg

10 hours ago, Daisi said:

We had a Lindt store near me at an outlet mall. I think it is now closed. One part of the store was the common flavors and the other side was European flavors that I had not seen at any typical store in the US.

I have a friend who lived in San Francisco area and would always send me See's Candy as it is "Calforinian". I had to laugh as See's is owned by a Nebraska company (Berkshire Hathaway) and we have our own store here within a large Furniture store. During the Berkshire Hathaway Convention -they sell a ton of See's Candy.

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I love Ghirardelli chocolates & I enjoy visiting the Original Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco - it is quite a historic landmark.  Lindt (founded in 1845) acquired Ghirardelli (founded in 1852 - 3rd oldest chocolate company in the US) as a wholly owned subsidiary in 1998 but AFAIK, Ghirardelli still maintains control of its manufacturing process in the USA. Lindt & Sprüngli does have a factory in New Hampshire (not associated with Ghirardelli).

Fun factoid: Lindt  & Sprüngli also owns Russel Stover Candies & operates 4 factories in the USA.

Probably too much info but I am a chocaholic! 

We used to have a Russel Stover factory in Lincoln NE from 1942-1980. I think the building is still around. I remember as a young kid walking by the building. They were huge here. I think at one time, they had 1200 employees here. I remember seeing the candy boxes in stores and thinking they were a local company.

I remember the first time I went to Ghirardelli in SFO, I wanted to buy some candy. My friends wouldn't let me spend the $$$ - they immediately took me a few blocks away to CostPlus World Market so I could buy some of it there cheaper.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1