The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

We are getting closer then. Catholic church in an Austrian village, region Tyrol, surrounded by low mountains (which does not narrow it down that considerably in Austria...). The river is the Danube, from which there is a not so frequent excursion to this place. No, no idea.

When it is safe to travel - you need to go! I am envious that you are within driving distance of so many cool places.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

We are getting closer then. Catholic church in an Austrian village, region Tyrol, surrounded by low mountains (which does not narrow it down that considerably in Austria...). The river is the Danube, from which there is a not so frequent excursion to this place. No, no idea.

Western Tyrol could be reached easy from the Rhine as well. It could also be visited from a lake cruise around Bodensee (Lake Konstanz).

Theo

I assure you @Coral - you can easily stump me.

The bulk of my travel has also been land based - see so much more that way & DIY allows for spur of the moment decisions on where to spend more or less time. I tend to remember things in which I am interested ... especially music, architecture & ancient Roman/Greek/Etruscan history, art & architecture.

I am very interested in the photo of the stele (?) on Verona's  Ponte Pietra bridge but @acwmom hasn't answered my query & I don't recall the bridge from our visit. I have contacted Venona's TI asking about the stele - since the bridge has been rebuilt many times, who knows from whence the artifact came?

I rarely recall items seen in museums unless, to my mind, it has a "wow" factor. I never would have recalled Renmar's chest had I visited the castle (which I didn't). BTW - I read that the Rijksmuseum claims to have Hugo Grotius' authentic chest. 😏

I suspect that I identify some of your photos due to the fact that we most probably share some common interests. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

21 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I am very interested in the photo of the stele (?) on Verona's  Ponte Pietra bridge but @acwmom hasn't answered my query & I don't recall the bridge from our visit. I have contacted Venona's TI asking about the stele - since the bridge has been rebuilt many times, who knows from whence the artifact came?

I haven't forgotten you, and have been researching like crazy, but have yet to find anything! I'm sure our Uniworld Tour Guide told us about it,  but that was in 2013. I'll keep searching, but would be interested to hear if Verona's TI gets back to you.

Robin

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I rarely recall items seen in museums unless, to my mind, it has a "wow" factor. I never would have recalled Renmar's chest had I visited the castle (which I didn't). BTW - I read that the Rijksmuseum claims to have Hugo Grotius' authentic chest. 😏

I suspect that I identify some of your photos due to the fact that we most probably share some common interests. 🙂

I think we do have the same interests as I remember seeing you on the Baltic boards pre-Covid making some recommendations that I had not visited but was intrigued by.

I only guessed the chest due to the clues everyone who knew it put out.

I was looking for a different church in my pictures but found this one instead and decided to use this one as it was a better picture.

Edited by Coral

40 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Western Tyrol could be reached easy from the Rhine as well. It could also be visited from a lake cruise around Bodensee (Lake Konstanz).

Theo

All I can say is that I was on a Danube trip. I reached there via bus.

Thanks for your efforts @acwmom - I've also been searching to no avail. 😟 If I don't hear from the TI in Verona, I'm gonna contact the excellent & very knowledgeable Roma Subterranea guide used to visit sotterranei di S Paolo alla Regola. He may know something. I'll let you know if I hear anything definitive. 

If all else fails, I will definitely hire a guide on my next visit to Verona as I am dying to attend the opera festival at the amphitheater (was gonna go last year but, alas ...)

Edited by dogs4fun

21 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I haven't forgotten you, and have been researching like crazy, but have yet to find anything! I'm sure our Uniworld Tour Guide told us about it,  but that was in 2013. I'll keep searching, but would be interested to hear if Verona's TI gets back to you.

Robin

I was also intrigued by this thing which looked like a gravestone at first, but then I noticed that it may have had coloured or plain white coats of arms, the outlines in stone are still there. I tried a search in German but could not find anything.

notamermaid

Don't know what happened @dogs4fun  Seems like the computer snagged your post and marked it 'for approval' – but I read it over three times and couldn't find the trigger.  Possibly the 'recommendation' of a tour guide [but it was OK because you mentioned that you had used them, and it wasn't a recommendation anyway].

