The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

7 minutes ago, Renmar said:

How close can you get to Salamanca on the Douro river, is it doable on a day trip?

Theo

Many (most?) r/t Douro cruises include a day trip to/from Salamanca when the ship is as its furthest point from Porto.  And one-way Douro cruises use it as a stop on the bus trip to or from Madrid.

I think the clue is free (frei) ... "We were passing through here on our way from point A to point B though you are free to visit here from a river cruise as well "? 

I think this is a photo of the kaufhaus (merchant's hall) located on Freiburg's Munsterplatz. So, Freiburg im Breisgau, Rhine?

Very cool photo!

Edited by dogs4fun

A splendid building and I have been to Freiburg, so that is why it looked familiar. The Ecovin flag is there in the photo, as apparently the organic vintners have an annual wine presentation in the Kaufhaus. 

Freiburg is a very interesting town, I enjoyed it, the "Bächle" (tiny canals) are quite unique.

notamermaid

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Renmar it took about an hour and three quarters from Vega de Terron to Salamanca that’s just about the longest I can put up with but it was a good group on the coach so not to bad. CA

Thanks CA. The reason for asking, we always wanted to take a trip to Portugal & Spain and wondered if a river cruise on Douro would do the trick or should we go for a land tour. We have done several land tours in Europe like 4 weeks around France, 3 weeks Tuscany and of course the Netherlands.

Our first river cruise would have been on the Danube from Passau to the Black sea and back but that one is now cancelled 😒 (not by us).

Anyway, we are looking for a trip to Europa as soon as we are allowed and can travel again which might be farther out than we like but alas it is what it is. In the meantime I will be following the river cruising treads but also the Ocean going cruise treads (Although this tread is the most fun). Thanks @notatamaid.

We can dream, right?

Theo

Sorry, I am such a lazy bum - I just logged-in for the day.

In an effort to entice more people to join us in our game, I will attempt to refrain from posting arcane photos lacking visual clues that make identification particularly tedious. I will still attempt to stump you – don’t want to make it too easy. 😁

Hence, pictured is a beautiful, serene place that I visited (first photo) on a land trip. The town in which it is located can be visited on a river cruise (second & third photos).

Name the venue in which the fountain photo is located as well as its city. On which river cruise would you visit this venue?

000.jpg

first.jpg

00001.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

The third photo certainly is French, the street sign (plaque) on the house looks French and there are French flags in the street. A nice old building, perhaps a fortress. I would say it is on the Rhone, but it may be the Garonne.

Rhone?

notamermaid

A small chapel in the nave of a larger cathedral, with a fresco of someone holding a lyre. The writing says "David Rex" - as in King David? Suspect not the Dnieper because the writing is Roman, not Cyrillic. And most Eastern saintly figures have a gold halo surrounding the head which I don't see here.

That all said I will channel my inner notamermaid and confess that I have no idea where it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

King David as in "from the House of David"? Not that it helps me either. I notice now that there are names left and right of the figure, the left one seems to say "Saul".

It looks Eastern to me, but the Latin letters do not fit, true. I keep thinking there is something wrong with this photo. The pillars, the vaulting and the medieval scroll carving on the left do not fit with the concrete-modern looking part above.

Still no clue.

notamermaid

Suddenly, I had this idea... @Host Jazzbeau I think I have found it (and I am a bit embarrassed that I did not recognize this from the background). It did look familiar a little bit  but it has been a while since I was in that huge building. I think it is the part that holds the modern organ in Cologne Cathedral on the Rhine. And the painting is modern as well. I said, there was something odd about this whole assembly.

notamermaid

You are correct @notamermaid – it is the Cologne Cathedral.  I thought this picture might be a stumper because it is so NOT Gothic.  But it also stumps me, because my notes don't indicate where it is in the Cathedral. 

Edited to add:  I found it, and you are exactly right.  This is the arch that supports the Nave Organ.  Here is a picture that shows the context:

Köln,_Dom_St._Peter_und_Maria,_Hauptorgel_(2).jpg

Anyway, you're up @notamermaid

It is the transept organ from 1948 according to Wikipedia. I assume you have taken the photo from there. It looks weird, partly because it rests on concrete, they kind of stuck it where it was convenient after WWII and before the full restoration of the Cathedral.

I only found it after I had figured out the name Saul and started looking around for David and Saul together.

I leave you with this one overnight. Yes, I am afraid it is an abc - another blessed castle :classic_wink:. Please name the river and town - add the castle's name if you like but it is not necessary. It is a river cruise port:

DSCN3077.thumb.JPG.26250226d406548acf604da407ed4486.JPG

notamermaid

It is so nice for us here on the west coast of Canada when you post the picture just before you are calling it for the day because that gives me time to search and try to get the answer.

I think I got it right this time;

The village of Alken along the Moselle river, the castle is called Burg Turant Castle.

Theo

• Like 1