The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

The trunk is either extremely large or the chair is a child’s version of a rustic ladder back rush seated chair maybe French rather than Dutch but it could be out of context. The trunk could be very! old. CA

Trunk is large.

Theo

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Aah, an escape game 17th century style! :classic_biggrin:

Just kidding. This sounds like a serious religious matter. My guess.

Although perhaps some enterprising events person somewhere has come up with such a game. It would not surprise me.

notamermaid

Actually, there is an escape room in Rome replete with steamer trunk (although not the trunk featured in Remar's photo - no clue on that one) - Harry Houdini's Magic Escape Room. 😏

I think there are also a few of his escape rooms sprinkled throughout the states. Enterprising minds at work. 😄

Edited by dogs4fun

Hugo Grotius the gentleman is referred to in German, Wikipedia says there is a bust of him in the  Walhalla in Regensburg. Clever, impressive man. And clever wife :classic_smile:!

Well I will leave this to jp or whoever else gets the complete solution.

Bedtime for me.

notamermaid

• Like 2

I'm going to let someone else pick it up from here, as I've answered so many.

If someone wants to Google some of the keywords I've posted and the name that notamermaid posted, the answer will appear. And the story is well worth a read!

Edited by jpalbny

42 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I'm going to let someone else pick it up from here, as I've answered so many.

Very nice of you to give others a chance. The problem with posting from the west coast is the time difference with Europe.

Theo

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Loevestein Castle? Gelderland, Netherlands.....

That is the correct Castle, I will give it to you even though we asked for the river as well but you are close enough. 

The Castle is located on the confluence of the Waal (the Rhine river branches off into the Waal & Rhine at the small town of Millingen, Netherlands) & Maas ( Meuse) rivers.

The story of Hugo de Groot you can find here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Grotius

OK, your turn to post.

Theo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

This posting just made me realize that the suburb of Albany known as Guilderland, where we lived in the mid 1990s, is named after Gelderland, where this castle is located!

Do they know they misspelled it? 🙂

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

This posting just made me realize that the suburb of Albany known as Guilderland, where we lived in the mid 1990s, is named after Gelderland, where this castle is located!

As a person with a Dutch background I think I can explain the spelling. I am not 100% sure but it is possible that they mixed up the 2 names. Gelderland is the name of the province, the Guilder on the other hand was the name of the currency (now the Euro). So, maybe somebody understood Guilderland instead of Gelderland and left it at that.

You probably already know that a lot of places in the US have names derived from Dutch towns & cities & people; "Harlem" to be the best known but also "Staten Island". 

Here you can see the whole list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_of_Dutch_origin_in_the_United_States

Can you tell I am proud of my heritage 😊.

Theo

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Coral Are you asking for river, town and name of church? Just checking.

I start off with saying that it is a nice double onion dome. They like building those in certain parts of Europe. It looks to be nestled in the mountains.

notamermaid

Sure. river, town and church. This was on an excursion from a river cruise so not right on the river.

Just the name of the church or town is fine.

Edited by Coral

57 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

We enjoyed an extended driving trip through the scenic Tyrol region and actually attended mass at this Catholic church! What a gorgeous area.  Small world. 🙂

When did you visit @Coral?

I think 2018. It is a gorgeous area! Would love to return and spend more time there! I hear it is really crowded during certain months.

I don't think it is a frequent excursion for river cruises but was on mine. A driving trip in that area is definitely on my list! Next time you go - let me know! 🙂 

Edited by Coral

We are getting closer then. Catholic church in an Austrian village, region Tyrol, surrounded by low mountains (which does not narrow it down that considerably in Austria...). The river is the Danube, from which there is a not so frequent excursion to this place. No, no idea.

11 hours ago, Renmar said:

Can you tell I am proud of my heritage 😊.

Always good to remember and appreciate where one comes from.

As a positive side effect from this thread I get the feeling that I have learnt more about the Netherlands' geography and history in three months than in four years of history lessons at school (I did more years of history, but I did learn a little, so four years is my estimate).

So much fun!

notamermaid

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

We enjoyed an extended driving trip through the scenic Tyrol region and actually attended mass at this Catholic church! What a gorgeous area.  Small world. 🙂

When did you visit @Coral?

How come I can never stump you!?! Most of my Europe travels have been land based and not near where river cruises visit. So I can only use a subset of my pics.

Edited by Coral