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renmar said:

Theo

You are right of course, Tyrol stretches along much of the border of Austria with Germany. From a Danube cruise it is further than Salzburg. Coral you must have gone a bit of a distance on the bus that day. Question is: why would you go so far, is this a special place that resonates with North Americans? I do not think it is Innsbruck.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

You are right of course, Tyrol stretches along much of the border of Austria with Germany. From a Danube cruise it is further than Salzburg. Coral you must have gone a bit of a distance on the bus that day. Question is: why would you go so far, is this a special place that resonates with North Americans? I do not think it is Innsbruck.

notamermaid

I had never heard of this place before I arrived in Austria...... I was going to go to Cesky Krumlov that day but it was going to rain that day there. This was an excursion that was added once on the ship.

I hear it is very popular vacation destination for Europeans. I hear it can be busy in the summer. Not Innsbrook.

We traveled from Linz. The name of the church is similar to the name of the town.

Good thing I didn't post an inside picture of the church 🙂

Let me go one farther - I was not familiar with the Tyrol area. I am assuming Dogs4fun knows the area better than I do. I will confirm it is in Austria.

It is probably within 30 minutes from Salzburg.

Edited by Coral

Ok - I am an idiot - thought it was in the Tyrol - local architecture sure appeared Tyrolean. @Coral is correct - it is only about a half hour drive from Salzburg.

Hint: Think of a lake named after a saint who shares Mozart's name - the village is located on its shore.

Edited by dogs4fun

OK, so I found Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut, near Salzburg, thanks to the clues above. Haven't found the church yet.

Incidentally my first thought when I saw this picture was Salzburg, but I looked through my pictures and couldn't find this exact steeple, so I assumed I was way off.

Just now, jpalbny said:

OK, so I found Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut, near Salzburg, thanks to the clues above. Haven't found the church yet.

Incidentally my first thought when I saw this picture was Salzburg, but I looked through my pictures and couldn't find this exact steeple, so I assumed I was way off.

Actually - this is not it but close. We visited both places the same day.

22 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ok - I am an idiot - thought it was in the Tyrol - local architecture sure appeared Tyrolean. @Coral is correct - it is only about a half hour drive from Salzburg.

Hint: Think of a lake named after a saint who shares Mozart's name - the village is located on its shore.

Incorrect on Mozart's name. Though there are Mozart connections in the area. You probably visited both places and they look similar.

Edited - you are right - we visited St. Wolfgang that day also for the Christmas Markets. I misread and thought you were inferring it was in St. Wolfgang.

Edited by Coral

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's on the same lake (Wolfgangsee), though. Found a church that matches your picture in a nearby town, St. Gilgen. You can take a ferry from Sankt Wolfgang to here.

Yes is on the same lake. Dogs4fun was correct in that.

The church is named after the city........

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's on the same lake (Wolfgangsee), though. Found a church that matches your picture in a nearby town, St. Gilgen. You can take a ferry from Sankt Wolfgang to here.

I think you are correct, the name of the church is Parish Church of Saint Egidius

Theo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I think you are correct, the name of the church is Parish Church of Saint Egidius

Theo

My notes say: Church of Saint Giles in St Gilgen but that appears to be it also.

You win. You and jpalbny figured it out at the same time.

Edited by Coral

What a beautiful area this must be! The Google pictures are amazing. We need to drive through here, preferably in a new Audi. We've been close to this area a few times, but never on the shores of this particular See. So many places to visit, so little time...

Great picture, @Coral! Thanks for adding another place to my must-see list.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

What a beautiful area this must be! The Google pictures are amazing. We need to drive through here, preferably in a new Audi. We've been close to this area a few times, but never on the shores of this particular See. So many places to visit, so little time...

I was planning on going to Cesky Krumlov that day for Christmas Markets. It turned out that they were not open there until the following day. The Christmas Markets opened that day in the Austrian Lake District so we went there instead. 

It was stunning in November. I am sure it is wonderful in the summer. Our guide said it is very crowded in the summer.

Edited by Coral