The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Oh, that is annoying I am cooking dinner and have no time to post. Grin. No, seriously another opportunity for readers in the background to jump in and post us their photo.

Shall we keep this open for a few hours? I would love to see a new avatar...

notamermaid

Sadly, I'm not on the computer that has all the river trip photos on it. 

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

OK.  I'll try an easy one because I like the colors. Not on a river but a site often visited by cruisers.

thumbnail-4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Sadly, I'm not on the computer that has all the river trip photos on it. 

Oh, that is a pity.

Dinner cooked, eaten, and have retired to the sofa. He have had a brilliant sunset tonight. And it is a blue moon!

We have had one nighttime photo so far, I wonder if there are any others that are so distinctive in their riverscape that we could guess them? I have one idea.

But that is for another time.

Next up - above - is jklc123 's photo to guess.

Thanks again everyone for joining in the fun.

notamermaid

I am not familiar with the Netherlands that much, but the elaborate tulip field and the borders, together with the building still signal "Dutch" in my brain. Many places have nice tulip displays, like Koblenz, but I do not think this is in Germany.

So, Netherlands?

notamermaid

Oh, that is difficult. Still looks the North Sea area to me. I reckon this was taken during a late Tulip Cruise itinerary and I guess Belgium. I do not know Belgium in Spring at all, I have only ever had stays or day trips between July and December.

Edit: jklc123, we have posted at the same time, but your clue does not help me.

Anyone with a bit more of an idea here?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

I have been to St. Petersburg, but not to Peterhof Gardens. The day we were scheduled to go was cold, rainy and stormy. Others did go to Peterhof and said it was magnificent, even in the bad weather -- so we made a mistake. (Your mention of the hydrofoil was the clue that lead me to Peterhof.)

Notamermaid mentioned it might be good if someone posted a photo of a night scene. I have a few and will go through them to try to find something suitable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Ah JP, I knew you’d beat me to it. Gorgeous place.

Sorry!

I had to look up the building and bridge, but I recognized the mini-tour Eiffel immediately and knew it was somewhere in Lyon.. I agree, Lyon was beautiful, especially at night. 

More nice pix!

We did a bit of independent touring in Lyon on embarkation day, as well as the next day. Very nice.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

This should be easy if you notice a few clues in the picture. If nobody gets it, I'll tell you what the clues are. 😉 I will be running on the treadmill for the next half hour or thereabouts - so you're on your own until I finish!

9585792_CCPic4.thumb.JPG.f9848457618fa47c11cc4520a4e71a23.JPG

Edited by jpalbny

Let's see. An interesting assembly of figures in a fountain, quite distinctive. I see a warrior with shield, a Viking archer, another man, a lady and some swans or geese. Norse mythology or Scandinavian history of this place? But the Rotunda-like building on the hill does not quite fit to it. And a clock on grass. Where one would find such a mix I have no idea. Could be anywhere in the Northern hemisphere, even the US, but probably not further East than the Black Sea.

Edit: I think I go for history of town now, as one of the guys looks a bit different, not quite Viking, perhaps a different culture or younger? Probably not US, I think I will settle on anywhere in Europe, but not too far South, definitely not Spain. 😁

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Edit: I think I go for history of town now, as one of the guys looks a bit different, not quite Viking, perhaps a different culture or younger? Probably not US, I think I will settle on anywhere in Europe, but not too far South, definitely not Spain. 😁

notamermaid

I agree that some of the men look like Vikings.

I'll give another hint.

The figures in the fountain represent people who are older than the Vikings. The Vikings may have played a later role in the history of this city (that could refer to many cities, I know).