The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Kyiv was founded in 482 AD, according to the legends, by the four siblings depicted in this fountain. The city is named after the eldest brother, Kyi.

These four legendary founders were Eastern Slavs. The Nowgorod conquest (and the time of the Vikings) was about 400 years later.

Edited by jpalbny

Correct!  That was fast!!! I even cropped the flags out. Sadly,  I don't have the "artist eye"  that many fellow CC'ers are blessed with.   My photos mostly consist of " 1. Building, 2. Building with tour guide or 3. building with DH"!   🙂

Your're up!

Edited by knoxclone
  • Like 1

Ah, a church in Western Europe! At first glance it looks like many, many others. But it does have some details. Firstly, the dimensions are a bit reduced from the big cathedrals, but it looks as if it has a significant status and you photographed it. Which makes it stand out, unless you only took a picture for art's sake.

Adjacent is a cloister I think. The figures are difficult to make out, but I count 13 statues so I reckon it is Jesus and his twelve disciples in the façade. Two extra ones on either side of the door that might have a different significance. I would put this in early Gothic.

A Medieval monastery church?

notamermaid

Ah, that explains it. Seeing it on the computer I noticed the monument of a man seating and a Hungarian name. I thought there was something about the church that did not quite fit with me saying "Western Europe"...

I definitely spent too little time in Budapest!

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added sentence

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I definitely spent too little time in Budapest!

Definitely worth a visit.

The chapel is next to the complex of Vajdahunyad Castle.  The castle buildings showcase various Hungarian architectural styles in a grand building in Budapest City Park.  Hope you don't mind seeing some additional photos of the area. 

2AA42176-5814-40E6-BE4A-A28121552EA4.jpg

5E9D36AC-276E-4A24-ACE4-3E2C123734D6.jpg

B74E8605-BF54-4B6F-96FD-E80DEB91ACD7.jpg

E88078A4-1A35-4035-95FF-C586601CDF6E.jpg

• Like 2

@Mitina, those pictures are beautiful.  We were supposed to be in Budapest next May, but I think it will probably be in 2022 before we get there.  We have the Vajdahunyad Castle on our list to see...now it's definetly something I want to go to!  

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Mitina said:

The chapel is next to the complex of Vajdahunyad Castle.  The castle buildings

Thanks for reminding me of that beautiful area in Budapest. 

We visited there on the day we embarked our cruise. The boat was moored at an out of the way pier (Drava 2) but there was a convenient bus to Heroes' Square. From there it was a beautiful little stroll across the lake to this gem.

A lovely place to spend the early evening. I like the lighting in your picture. 

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Who are the eleven statues flanking the portal?  Jesus should be surrounded by 11 or 12 apostles, not 10.

That is the problem I had. I mentioned it earlier and just added the two at the sides. I might be wrong to add them, but they are definitely - if wikipedia is correct - the apostles. That portal is a copy of a different church attached to this old chapel in 1896. The original I happened to find on wikipedia in German. It is this sentence: quote Als für die Ausstellung zur Jahrtausendfeier Ungarns 1896 im Budapester Stadtwäldchen das historistische Ensemble Burg Vajdahunyad geschaffen wurde, erhielt die Burgkapelle („Ják-Kapelle“) eine Kopie des romanischen Portals von St. Georg. unquote

From the page: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Georg_(Ják)

notamermaid

7 hours ago, Mitina said:

Jaki Chapel in Budapest.  We visited during a Christmas Markets cruise on the Danube

Wow!  I thought I was being so clever by finding something a little more obscure.  You guys are good!

Sorry about the delay, I totally forgot my pic was up or I would have been more attentive.

You're turn Mitina!

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

IMG_6664.jpg

Edited by Mitina