The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Musée Cinéma & Miniature--Lyon- France-- Loire river. 

It took me a while to find this place on the internet. The clue re language help a bit and also the clue about weaving made a difference.

Of course I could be totally off but I'll give it a try anyway.

Theo

• Like 1

You got it, @Renmar  You surely didn't mean 'Loire' 😀  Either Rhône or Saône would be correct, but I'll accept your otherwise perfectly detailed answer.

I thought the weaving theme and my hint that it was an embarkation port would be an obvious clue. 

But maybe it was a double feint, because the last picture was also from the Rhône...

Anyway, you're up!

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You surely didn't mean 'Loire' 😀  Either Rhône or Saône would be correct, but I'll accept your otherwise perfectly detailed answer.

Thanks for giving me a pass although the answer was not 100% right. Shows you I need to go on my first river cruise so I can come up with the proper name.

I need a little time to find the next picture to post.

Theo

With this game it is a bonus to come from a small country and have a lot of pictures of that country. Obviously you don't have to guess the country but I like to see the name of the attraction, the name of the close by city and the name of the river. I think that sometimes river cruise ships use this port.

DSCF0048.JPG

Jazzbeau picture is an homage to the ateliers of the fashion industry who mainly worked from home or in small groups. At first I thought it was on the Seine, the Bolbec textile museum, fascinating place. CA

renmar this does look a little - Heath Robinson!

Edited by Canal archive

Is that a roof with reed, i.e. a thatched roof on the right? The red machine looks as if it has got a heating section, perhaps for coal or wood. Not sure what it would do though. Perhaps this is a former small manufacturing building. I would say not a blacksmiths, but something with wagons or a cartwright?

The river Meuse (Maas)?

notamermaid

@Canal archive I have no idea who or what Heath Robinson is, probably something British, maybe you can educate me. 

@notamermaidit is not the Meuse although this place is within a 1 hour driving distance from almost every river in Holland. You are on the right track with the blacksmith idea and the thatched roof but think bigger.

Theo 

41 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

William Heath Robinson was a cartoonist who’s drawings of weird and wonderful machinery are super. CA

Thanks for the info, I looked it up, interesting.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Is it part of the Zuiderzee Museum near Enkhuizen?

You are too far north & west. Drive about 120 KM (80 miles) southeast from Enkhuizen but make sure you don't go too far and cross the border (I told you it is a small country😊).

Theo

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

Thanks for the info, I looked it up, interesting.

You are too far north & west. Drive about 120 KM (80 miles) southeast from Enkhuizen but make sure you don't go too far and cross the border (I told you it is a small country😊).

Theo

How about the Netherlands Open Air Museum in Arnhem?

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

How about the Netherlands Open Air Museum in Arnhem?

You got it @gnome12. This open air museum is just outside the city of Arnhem. They brought together mainly old farm buildings, a few windmills and other items typical for the Dutch landscape.  Here is a link;

https://www.openluchtmuseum.nl/?taal=en

Your turn.

Theo

This looks a really nice museum. I have been to  some in Germany mainly. I would like to see the Arnhem one. There are a few places in the Netherlands I would like to go to, Nijmegen, Maastricht and Amersfoort mostly.

notamermaid

Wild card!

I have been to the Zuider Zee museum, but didn’t get to Arnhem on either my Tulips and Windmills cruise (Antwerp to Amsterdam) nor on my bike and barge from Bruges to Amsterdam. 

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

This looks a really nice museum. I have been to  some in Germany mainly. I would like to see the Arnhem one. There are a few places in the Netherlands I would like to go to, Nijmegen, Maastricht and Amersfoort mostly.

notamermaid

Do you like to share why you choose those cities. The reason I ask is because there are so many smaller towns and cities that are worth a more in depth visit.

Theo

@Renmar I have mentioned that I like the unusual, so do not go for "wow beautiful". 😀 

Maastricht - the river landscape of a town and the caves 

Nijmegen - used to be the destination stop on a train line from Germany when I was young, history

Amersfoort - the layout of a Dutch town and the fortifications 

notamermaid