The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

19 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Ah, Pressburg. 🙂 I thought the carving was too old to refer to Brexit but that was all I could think of.

Pressburg, yes, the German name. Less and less used. There is a plaque in Bratislava refering to a famous treaty which still has Pressburg in its title. I took a photo of that. I have just realized that the photos I took in the town are a weird mix: cats in the sunshine, a fast food sign, several plaques, a banner with TESCO (British supermarket) advertising on it, shuttered huts of a market, blocked Medieval archway, a two level car park entrance sign, etc. A bit weird - me, not the city. I think I have always done that, capturing unusual stuff on camera. I did take photos of a  beautiful fountain and several important buildings in Bratislava as well, though.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Pressburg, yes, the German name. Less and less used. There is a plaque in Bratislava refering to a famous treaty which still has Pressburg in its title. I took a photo of that. I have just realized that the photos I took in the town are a weird mix: cats in the sunshine, a fast food sign, several plaques, a banner with TESCO (British supermarket) advertising on it, shuttered huts of a market, blocked Medieval archway, a two level car park entrance sign, etc. A bit weird - me, not the city. I think I have always done that, capturing unusual stuff on camera. I did take photos of a  beautiful fountain and several important buildings in Bratislava as well, though.

notamermaid

I was just reading the blog of a Cruise Director reminiscing about treating some of the crew to lunch in the Caribbean.  He asked where they would like to go:  KFC!  Which makes sense, because the ship may have good food but it doesn't have fast food.  You crave what you don't have!  Like right now, I crave cruising!!!

While I would not want to go to KFC, I understand the idea well. After a week of splendid food on my river cruise, I was looking forward to a frozen pizza heated up in my oven at home.

Must really do that ferry crossing so I can at least be on water for a few minutes, excursion boats not going to run for several weeks probably.

notamermaid

Hmm, I will give it a try to get a bit closer. The architecture to me says Classicism, perhaps early. There is a figure that holds a focal point, perhaps just part of an upper story, there is a balustrade that indicates this is a first floor balcony. Accentuated window with a garland stucco ornament. It appears a bit French but not enough. The black against the white looks a bit too harsh for French or Austrian. Not necessarily nobility but well-to-do family, perhaps merchants. As you say it is not on a river I assume it is on a canal. I would put this in the realm of Belgium and the Netherlands. 

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

As you say it is not on a river I assume it is on a canal. I would put this in the realm of Belgium and the Netherlands.

If it's Amsterdam and something of interest inside most of them, could it be the Red Light District?

1 hour ago, Mitina said:

If it's Amsterdam and something of interest inside most of them, could it be the Red Light District?

I think the "statues" in the Amsterdam Red Light District look a bit different 😉😁😇. However it is an interesting thought and who knows.

As a 17/18 year old we, my friends and I, spend a lot of our weekend time in Amsterdam and naturally had to see, not visit, the ladies of the night at the "Wallen" as it was known. During my working years in construction I again spend some time in the area but can not remember seeing any of those statues as shown in the picture (we were probably looking at different things).

Theo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mitina said:

Congrats Minta.  Yes it's Amsterdam, however not the Red Light District, just the decoration on one of the homes along the canal.  The "interesting" thing inside is the stairs.  Not the easiest things to climb up.  

Here is the whole house.

@Mitina, you're turn.

IMG_1885.JPG

I wanted to see the neighborhood, so I searched for it on Google Earth.  I'm pretty sure the address is on Sint Jansstraat about one block away from De Wallen.  Of course, this house doesn't fit with that neighborhood.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

IMG_9638.JPG

41 minutes ago, Mitina said:

I wanted to see the neighborhood, so I searched for it on Google Earth.  I'm pretty sure the address is on Sint Jansstraat about one block away from De Wallen.  Of course, this house doesn't fit with that neighborhood.

Close.  the address would be 131 Oudezijds Voorburgwal.  We just loved the style.

59 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

IMG_9638.JPG

47 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Budapest Parliament, Red Star placed on the building by the Soviets, removed in 1990 and on display in the building

Correct.  An exhibit in the Parliament Museum & Visitor Center.  Your turn.

The icon has both Arabic script, and a second script that looks somewhat Greek. The script on the left looks like "Anton" as in St. Anthony?. Too many letters on the one on the right for me to confidently translate. There is a raven as well as two lions so that should be St. Paul, and maybe the letters in the middle spell Paul, but there are extra letters there too. So, not sure.

Arabic plus Greek suggests that this in the Middle East somewhere. Assuming that it's a river cruise location, that could suggest The Nile, something Coptic? It doesn't look like the iconography we've seen anywhere else.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Thanks 1

Monasteries of St. Anthony and St. Paul, Egypt, Nile River. The excursion could be done from Cairo but that would take about 3 hours each way. Probably could be done from a cruise port closer to it.

If I am right I'll make it a wild card again.

Theo

• Like 1

JPalbany read the clues very well (I’m not surprised.). Renmar is correct, though I saw it at the Coptic Museum in Cairo, where the description said it had been removed from the monastery.

so it’s a wild card.

• Thanks 1

There is a street sign to the right of the figures. The first letter is mostly hidden but I think it is a capital P. This means the word is Prälat and is most likely followed by the name of this particular high-ranking member of the church in a German-speaking country.

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There is a Prälat-Meixner-Strasse in Ebensfeld, Germany (on the Main River) – but I don't see anything near it that would have such a sign.

Ebensfeld appears to be the place where Prälat Georg Meixner was born, I think you have the right person. I assume the street is somewhere where he spend much of his live during his professional years. Ebensfeld is in Bavaria, another town in Bavaria?

notamermaid