The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

OK, since nobody else has jumped in yet, and it's my birthday tomorrow, I'll go ahead and name the site.

This is the "Queen's Hamlet" or L'hameau de la Reine in the gardens at Versailles. It's a cute little place to stroll through and we enjoyed it. But you'll never see it if you're on a standard tour I suspect, because there isn't time to see the palace and the gardens and all of the fountains, and the Trianons, and then come here too.

But it's a fun place. They grow grapes for wine, so it's my kind of hamlet!

DSC_0221.thumb.JPG.93a3c309958de17d53a4a52cd81d3caf.JPG

And, here's the building in Robin's picture of the reflection. It was a bit windy when we were there I guess, so no nice reflections for us. It's supposed to be a mill.

IMG_6797.thumb.JPG.fe4a47ac10c3d905eab6bc98c3d59664.JPG

We did Versailles separately from Paris, before a 2012 cruise. Flew to CDG, took the RER directly to Versailles, and stayed right there (a nice Ritz-Carlton near the park gate). We had pretty much two full days to explore the grounds and we went all over. Very nice way to start a vacation (what is a vacation again?)!

Now that’s the way to see Versailles!  These photos are REALLY making me want to travel.

Joyeux Anniversaire!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dogs4fun, you have it exactly correct! Indeed, she is on the roof of Burg Grünwald, overlooking the Isar and its canal! Next stop, a Danube cruise most commonly, but not this time for us.

Chris finds all sorts of out-of-the-way places to visit in familiar cities. We like avoiding the beaten path. Was hoping this one would be a challenge but I guess you've been here? Or did you figure it out from my use of the words "green" and "woods" above?

We had a brief second visit to Munich in May 2014, just for an overnight before heading to Ingolstadt to pick up her new Audi at the forum. So we only had a few hours. After freshening up at our hotel, we hopped a tram and headed out to Grünwald to storm the castle and see the views. 

As proof, here are both of us. I look like I just got off a red-eye flight. She sure doesn't...

177337468_Germany2014_05-011.thumb.jpg.006e50ccc63ef3394c3960329fb25d4b.jpg

This picture looks away from the city. I think it's some kind of electric plant in the distance. Seen better in this close-up.

1828188537_Germany2014_05-010.thumb.jpg.071be54f9bcb1bfd27f077a35e04d747.jpg

I don't remember much else about the Schloss but the view from its roof was very pretty. It's not very tall, so we could climb it after a long flight rather easily. Here is an overview; the tower is far right.

DSCN0915.thumb.JPG.cc61d98845ce38a3853d7e8ac052358e.JPG

It was a very quiet place to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet after a long day and night of travel. We didn't see many other tourists.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Now that’s the way to see Versailles!  These photos are REALLY making me want to travel.

Joyeux Anniversaire!

Thanks!

The Versailles trip worked very well. Far too much to see there in just a few hours, so we skipped it entirely on our first Paris trip. We actually did this 2012 visit before an ocean cruise - starting in Athens! And we didn't visit Paris at all that time.

So why go to France first? Well, the logistics were super easy though, so why not? We just flew into CDG for Versailles. When it was time for the cruise we went back to CDG and took a direct flight to Athens on Air France, took the express bus to Piraeus, and hopped on our favorite Silver Cloud.

I am afraid that once travel reopens, I will have forgotten how to plan trips. This is brutal.

As usual, great photos @jpalbny. Wow - Chris went all the way to Audi's hometown to pick up her car? She shipped it home? She must be a dedicated "Audiphile". 🤣

Grün(e)wald = green + wood so, although we had actually visited Grünwald, your clue did, indeed, send me in the direction of the castle. We spent seven days in Munich on a previous visit & as we had already seen most items on our bucket list of "must see" sights, my brother (the nature lover) wanted to visit some areas less frequented by tourist hordes & enjoy some natural beauty (he tires of the churches, castles and museums that I love to frequent). He enjoyed the area and scored some nice photos. Also had a nice lunch at a restaurant whose name I cannot recall. I do love Bavaria - such natural beauty with loads of history!

About all I remember from our Grünwald visit was the castle and the castle museum. I think that there must be a good deal of wealth in the area judging from the beautiful homes & abundant Bentleys & Ferraris that we saw. 🙂 

If it is my turn, it will be a wild card.

France - Gironde Estuary - La Citadelle de Blaye just outside Bordeaux. The region is also known for its wine. I know it did not take long for me to recognize the place, we have been there when we did our month long tour through France. We most of the time try to avoid the big cities and happen to get lost trying to stay out of Bordeaux.

