The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Oops, sorry. I should really enlarge my smartphone screen. A nutria - those creatures have also been sighted along the Middle Rhine valley. A Bisam, what you call a muskrat I think is similar in appearance, but I think this is a nutria (Coypu). Whichever it is, this would point to the Americas.

But why not in the river? Still think it may be a lake or pond in a zoo.

notamermaid 

• Like 1

When there has been a drought we have had otters on the canal but this is not an otter.

The river tour from the Rhône into the Camargue to the Parc Ornithologique du Pont de Gau this little guy is as you correctly said Notamermaid a Coypu a member of the Nutra or rat family as you said rcaruso. As far as I know we don’t get these in the U.K.

A super day but incredibly hot we got to see the white horses and the black bulls. 
I am a great Manila’s de Plata fan (showing my age) and we had on board in the evening a group of local musicians bit like the Gypsy Kings, some of the most wonderful guitar music I’d heard for some time. CA

Edited by Canal archive

@Canal archive A cute creature. And we had not guessed where he is swimming. The Rhone - I very much enjoyed the area on a land trip, but did not have enough time to have a drive into the Camargue. Would like to see the horses.

As you have given us the answer you of course get to go again. Or hand out a wild card if you like.

Ready for another photo - or perhaps tomorrow (evening in the UK now)?

notamermaid

Sorry all slight iPad hiccup he/she is swimming in the parc it’s certainly worth a visit if your in the area not a zoo at all I have loads of pictures but here is another for you to ponder on it’s in a beautiful town, my DH would move there given half a chance. 

River and location please.

image.thumb.jpeg.b419aa4787cf1882f0c6fea2ca42d3e2.jpeg

I would say the "Patisserie Bicyclette" near Quebec, but that would be a bit far fetched. The platanus tree could be anywhere from Königswinter on the Rhine to London's residential streets, but I suspect this is in France.

I could look up that shop, but I will keep it difficult.

Hmm, Vernon on the Seine?

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I could look up that shop, but I will keep it difficult.

It didn't help me when I tried. La Pétrisane seems to be a common name. The root of the word is pétrisser (to knead) so it's an appropriate name for a place where bread is made.

I thought the red bicycle would place this in the south of France, along the Rhône. It seems provençal. I wanted this to be in Lyon but I couldn't find the pâtisserie there.

Edited by jpalbny

Thank you. That is a lovely avenue. I probably drove through the town on the way to Avignon and Arles. So much to see in that area. My trip was too short and I would like to go back.

Right, change of scene, something a bit industrial. This is actually an excursion on a river cruise, but very few if any of you will have taken it:

DSCN1684.thumb.JPG.09bcc364129cf17c747335e5bd72d0a5.JPG

Please guess the river and the place (village), if not place please the name of the line.

notamermaid

49 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Bingo well done Notamermaid it’s in the Ardeche I expect more would have recognised this. So your next. CA

image.thumb.jpeg.d2f9d9dff90fe73d640735f1609eb8c0.jpeg

Oh wow, Viviers! Wouldn't have guessed that. The photo looks far too modern to be Vivers! And you are right - I actually posted a picture of this very street, but at night, and it was recognized quickly.

Edited by jpalbny

Oh, yes, I remember now, the street at night. I admit, Google maps was my friend with this one, I looked for towns and boulangeries North of Avignon and after some time going up and down the map, a photo of the shop front appeared.

Got a bit pekish over it, particularly fancied the macaroons that kept popping up in photos on the left on my screen...

notamermaid

• Haha 1