The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

It is a restaurant in Lucerne. Took me a few minutes to find it in my photos. Restaurant Fritschi, Rhine river extension.

Lucerne has a lot of buildings like this. I took lots of pictures! 

Edited by jpalbny

When I lived in London and in Sandhurst I regularly took myself off the the gallery to sit and just look at the Leonardo cartoon so good for the soul. Turner is truly a master. The exquisite detail of the portrait painters. I gave up art to become a technical illustrator and I don’t paint or draw much but create with craft of all kinds. CA

39 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Right!  That was really fast!  You're up

I tend to remember unusual things in places that we have visited. And I organize my pictures carefully so that tends to reinforce my memory. I remembered a few squares in Lucerne with painted houses, as soon as I saw your picture, but needed a minute to consult my photo library! 

And you've got to be fast in this game if you want to keep up with @dogs4fun!

OK, this is a pre-cruise extension which is quite popular, though it's not the premier sight here. I liked the juxtaposition of ancient and modern in this picture. 

1362857509_CCPic25.thumb.JPG.c6e0b87ecc556a413717316186058347.JPG

Site, and country or city should suffice. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I liked the juxtaposition of ancient and modern in this picture. 

These sites fascinate me as I love visiting ancient Roman & Greek ruins & this plaza/forum ticks both boxes. I was fortunate to visit during a 3 week visit to this general area - those pesky Romans were everywhere!

• Like 1

That is exactly the problem, they were everywhere - and that is why I have no idea where this is. Nice crescents and avenue of columns. Must have looked stunning in its heyday.

I know though that it is not East of Teutoburg forest - Varus' epic fail. They gave up the Elbe and further Northeast after that.

Is that in the South of France perhaps?

notamermaid

12 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Jerash, Jordan, pre-cruise for Nile cruise.

That's it!

I was trying to give a clue by saying that it's not the first place(s) you'd visit here. That would obviously be Petra and Wadi Rum.

You're up. 

Edited by jpalbny

23 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

That's it!

I was trying to give a clue by saying that it's not the first place(s) you'd visit here. That would obviously be Petra and Wadi Rum.

You're up. 

I have been to both Petra and Wadi Rum, but not Jerash. I did it as an overnight from Eilat, when I spent 6 weeks in Israel when I was between jobs.

I have no pictures, so declare a wild card.

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic. Probably an excursion from Passau, Danube river.

I have to admit 🥺that I have found the location of a lot of the pictures posted here, this one included, very easy on Google by downloading the posted picture and search for matching ones on Google images.

For that reason I will not take the credit and leave the posting of the next picture up to somebody else who has maybe a picture that is more difficult to recognize.

Theo

Edited by Renmar

Yes, PLEASE WAIT for acwmom to respond. In the meantime we can consult or "idea brains", probably beating "Google images brother big" as to where that beaver is swimming. Guesses posting after acwmom's response.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification

Scenic it is! So picture perfect first I thought it was a model railway exhibit. You know, how they build these brilliant models based on real life scenes but the dirt and the ugly overhead power cables are missing.

Would like to see that place some time.

Right, @Canal archive  I would really like to continue with the beaver, too. I suggest a zoo along a river in the US. Just to give an idea for others.

notamermaid

• Like 1