The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I found it earlier, but would like someone else to tell us. The portal is in the ceiling painting and I assume it is intentional. Counter reformation gave me the info I needed - in German, because this building is indeed well known in the context of "Gegenreformation".

notamermaid

Well, I found it by googling the relevant terms, but am happy to hold on to the answer in order for someone else to have a chance.  It's  beautiful church, though I'm struck by the fact they are burning Lutheran bibles in the painting.  Good gracious.  Why can't we all just do our own thing and get a long?  But then, that's pretty much the story of history in general.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ljandgb said:

Well, I found it by googling the relevant terms, but am happy to hold on to the answer in order for someone else to have a chance.  It's  beautiful church, though I'm struck by the fact they are burning Lutheran bibles in the painting.  Good gracious.  Why can't we all just do our own thing and get a long?  But then, that's pretty much the story of history in general.

That was several centuries ago.  The Catholic and Lutheran churches have had friendly and productive dialog in recent years.  They are now much closer than the political divide in many countries.

St Charles Church, Vienna...Danube River?  More properly known as Karlskirche?

2020 can't come soon enough, I am getting more and more to see for our cruise...I've got to stop! 😉

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was several centuries ago.  The Catholic and Lutheran churches have had friendly and productive dialog in recent years.  They are now much closer than the political divide in many countries.

Oh, I know, but it just seems counterintuitive for a church to be advertising the burning of any bible on it's ceiling.  I'm not a history buff, but even I understand much conflict over the last 2,000+ years was driven by "my religion is better than your religion."  Just a comment on how more tolerance would have been better for everyone.

Back to guessing where all these cool pictures are from...

Richard Fain, CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, recently posted a video message to travel agents that started with a long quote from the beginning of Dickens' Tale of Two Cities ["It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."]  As the quote goes on, it sounds a lot like 2020 on several fronts [politics as well as pandemic].  He also pointed out that in a little over a month, December 21 to be exact, we will reach the nadir as the sun continues to diminish and Covid continues its latest surge.  But he also expressed the hope that, with the recent double vaccine announcements, as the sun begins to return after that date so will our hopes and spirits revive.  "From his lips to God's ears..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

Oh, I know, but it just seems counterintuitive for a church to be advertising the burning of any bible on it's ceiling. 

Yes, but... It's not a Bible to them. It's a heretical false document. Not counterintuitive at all from that perspective. 

To you, @Daisi

What an interesting object, Daisi. German language, "Lieb Vater", etc. and an eagle. I guess not Austrian, as this object looks old, meaning it should carry the double eagle of Austria rather than the single one. It also looks a bit more like the one Germany uses today. There is a cross on it that makes me think it is a memorial statue for the war dead. But it looks too slender and there is something attached to it. Those metal rods make me think instead that this is a fountain or rather a well in a town.

Which river I cannot say.

notamermaid

Prussian eagle, Iron Cross, and the text.... "Betritt kein" (... Feind hier deinen Strand). "Lieb Vater" (...land magst ruhig sein), "fest steht und" (treu, die Wacht, die Wacht am Rhein) - the Lyrics of Die Wacht am Rhein (the watch on the Rhine), that couldnt be more German. Proud Kaiser.

So, river I go for the Rhine. Just the city....hmm.... 

9 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Prussian eagle, Iron Cross, and the text.... "Betritt kein" (... Feind hier deinen Strand). "Lieb Vater" (...land magst ruhig sein), "fest steht und" (treu, die Wacht, die Wacht am Rhein) - the Lyrics of Die Wacht am Rhein (the watch on the Rhine), that couldnt be more German. Proud Kaiser.

So, river I go for the Rhine. Just the city....hmm.... 

Aaah! Die Wacht am Rhein. Vater landyes that makes more sense. It also has got a certain familiarity for me. Historically I think this needs to be downstream from Worms and upstream from Cologne. I have an idea...

notamermaid

That really is an unusual column. As it is near the Dom I must have seen this, just not taking in what it actually is. Perhaps I should have a guided tour in Mainz some time.

Here is my photo. A bit blurred - sorry - but so iconic I think it will be very recognizable.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river.

After that name the town/city/place.
The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

1200462377_012-Kopie.thumb.JPG.cd705a3fe25dab284aeb11796dbea199.JPG

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
forgot name

Yes, I know this one. It's quite unique and very memorable. We left the pier at night so we had a nice view of this structure. There are two buildings here that light up at night like this, so make sure you get the right one!

I'm feeling a little dense about the last one. We spent two days in Mainz and must have walked by this area 10 times. How did we miss this impressive column? In our defense, I think that there was a festival going on, so maybe the square was full of food tents...

Edited by jpalbny

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I'm feeling a little dense about the last one. We spent two days in Mainz and must have walked by this area 10 times. How did we miss this impressive column? In our defense, I think that there was a festival going on, so maybe the square was full of food tents...

Either that or it was not there. Not sure when you were in Mainz but it was away for renovation from 2006 till 2011: https://www.mainz.de/en/worth-seeing/compact-mainz.php#SP-iframe-10-1:4

notamermaid

To be fair, I think our group was the only one of the 3 tours out that really had any mention of it.  Our guide for Mainz had to do his timing right, as he was also the demonstrator for the Gutenberg press at the museum.  I think we were a bit early, so he was trying to keep us together while waiting for the other groups.  He was a really good guide, had photos of Mainz after the war and showed us what buildings had been re-built and how badly they were destroyed.

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That really is an unusual column. As it is near the Dom I must have seen this, just not taking in what it actually is. Perhaps I should have a guided tour in Mainz some time.

Here is my photo. A bit blurred - sorry - but so iconic I think it will be very recognizable.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river.

After that name the town/city/place.
The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

1200462377_012-Kopie.thumb.JPG.cd705a3fe25dab284aeb11796dbea199.JPG

notamermaid

I've seen this one at night as well. The Lentos Art Museum, Linz, Austria. The Danube.

• Like 1