Theo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

As usual, great photos @jpalbny. Wow - Chris went all the way to Audi's hometown to pick up her car? She shipped it home? She must be a dedicated "Audiphile". 🤣

I have friends who tried to buy a Volvo locally - it was more expensive locally. It was cheaper to order a new one through the same dealer, they included 2 Business class flights over to Sweden and they drove around Sweden and Denmark for a week and then flew home, waited 2 months and their Volvo arrived. They loved the experience and the tour of the Volvo plant.

My guess is Audi is the same. Another friend looked at buying a Porsche when they were spending a semester there and then having it shipped home. They didn't and I am not sure why.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have friends who tried to buy a Volvo locally - it was more expensive locally. It was cheaper to order a new one through the same dealer, they included 2 Business class flights over to Sweden and they drove around Sweden and Denmark for a week and then flew home, waited 2 months and their Volvo arrived. They loved the experience and the tour of the Volvo plant.

My guess is Audi is the same. Another friend looked at buying a Porsche when they were spending a semester there and then having it shipped home. They didn't and I am not sure why.

Really? I had no idea - had never heard of anyone doing this & assumed Chris had ordered some sort of special Audi. Hard to believe that purchasing an auto in Sweden or Germany would be less expensive considering shipping and airfare. Nice way to score a trip to Europe. 😎

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Really? I had no idea - had never heard of anyone doing this & assumed Chris had ordered some sort of special Audi. Hard to believe that purchasing an auto in Sweden or Germany would be less expensive considering shipping and airfare. Nice way to score a trip to Europe. 😎

Yep! It is a thing

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15338837/buy-a-car-get-a-trip-how-european-delivery-works/ 

• Like 1

It's an awesome experience. I bought mine the same way, the year after we got Chris's car.

One of the best parts is finding an open stretch of Autobahn and seeing the no speed-limit sign. Those cars can fly! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Something well worth looking at. I remember some 40 ys ago, my parents living in Germany bought a new Volvo and found out it was way cheaper then to order the car in the US and do the self-pickup at the factory in Gothenburg. Required some side-orders like a km-tachometer instead of mileage and it was some fun re-entering Germany ("anything to declare? - yes, the whole car"), as they were not prepared for this, and wouldnt have noticed themselves. But even allowing for import-duty the price difference paid a one week family holiday and there was still something left. And a car dealer in Providence RI (whom we never met, a friend did the paperwork there) sent christmas cards for many years.

It used to be a fad in the U.K. evidently no VAT. My husbands cousin invented a gadget with a mate that is used in every commercial airline in the world, so he had a few pennies to say the least. He had a contract with Rolls Royce to have a new car delivered annually, this was when the waiting list was years rather than months, he never knew what colour it would be. We happened to be there one year when the car was delivered, he tossed the keys to me husband and said ‘There you go give it a test drive’ the only time DH has driven one.

Okay I knew it was easy, my next one if I get one will be completely off the wall! (The citadel is very interesting we had a fantastic guide) 

Renmar your go. CA

Well, guess I am the idiot - had no idea one could purchase European cars at European factories for less than you could in the USA. But you must use an auto dealer in the USA?

I wonder if that is also true for Mercedes and Italian sports cars like Ferrari? Will have to snoop online. 

Edited by dogs4fun

19 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Well, guess I am the idiot - had no idea one could purchase European cars at European factories for less than you could in the USA. But you must use an auto dealer in the USA?

I wonder if that is also true for Mercedes and Italian sports cars like Ferrari? Will have to snoop online. 

The article I posted mentioned Mercedes.

18 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

It is called Mercedes European Delivery Program USA and you can find an official Mercedes video on YouTube.

notamermaid

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I consider this a boost to my confidence - I knew something you didn't know on this board. A rarity 🙂 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It is called Mercedes European Delivery Program USA and you can find an official Mercedes video on YouTube.

notamermaid

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

I consider this a boost to my confidence - I knew something you didn't know on this board. A rarity 🙂 

You are a hoot! 🙂I can assure you - there is much that I don't know & I am quite confident that there are many areas in which you could put me to shame. 

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

The article I posted mentioned Mercedes.

Indeed it does - just reread the article. A 7% discount, no delivery fee + other perks - rather appealing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Okay I knew it was easy, my next one if I get one will be completely off the wall! (The citadel is very interesting we had a fantastic guide) 

Renmar your go. CA

OK have an other go at it CA. I'm calling a wildcard.

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

my next one if I get one will be completely off the wall!

I was hoping for @Canal archive to post the next one so we can see the "completely off the wall" picture. Oh well, have to wait a little longer.

The picture above is indeed an easy one probably taken in late mid to late fall. The mountain we can see across from our house looks about the same in the fall (without the schloss of course) after the first snow dusting.

Theo