The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Sedlec Ossuary, Prague Czech Republic.  From a Danube River cruise?

Yes, you got it!!  We really enjoyed the short drive from Prague to the little town of Kutna Hora and then to find this most unusual "bone church" as it is called. What an interesting history.  Should we ever get back to cruising I would visit this again I think. Great beer and wonderful Pork Hock at a little pub not far from here.

• Like 2

Some more of my research for the trip we were supposed to take.  🙂

notamermaid was looking for more evening pictures, so I'll post this one.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

IMG_2406.JPG

Thanks, Daisi. I know what you mean about the buildings. Both huge! Although I have been to Cologne many times, I have rarely seen it in darkness with the skyline lit up. I love the Hohenzollern Bridge at night.

Okay, I leave you with this overnight, it is probably a little difficult, so I give you a hint. It is a small river cruise port. And to add: there is also a strong clue in the photo.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

197163421_IMG_20200809_125229-Kopie.thumb.jpg.2ce2ea5dd5a34f7eb1f8fb62e6aa7df3.jpg

notamermaid

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Got it! It's on the Main.

Too busy to post a picture now, so I will wait until I'm at work this morning. If nobody else gets it I will answer in an hour or two.

Yes, I confirm it is on the Main. I am not surprised you as the seasoned Main river traveller got it. :classic_smile: 

Let's see if someone else figures out that this town got a "special mention" in another thread just a few months ago.

notamermaid

Yes it is. I went there during my trip to Würzburg and the Main area. Now I can finally post the third installment of my trip to Franconia in the thread on the Main! That is where I mentioned the story of Snow White.

The Schloß in Lohr is where the real life person that was supposedly the inspiration for the young lady in the fairy tale lived.

I only went into the entrance area of the museum this time, looked pleasant, I do want to go back to see the famous mirror.

Here is the complete photo I took, which would have been far too obvious, seeing that it has the banner of the museum in it:IMG_20200809_125229.thumb.jpg.b17060d77497305641fd99d14ee8b065.jpg

I had thought that they only have a landing stage for excursion boats, but I phoned the tourist information centre and the lady confirmed that they have a second one for river cruise ships. Hardly any dock there, as the main attraction is Würzburg nearby,  approx. 60km in river kilometres.

Over to you, jpalbny.

notamermaid

• Like 1

OK, here's one. I actually saw a picture of this circulating around FB a few months ago. Having been there, and having taken this picture (below), I recognized it right away. If you've seen that picture, or if you've been to this location to see the original, you will probably recognize it immediately.

320795583_CCPic5.thumb.jpg.149e6b6fbee2b1962f7cef360cb3eb93.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

Yes, isn't it a cool bit of art? Sheep, made entirely out of old vintage telephones. Perfect for the communication museum. 

Not a river cruise. We flew over for a long weekend...back when travel was a thing. I think Frankfurt is very underrated. We had a great time there.

It's the feet that got me.  The head's were easy to spot, but it wasn't until I was reading about it, I noticed the feet were also parts of phones!

OK @jpalbny, since you guys like to climb...wonder if you would do this one?  🙂

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

DSC02440.JPG

• Like 2

The feet of the sheep, yes, I only noticed them much later, too. What an unusual installation. Very fitting for the museum, I did not even know Frankfurt had a telecommunications museum. I agree that Frankfurt is underrated, admittedly it does not appeal as much as other places like Würzburg or Cologne, but the mix of old and modern with some of the best art museums in Europe is a great attraction.

I am getting dizzy just thinking about those ladders, Daisi. It looks familiar... possibly climbing a tower seeing such a finial "in nature" close up somewhere.

But I am sure someone else has, too.

notamermaid

On 11/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, Bake apple said:

Hi all, We visited this location while on a Viking Cruise last summer.  I bet it will be too easy but it is such a fun thread!

I was fortunate to visit this place twice on genealogy tours of the Czech Republic!  Kutna Hora is a fascinating town as well.  Our group was small, and we had the sites to ourselves.  Thanks for the memories!

Vacation Photo.jpg

I still think this is a finial on a church - basically the ornamental end bit on the top of spire. There are probably quite a few of those in Europe, so not sure I have seen this one. Daisi, you say one cannot climb up this tower, if I have understood you correctly.

I will give it a shot and say Rhine River.

Hadn't realised until yesterday that what we call a Kreuzblume in German is a finial in English, the same word you use for the end of a curtain pole. I think this finial in the photo is a little bigger. 😉

notamermaid

It looks decidedly French to me; so much so, that I was leaning towards the Seine. Since you say Rhine, that makes me think of Strasbourg.

But I just looked at my pix of Strasbourg Cathedral. Although it's built with that color stone, and has lots of copper in the roof, I can't find a finial that looks like your picture. Still, that's all I can think of that matches the style of this church.

Wherever it is, I am sure that someone has to go out there now and then to adjust the TV antenna... 😉