The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, jklc123 said:

Budapest on the Danube? Maybe Margaret Island?

Definitely Margaret Island! Margaret was a daughter of Hungarian King Bela IV, who was sent to the island to start a convent. This was the King's thanks to God for him surviving a Mongol invasion. We are pretty sure what Margaret thought of the arrangement, but she had no choice back in the 1200s. She did defy other orders from her father, though.

But it is a quiet oasis in the city. Easily reachable from the #2 tram. Just walk across the bridge and you're there. We spent a few hours wandering up the island from south to north. At the northern tip, we caught a city bus back to the southern tip, where we took the tram back to the ship.

I was trying to choose between some of these other photos for my quiz post, so I'll share them here.

A monument commemorates the union of Buda and Pest

951293382_Danube2016_04-158.thumb.jpg.dc5d74c1887bc29862edce9b60759f64.jpg

A ruined church

217173131_Danube2016_04-164.thumb.jpg.4783da4b105c58415d79b414cbeaea89.jpg

St. Margaret's resting place.

818920799_Danube2016_04-169.thumb.jpg.27c82409936877583a9d1c497379921c.jpg

More tranquility. 

17910513_Danube2016_04-173.thumb.jpg.61d093f18b43f05ffc76714b6e8d349b.jpg

Your turn!

Thanks @dogs4fun. I found the name of the man whose statue I sat next to,, but for some reason, I couldn't find the rest of the story. Appreciate the added detail!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Maragaret Island. Another place we didn't get to -- didn't leave enough time for DIY - ing. Great photos, as always.

This photo includes lucky school kids I assume getting a history lesson in situ.

Which river, which port?  (Not a port always on cruise itineraries but right on the river -- the port, not the buildings.)

thumbnail.jpeg

Jazzbeau, you are right. And JP, you did sail right by on your cruise. Due to high water, on our Uniworld cruise we had an extra day in Lyon (not a bad thing) and Vienne was an added excursion while the powers -that-be waited to decide if the ship could sail (the ship did but passengers had to be bused; still had a wonderful time).

Here other school groups learning history in such great settings -- Middle Eastern history in the Louvre and an art lesson in Giverny. What a great way to learn!

Your turn, Jazzbeau.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Vienne was our overnight stop on the way to my mums apartment in Spain. Fabulous hotel where the concierge insisted our daughters spoke French and they discovered colloquial French which they still remember. This was years before we discovered river cruising. CA

13 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

It does resemble the Temple of Portunus in Rome. But alas ... this temple is in France.

I was wondering if it might be in Padua or somewhere. The Rhone really is an amazing area to visit. I loved Arles, would like to see Nimes and Orange as well.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jklc123 said:

Here other school groups learning history in such great settings -- Middle Eastern history in the Louvre and an art lesson in Giverny. What a great way to learn!

I have done that sort of thing in Europe. In Berlin the wall, torture places, Nefertiti, the Ishtar Gate... We fitted two theatre performances in as well. One evening I was so wiped out from the day that I fell asleep in the theatre, well, it was warm and dark in that small place, can easily happen. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's a mirror image of you in a cruise critic baseball cap! Shameless plug...

Seriously it looks like a clock mechanism at the base of a clock tower. Where, I have no idea yet.

Yes, shameless plug for Cruise Critic.  But note how cleverly I concealed my face!

Cuckoo clocks was in the other thread.  No clocks here...

8 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I think it must have something to do with threads, like preparations for weaving.

But river?

notamermaid

Good description.  But note size comparison between me and the room furnishings.

8 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I think it must have something to do with threads, like preparations for weaving.

But river?

notamermaid

On second glance I think you're right, and I'm completely off with my guess.

But if it's silk weaving, then I have a guess.

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Hmmm... looks more like a display to me. Judging by the reflected size of @Host Jazzbeau vs the items on display, I would say this is a miniature display? A miniature museum perhaps?

Either that, or I'm as big as JP was small...  :classic_biggrin:

Ah, I believe I have found it (photo of this miniature room on Pinterest identifies the museum).  However, I haven't found the same room on the museum's website. 🙁

Here is the photo that I found ...  (there is also a good photo on flickr)

f9430cd08365dfd798b922599157fb99.jpg

Visited this city but not this museum.

Edited by dogs4fun

Hmm, yes miniature. A diorama in a wall? I notice there is a magnifying glass round it. As if you are supposed to spot something or to attract your attention to the fact that it is smaller than lifesize.

Edit: posted as same time as dogs4fun.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid