The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

As requested, here are the rules for the game that is here to while away the time till we can river cruise again.

The rules for the game:

Eligible for photo:

River suitable for river cruise ships and canal suitable for river cruise ships that includes their excursions nearby, can be anywhere in the world, from the Mississippi to the Yangtze.

This means okay is as follows:

river - yes

large canal - yes

inland body of water (lake) - yes

popular pre-cruise close to river - yes

popular post-cruise close to river - yes

close to river is kind of up to two hours one way maximum, not too obscure but a popular excursion

river cruise meaning overnight stay on the ship, meaning it rules out small rivers that are only suitable for excursion boats unless they are connected with a river cruise excursion of course

river cruise ship meaning notable size that is more than a barge - I would say down to around 45m length (that short length only really applies to the Thames which has been declared eligible due to one ship sailing officially with one itinerary)

make it clear in your post what you would like people to guess (for example river/city/name of church), if you think it is obscure and keep people guessing for days, give a hint – you can give a hint anyway if you like

For those guessing:

you can guess as often as you like

remember the price is getting to post the next photo, so do not post a photo out of turn

For the photo poster:

When someone has guessed, “officially award” the price

You do not have to post a photo from a river cruise it can have been part of a land trip

And: we like to talk, so tell us how you got to shoot the photo, or what year you went on your cruise or what land trip, or any bit of story you would like to share connected with the photo. You do not have to but we are bored and like to share happy memories of travelling.

Thank you. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

That is indeed a beautiful place, dogs4fun! The tile work on the roof outdoors is simply stunning. Glad to see Renmar posting.

It's Hôtel Dieu, in Beaune. Rhône River, (well, technically off the Saône).

We went there in 2005 during our 4 week xxx France.

You are right, most of the excursions are done from cruises on the Saône.

Maybe I should have used this picture instead, probably a bit more difficult to guess. 😁

1945911134_frankrijk3184.thumb.jpg.d28af701a743fadcb87d8e091e97182b.jpg

Anyway, you are right so it is your turn to post the next one.

Theo

Four weeks in France - what a luxury!

I think that when we get back to traveling we will take more land-based trips and fewer cruises, at least to Europe. We've been doing more and more DIY trips there in recent years and enjoy doing things at our own pace.

Here is a picture, then. This castle has a distinctive profile n the twilight. So, please name the castle, the town, and river from where it is visited.

864424483_CCPic28.thumb.JPG.2da2f7e04c21ddfa870b051ef4e51d2d.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Four weeks in France - what a luxury!

1 week Burgundy, 1 week Ardèche & 1 week Britany + 1 week for traveling in between. We stayed at the so called "Gite's" which were easily  booked on line. Best way to go we think.

If we can not do a river cruise then we will most likely do a land tour again and this time along the Danube River. Biggest problem for us is the car rental because a lot of rental places will not allow travel to the former East Blok countries.

No idea about the picture though.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
added info

"Four weeks in France - what a luxury!

I think that when we get back to traveling we will take more land-based trips and fewer cruises, at least to Europe. We've been doing more and more DIY trips there in recent years and enjoy doing things at our own pace."

We have rented an apartment  in Paris with a kitchen so I could take classes at Le Cordon Bleu.

• Like 1

I do not think this is a German castle, the roof on the left makes me look to Southern France. Rhone?

@jpalbny the flexibility of a land trip is certainly a plus for touring small places, especially those not close to rivers that an excursion will never take you. Even in Germany which is crisscrossed by navigable rivers and canals and you could easily spend six weeks on water on river cruises, a whole part of hilly country you will never see. Parts of Hesse and most of Thuringia with the the city of Erfurt are never visited.

The Moselle is a great river for cruising, I would recommend it in a heartbeat, but even there a land trip is great for those villages in the hills off the beaten path. For a trip on water there are always the excursion boats that take you up and down sections of the river from Spring to Autumn.

notamermaid

14 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I do not think this is a German castle, the roof on the left makes me look to Southern France. Rhone?

Yes, Rhône. I left that roof in because I had hoped that someone could identify that. 

Connected with good wine then. Definitely a ruin as you can see right through the windows. Judging from the angle with the streetlamp I would say not in the forest or on a rock overlooking the river directly, more a hilly small town location.

notamermaid

51 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

There are two words in my last post which might help, if translated into the local  tongue

The only thing I can come up with is

Château Lamartine Cahors Cuvée Particulière but that is just a wine label. Probably looking at the wrong words. Back to the drawing board.

Theo

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

So, to put it into English it is the new castle of the pope...?

notamermaid

PS: No I am not saying that this is the answer, I would like someone else to say.

I think @Daisigave the correct answer unless @jpalbnywants the exact name which would be;

Châteauneuf-du-Pape-Roquemaure-Rhone River.

Theo

Good job all! You found the clues. I tried to make them cryptic but still can't fool you ringers! Castle and new(er) are in 2711, and the higher authority in 2713 references the Pope.

This castle was built in the 1300s as a new castle for then-Pope John XXII, one of the Avignon popes. Thus, the Pope's new castle - AKA châteauneuf-du-pape. It lent that name to the village and the wine region as well. But what I found fascinating is that another 600 years passed until the next Pope John, XXIII.

We visited CdP in 2015 on a Rhône cruise. I am usually not so fond of that region's wine but enjoyed the tasting that we did there.

Daisi is up next. Theo, I'm a government worker, so close enough for me. 😉

Edited by jpalbny

I was about 20 seconds behind Daisi with my post - hoping I would give the final clue for someone. @Daisiyou had already got it right. :classic_smile:

I have heard of the wine of course, I think have had one bottle in my life of the stuff. Fascinating to see that the new castle is actually a not so impressive ruin! A nice one though. But then it was the Summer palace out in the country which is always a little more intimate than the representative palace.

I went on a land trip to the area many years ago and loved it. Did not go to either palaces but many other sites, especially the Roman legacy buildings.

My favourite sights from that trip: Arles amphitheatre and Pont du Gard (that bridge).

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

This castle was built in the 1300s as a new castle for then-Pope John XXII, one of the Avignon popes. Thus, the Pope's new castle - AKA châteauneuf-du-pape. It lent that name to the village and the wine region as well. But what I found fascinating is that another 600 years passed until the next Pope John, XXIII.

A big reason for that lapse of time [if I remember correctly from the time of the good Pope's election] is that during the 15th century papal controversy when there were three simultaneous papal claimants, one of the 'antipopes' took the name John XXIII.  That tainted it because no one knew whether the next pope with that name would be XXIII or XXIV.  Bishop Roncalli wanted the name and decided that he would be XXIII, since antipopes shouldn't be honored with a position in the succession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipope_John_XXIII

The same thing had happened with the other 'antipope' of that time, Benedict XIII.  In 1724 there was finally another Pope who wanted the name Benedict, and he was numbered XIII. The third claimant from that time, Gregory XII, was accepted as the true Pope (even though he was forced to resign to end the controversy with a clean slate) so the next Gregory became XIII.

Wikipedia has a series of articles titled 'Popes named ...' which have lists of all the Popes and antipopes [there have been far more than I realized] with a given name – makes interesting reading when we can't travel...

But as to the new contest picture:  I got nothing'

• Thanks 1

Looks to be a tower within a castle. Definitely built in two different centuries, I mean another story was added to the tower in a later century. The only thing I can say in addition is that it is not Marksburg castle.

Edit: and the sandstone looks kind of German, but need not necessarily be. The flag is a clue of course, but yellow and blue?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid