The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Now your picture. So much gold! And Buddhist symbolism I think. Mekong River to start?

Sorry, not the Mekong, but very Buddhist.

1 hour ago, deec said:

Irrawaddy River, Yangon, Myanmar...I can not remember the name of the main temple.

59 minutes ago, deec said:

cheated but I think it is in Shwedagon Pagoda complex

It is a part of the Shwedagon temple complex

. The statue is of my Myanmar Zodiac sign. There are 8 zodiac signs, depending on the day of your birth. Wed have 2 - Mornings are elephant with raised trunk, afternoons with lowered trunk. Further more, you pour water over the white marble statue.

Over to you

Edited by vada_9
  • Like 1

The Irrawaddy River was one of our very favorite trips....It was really a step back in time and a total immersion into another culture.  We had a wonderful guide who opened and gave us a glimpse into sacred world of Buddhism.

• Like 1

Makes me think of the Upper Rhine valley or an excursion to a town nearby. Yes, I say on the Rhine (though not necessarily the river one can see in the photo). There appears to be a jetty with a café perhaps. Is this a gauge tower at the river front?

notamermaid

It does not look like the Rhine to me. In the middle Rhine valley usually the slopes are steeper, even rocky in parts, and higher than what we see here. And the Rhine valley does have a railway line and/or a trunk road running parallel, in most parts at least.

Here we have a more gentle slope. And a large settlement, houses three/four stories. But no railway and just a bit of a road (lanterns).

From the slope in the background and the vineyards I would go for the Main river. And a large city in a hilly environment, I can only think of Würzburg. If I am correct, we look at the wine area of "Würzburger Stein", one of the oldest and most renown wineyards in Germany.

• Like 1

Great deducing, @AnhaltER1960. The Main would have been my second choice. As you quite rightly pointed out, the hills in the Middle Rhine valley are steeper and more rugged. Nierstein is actually officially in the Upper Rhine plain geographically, just upstream from the Middle Rhine but is part of the Bingen-Mainz area still. Judging from the structure of the buildings and the red roofs I had thought it might be in Baden-Würrtemberg upstream from Karlsruhe.

That "Würzburger Stein" is a fascinating vineyard and so important that it has got its own Wikipedia website in English (!): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Würzburger_Stein

@deec What I thought might be a gauge tower is an 18th building belonging to the architectural complex of the old crane nearby. And that jetty is an old barge turned fish restaurant. Würzburg is getting more fascinating the more I read about it. Must go back as soon as possible.

Now, where will AnhaltER1960's photo take us?

notamermaid

• Like 1

Ok, guess its my turn now. On a sunday, time for a church. To make it not too easy, just the reflection of it.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river.

The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

1936333149_DSC_0256(Kopie).thumb.JPG.d328a667cb9d271044b1c76816fb1a2c.JPG

DSC_0256 (Kopie).JPG

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

What I thought might be a gauge tower is an 18th building belonging to the architectural complex of the old crane nearby.

The Alter Kranen restaurant in Wurzburg serves delicious food. We ate there a few years ago.

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Ok, guess its my turn now. On a sunday, time for a church. To make it not too easy, just the reflection of it.

A very pretty reflection! Is this in Hamburg?

42 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It looks like red sandstone, possibly enhanced by the light at the time of day you took the photo. Somewhat makes me think of Heidelberg, but I think it is not there. Perhaps this is not far away, though.

You are absolutely right, the picture was taken shortly before sunset, which makes the reddish sandstone looking a bit more red than daylight sun. You are also right, it is not Heidelberg. 

Not far away ... depends from where :-). It is not the Neckar.