The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Oh don’t worry Renmar we will let you off this time. I have navigated enough of the States by that little map you get when you hire a car that it’s of no consequence now. We managed to stay on ‘your side of the road’ usually until San Antonio returning to our hotel from the Alamo, it was a bit of a weird road layout, we pulled over to sort ourselves out when one of San Antonio’s finest pulled up, all he said was ‘ oh tourists it always catches them out’. 
  I heard that they had a roundabout in Florida that had so many accidents, fender benders, that it was removed.

Thank you Notamermaid for finding where the starfish thrower was. CA

• Like 1

There are quite a few impressive roundabouts in Normandy. I found the 2nd photo posted by @jklc123The Pebble Collector Roundabout (photo below) on the road (D139/D130) to Etretat from St. Jouin Bruneval.

1218447906_PebbleCollectorRoundabout.thumb.jpg.fd221a44306bc199b667111bba86ed6a.jpg

The first photo posted by jklc123 is The Fisherman's Roundabout (http://photoscrapnature.canalblog.com/archives/2012/06/11/24475761.html). I found it on the road (D940) to Octeville-sur-Mer. 

143484168_fishermanRoundabout2.thumb.jpg.8c916681b1b167f3c326e1203b146414.jpg

No clue as to the whereabouts of CA's roundabout.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Thank you for finding that one, I could only find the pebble one through some French websites. I had thought they were in the same village or even connected. Got that wrong.

The French really like elaborate roundabouts and flower displays. The have a competition called Ville Fleurie; the town or village enters and gets awarded with a sign that has one, two, three or four flowers on it. But it is not just about flowers, also about respect for nature and community spirit.

I still have no clue where the roundabout is, @Canal archiveis it France as I had thought, perhaps along the Rhone?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Oh don’t worry Renmar we will let you off this time. I have navigated enough of the States by that little map you get when you hire a car that it’s of no consequence now. We managed to stay on ‘your side of the road’ usually until San Antonio returning to our hotel from the Alamo, it was a bit of a weird road layout, we pulled over to sort ourselves out when one of San Antonio’s finest pulled up, all he said was ‘ oh tourists it always catches them out’. 
  I heard that they had a roundabout in Florida that had so many accidents, fender benders, that it was removed.

Thank you Notamermaid for finding where the starfish thrower was. CA

Ahhh, but that is the states. Here in British Columbia the roundabout/rotunda, or whatever they call them, are different 🙄 (NOT). Only problem is that only about 15 to 20% of the drivers know that they supposed to use there turn signals.  

Theo

• Like 1

I was doing one of those surveys on the internet where you would say what you call different things - sofa vs couch, etc.  There was a picture of a roundabout and one of the answers was "I have no word for this." LOL  There are whole sections of the US without them.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I was doing one of those surveys on the internet where you would say what you call different things - sofa vs couch, etc.  There was a picture of a roundabout and one of the answers was "I have no word for this." LOL  There are whole sections of the US without them.

They should add a map showing those on the 'best places to retire' guides.  We old dogs are not up to learning new tricks!

Renmar sadly I’ve only been to Canada once and we traveled on just about every form of transport and only hired a car in the Niagara falls area and the ice fields parkway and back to Calgary. We really must return and go to Vancouver Island while my aunt is still with us. CA

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 3:35 PM, notamermaid said:

Are they working in the vineyards?

My thought as well - looks like the worker in the rear has a basket of grapes on his back. Well, no clue and must get to work in the yard. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

I think CA's roundabout is in Burgundy. If I squint I can make out the word "Meursault" on the sign at the left of the photo. A quick search of the surrounding area and I haven't found it yet...

Found it.

Place de Johannisberg, 21190 Puligny-Montrachet, France

And, we drove by this on our way to Beaune, on our 2015 Rhône cruise. I have a picture of this same roundabout. This is from Chris's camera, as we went by on the bus.

DSC04493.thumb.JPG.9cf91d7368f686d11ca1a0f621c7fff2.JPG

This one matches CA's shot better but shows more background, and the same sign that says Meursault. As well as a chateau which gives away the location. 

DSC04492.thumb.JPG.5f4cf30d78c269efc6527a8b4ce69259.JPG

Edited by jpalbny

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Found it.

Place de Johannisberg, 21190 Puligny-Montrachet, France

I'm impressed! Try as I might, I was unable to read any of the signs (and I did try). You are quite an eagle eye. 😄 Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I'm impressed! Try as I might, I was unable to read any of the signs (and I did try). You are quite an eagle eye. 😄 Well done!

I got lucky and it actually said what I guessed it said... Still cracks me up that I had a picture of the same exact roundabout.

Here I am relaxing on a park bench with a friend. Who is he, and where (what city/river) can I find him again if I want to catch up on all the trips (and cancellations) since we last met?

1746424125_CCPic37.thumb.JPG.499069836209c2e0db91533f6b6006ff.JPG

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Here I am relaxing on a park bench with a friend. Who is he, and where (what city/river) can I find him again if I want to catch up on all the trips (and cancellations) since we last met?

Hmmm...

“ Tradegy” that the statue of this guy is so oversized. 😆 I only recognized this fellow by his very distinctive mustache. As I recall, there is a quaint music pavilion on this island.

Edited by dogs4fun

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

dogs4fun, from your comments I take a wild guess and suggest he is a classical composer. 

He wasn't a composer. Actually, I remember him as an author (although he wore other hats as well) - he wrote a famous poem (with similarities to Milton's Paradise Lost and Goethe's Faust).

Edited by dogs4fun

I see, thanks. Now that you say it, the guy looks a bit more like someone staring into the far distance but actually being in his own little world of words. Grand words, it seems. 19th century and American?

@jpalbny are you in the US in this photo?

notamermaid

47 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

19th century and American?

19th century, yes. American, no (although one can find a bust of this author/poet in the Cleveland Cultural Gardens). I find @jpalbny's photo interesting - I like how he is seated next to the sculpture appearing quite diminutive in comparison & I wonder if he read/studied the epic poem written by this man with whom he posed.

Perhaps jp will provide a clue as to the whereabouts of his photo. 🙂

My post containing the following, “ Tradegy that the statue of this guy is so oversized" contains a spelling error that I just noticed -  should read "Tragedy" - Tragedy is a clue.

Edited by dogs4fun

I'm not in the US. I am in a popular city for river cruises. There have been many pictures posted from here. But as usual, we are a bit off the beaten path, striking out on our own. We enjoyed this calm oasis in an otherwise busy city.

Hint: this part of the city carries the name of a female member of the royal family.

And sorry, I don't know anything about the subject of the statue. I did find a name, later on. To this simple tourist, it just looked like a nice place sit and try to mimic his pose. 🙂