The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I like how one of the coat-of-arms shows a snake swallowing a human figure. And the human wrestling the lion reminds me of the Labors of Hercules.

That hasn't helped me solve the puzzle. But it is still pretty cool!

Edited by jpalbny

jpalbny, I think it is pretty cool, too!

@Mitina, I think I have found the place.

The Wendelstein of Schloss Hartenfels in Torgau on the Elbe.

I have got "this thing" for spiral staircases, but I would never have figured this one out without finding the prominent part of the main coat of arms - Saxony!

notamermaid

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The Wendelstein of Schloss Hartenfels in Torgau on the Elbe.

Correct. A visit to the castle as part of the Viking Elbe river cruise. These pictures are the outside of the Spiral Staircase within the inner courtyard.  The 28-meter high stair tower is impressive for the view from within.

Torgau has Second World War history as well with the first meeting of US Army and Soviet forces.

Looking forward to your next contribution.

IMG_6665.jpg

IMG_6666.jpg

• Like 1

What an amazing construction. The staircase is an early one that has no central column. From the 16th century, it is modelled on an earlier version in Meißen (also on the Elbe) and both are in a time frame and style of the French stair towers in Loire palaces - say German architectural texts. Well, one of my favourite spiral staircases is certainly the double helix at Chateau Chambord. It has been attributed to Leonardo da Vinci, but it has never been proven that it is his design. Would love to see it in person, only admired it on television so far.

jpalbny, I have found all the coats of arms described in the heraldry text on this page, but unfortunately the lion tamer is not described. Nice close-up though: https://www.heraldik-wiki.de/wiki/Schloss_Hartenfels#:~:text=Prunkportal Schloss Hartenfels,-Bernhard Peter%3A Das&text=Feld 1%3A Landgrafschaft Thüringen%2C in,darüber ein grüner schrägrechter Rautenkranz

Anyway, as much as I may be fascinated by this edifice in Torgau we need to move on.

Photo coming up soon.

notamermaid

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

To begin with I give you no clue, I think it should not be too difficult. I would like the river, town and structure that the town is known for named please:IMG_20201101_155819.thumb.jpg.8e0841e73f0eb5947277057915ccab0d.jpg

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
clarification

16 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Is that the Remagen Bridge? Friedensmuseum. On the Rhine, in Remagen.

Yes, it is! That was very quick. I was hoping I could get one clue in, in an hour or so. Grin.

I am standing on the opposite bank on the "Erpeler Ley". Someone had recommended the view. So I went up there and it was good indeed. I could see the distant Eifel hills, the Apollinaris Church in the other direction and the ferry. As well as the occasional barge of course. Here is another photo: IMG_20201101_155635.thumb.jpg.1b31eac011ef3785c9948c4cabe30228.jpg

It is quite surprising how high this is - a sheer drop of over 130m. The word Ley means a mostly protruding (slate) rock or rock face. Just like in Loreley. The Erpeler Ley is actually a volcano and has in parts these typical basalt columns.

The Friedensmuseum in the Remagen towers had to close for safety reasons, but they were going to move it into a building in town. I have not followed it up.

It is not a magnificent place but I think it would be fun to have this view as a short excursion available on a river cruise, i.e. cross over from Remagen on the ferry and take the coach up there. Remagen is a port but I think only for 110m ships. Shall find that out some time.

Over to you, jpalbny.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Over to you, jpalbny.

Thanks! I will take a page from your playbook and make this a wild card. First one who wants to post can have it! I have posted a lot so far and would like to give someone a chance.

• Like 1

I have butted in here, but  thought this  one is for notamermaid.   Technically on a river, but usually accessed by the other kind of cruise ships.

This is totally against the rules of our game, so please , someone put us back on track.

RB 

DSC05700.JPG

• Like 1

@Ritabob, thanks for posting, love the staircase! Do you want to tell us where it is, if it does not fit the rules? And post a river cruise and/or excursion photo? Or, if I have understood it correctly you prefer this, alternatively we could leave it in the competition and let people guess. I would say yes, please guess, we will just stray a bit - if it is alright with you. Then the next person can play by the rules again. :classic_smile:

I have no idea where this might be but I will put it under the heading "Art Nouveau". Oh, oh, I am already guessing, kind of...

notamermaid

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! The art Nouveau museum in Rīga, Latvia.   The museum was locked up, but you were able to go in and take a picture of the staircase.

Walking along the streets you could easily miss the beautiful facades unless you looked up.

Wild card time...

Since I beat @notamermaid by seconds, I'll take this one.  I took this photo while on a river cruise, but the location is not on a river.

First guess the town/city/place.  Then name the building.
SPECIAL RULE FOR THIS ENTRY:  no fair getting the answer by reading my blogs!!!

The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

1 (1).jpg

You really beat me by seconds. :classic_smile:

I had heard of the Art Nouveau in Latvia but obviously did not know the building with staircase. It looks great. @Ritabob thank you for the second photo.

I read that the river is not navigable for a longer stretch upstream as they built dams without locks in the Soviet Era. A pity for river cruisers. Must be great to have a harbour day cruise in Riga.

Which brings me to jazzbeau's photo. It looks like a harbour area or large lake. Is this a water "taxi" in the foreground?

notamermaid

Let's try Cape Town at the V and A waterfront and it is the Zeitz museum of contemporary art. Got it from your last clue and the little boat is the hoho around the harbour.

I knew it looked familiar as we were there last year.

Edited by vada_9