The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 minute ago, Renmar said:

I was hoping for @Canal archive to post the next one so we can see the "completely off the wall" picture. Oh well, have to wait a little longer.

The picture above is indeed an easy one probably taken in late mid to late fall. The mountain we can see across from our house looks about the same in the fall (without the schloss of course) after the first snow dusting.

Theo 

Sorry - this will quickly be identified.

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

The mountain we can see across from our house looks about the same in the fall (without the schloss of course) after the first snow dusting.

Would this be the Rocky Mountains? I have an unobstructed view of the Rockies from my back deck. They look gorgeous on a clear day after a snowfall.

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

Would this be the Rocky Mountains? I have an unobstructed view of the Rockies from my back deck. They look gorgeous on a clear day after a snowfall.

That quote should have been attributed to Renmar and not me.....Not sure how it was messed up.

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Sorry? I love seeing beautiful photos of places I have visited that are easily identifiable. Yours is lovely - I assume you were on a Xmas Market cruise? 😃

This is my favorite picture of that trip. It was Nov 20 - 30th. We hit the markets in most places but we were always a day behind in Germany.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, Ritabob said:

When posting a new photo, please don't  add it will be easy to identify.   When I have no idea it makes me feel less than  brilliant and worldly.  😊😉

Sorry - if it helps, I had to look up the name. I know exactly where it is though.

You are very worldly 🙂

Edited by Coral

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I would assume I have passed this building on my Danube cruise. But not sure where it is along the river. Really like the atmosphere in this photo.

notamermaid

Yes - you have the river correct.

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

They are actually the coast mountains. The mountain we look at from our front window is called "Mount Cheam". I posted a picture a while back.

Theo

5 minutes ago, Renmar said:

They are actually the coast mountains. The mountain we look at from our front window is called "Mount Cheam". I posted a picture a while back.

Theo

I just wanted to tell you how much I love British Columbia. I know everyone loves Vancouver (and I do also) but I love the time we drove to Whistler and stopped along the way. You have such beautiful mountains, flowers and waterfalls where you live. I also love Victoria. If I got to choose anywhere in North America to live, it would be British Columbia.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I would assume I have passed this building on my Danube cruise. But not sure where it is along the river. Really like the atmosphere in this photo.

notamermaid

It's in the Wachau between Dürnstein and Melk. Schloss Schoenbuehel I think? At least that is what I wrote on my picture...

366093046_Danube2016_04-291.thumb.jpg.cced01c86f6520f3ddb3e2cfeb7ec0cb.jpg

Your picture is nicer. It was raining and ugly out for our Wachau Valley cruise. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's in the Wachau between Dürnstein and Melk. Schloss Schoenbuehel I think? At least that is what I wrote on my picture...

366093046_Danube2016_04-291.thumb.jpg.cced01c86f6520f3ddb3e2cfeb7ec0cb.jpg

Your picture is nicer. It was raining and ugly out for our Wachau Valley cruise. 

Yes! Schloss Schönbühel . It is about 3 miles from Melk in Wachau Valley! We sailed by it on our way to Krems that day. We hit the Wachau Valley 2x on our cruise and one day was ugly and one day was "frosted". 

Edited by Coral

So a word about Audi European delivery. We've done it twice and we are eagerly waiting to see if it comes back. 2020 was obviously a loss and word is it's suspended for '21 and may come back for '22.

It's really not as surprising as it seems, that it saves you money. When you go to your dealer, they build the car at their factory in Ingolstadt or Neckarsulm, put it on a train and deliver it to a port, ship it to the US, pay import taxes on the sticker price, bring it to the dealership, and deliver it to you.

When you do European delivery, you pay the dealer, go to Europe, and collect the car from the factory. You then drive it around for a week or two, drop it off at a shipper, and fly home. The shipper brings it to Bremerhaven, and it comes to the US where they pay a lower import tax because it's now a USED car. All the same steps that Audi would do anyway - but it costs them less to import the car.

That savings allows Audi to give you 5% off sticker, and they pay for a hotel room (1 night), and also for your temporary Europe tags and insurance. They also do a factory tour which is really nice. It's all included.

The caveat is that you must get the car out of Europe within 30 days from picking it up, otherwise you owe about 20% VAT on the purchase price. In the old days (2014 and earlier), Audi made you put that money into escrow and they refunded it when the car arrived in the US. From 2015, they trusted you to not overstay your welcome, so I didn't have to do the escrow, but Chris did.

I really hope that the program comes back for 2022. I need a new RS5 to match Chris's! And I want to drive it the way it was meant to be driven. One of my favorite parts of my last European delivery was taking my car through the three passes in Switzerland. What a drive!

Here's 2 of 3: first Furkapass and then Grimselpass.

879725138_Germany2015_09-126(1).thumb.jpg.73a26ce1ff555ecbc3bfdf2edc687ede.jpg

252875964_Germany2015_09-124(1).thumb.jpg.2ea69fdbb63822781ce8214beda5916e.jpg

And Chris with her Audi at Lake Lauerz, Switzerland. 

965031469_Germany2014_05-133.thumb.jpg.8ebd2827fc54d31a9f6e124dac49aa24.jpg

Still a wildcard.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

The shipper brings it to Bremerhaven, and it comes to the US where they pay a lower import tax because it's now a USED car. All the same steps that Audi would do anyway - but it costs them less to import the car.

Had not considered the used aspect - still seems very strange to me. I've always loved sports cars - still love the Corvette & loved the Viper but it is no longer made. My dream car was always the Lamborghini (definitely dreaming). 

I still have my last vette parked in the garage but no longer drive it. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to consider another sports car. I would, however, consider a nice, reliable Mercedes.

Don't know much about the Audi - it looks like a beautiful machine. Hope you are again able to purchase in Europe & drive around before shipping home. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Thanks 1

My brother in law worked for Ford for many years did his apprenticeship then retired after a few years he had a slight stroke. This made him decide that life was worth living and he bought his dream car a Mustang. Bit of a family discussion as to soft top or hard but eventually resolved to Red and hard top (his wife wanted yellow and soft top). When they go on holiday usually somewhere in Europe the car causes quite a talking point, especially with the ladies. Before he restored and drove Scimitars.CA