The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Nobody ready? Okay, I am. :classic_biggrin:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river.

The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

Where is this? I do not request the name of the structure if you do not know it, town and river will do.

1978332524_Urlaub001-Kopie.thumb.JPG.1dd897eb487c789de6fac9d3a5a270c0.JPG

notamermaid

By the trees, I'd guess Eastern Europe but the type of concrete suggests western Europe.  By the slant of the sun and the fog, I'd guess a latitude over 50 degrees.

Ha, just kidding.  No clue.  

Yes, Jazzbeau, work has been crazy busy.  I'm a doctor, though thankfully not acute care inpatient.  Add to that my partner abruptly medically retired and we're trying to absorb his clinic.  I can't complain about a steady job, but at 52, I'm at the age I'd rather not ramp UP my  clinic.  Time to find a young eager partner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

By the trees, I'd guess Eastern Europe but the type of concrete suggests western Europe.  By the slant of the sun and the fog, I'd guess a latitude over 50 degrees.

Ha, just kidding.  No clue.  

:classic_biggrin: Yup, I know I do that. I think a concrete aggregate company CEO might get close to the answer, by examining the concrete, he he. Once had two men at my house trying to judge how old the pumice was. Seriously!

Oh, and you are basically right with Eastern Europe,.

So, Ritabob, it is not the Moselle as you rightly guessed. And

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I think that I recognize the bridge - believe that it is located on the Danube & is named after one of the offspring of a very powerful emperor.

dogs4fun, it is the Danube, no clue about the origin of the name at the moment.

notamermaid

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

dogs4fun, it is the Danube, no clue about the origin of the name at the moment.

notamermaid

I just Googled the name of the bridge and I believe I am correct - at least it looks like the bridge.

An exchange student that stayed with my brother's family was from one of the cities in which the bridge is located - thus, when we visited, we had a wonderful tour of the area with a local. I vaguely recall her telling us about the history of the bridge.

3 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I'm a doctor, though thankfully not acute care inpatient.  Add to that my partner abruptly medically retired and we're trying to absorb his clinic.  I can't complain about a steady job, but at 52, I'm at the age I'd rather not ramp UP my  clinic.  Time to find a young eager partner!

You've read my mind!

Except that I am Pulm/CC so we are busy for obvious reasons. But I am also 52 and had one of our partners (who was 100% outpatient) retire a few months ago. So, like you,, my workload is going in the wrong direction quickly.

We are going nuts covering ICU and all of his outpatient practice at the same time. Here's hoping for some help soon.

Oh yeah, from the style of the brushstrokes on the green paint of that bridge I suspected that it was a post-neomodern specimen from western Bulgaria. 

But I found it. It's a bit upstream from Budapest, before you reach Bratislava, and crosses between Esztergom, Hungary and Štúrovo, Slovakia. So I guess I have to study my painting styles a bit more...

Dogs4fun, who was Mária Valéria?

@jpalbny It is the young, old-style, bridge at Esztergom, you are right. I am a fan of steel bridges, had a great time taking photographs of the underside of the bridges in Budapest! It was an early morning and a cool Spring, so the bridge looks a bit muted in colour in morning mist. Esztergom was an unexpected fascinating place and we had a good guide. I enjoyed the town a lot.

Your go.

notamermaid

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

who was Mária Valéria?

Archduchess Valerie was the daughter of Franz Joseph I and Elisabeth (the famous Sisi). Valerie was born in Budapest (the only of four children to be born in Hungary) & was reported to be Sisi's favorite.

• Thanks 1

OK. Had to finish up at work. Now home awaiting my pick-up dinner order to be ready, but here's one for you.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river.

The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

This picture is from a port where one can embark on a river cruise, although we did not.

1112775623_CCPic10.thumb.jpg.6474a99a75b55d93d3797db593262966.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

First thing that came to mind was Vigeland Park - all the nudes. I honestly am stumped.

No river cruises in Oslo, as I'm sure you know. It also reminds me of that park, though.

Edited by jpalbny

The sculptor has a number of other works exhibited throughout his home country. This particular sculpture was erected posthumously, though many of his other works were confiscated in WWII and melted down, either for their content or for their metal.

There is a modern art museum in the capital of his home country, in the building where his studio was located. There is also a small exhibit of his work at MOMA in NY. 

Going out for a walk; will check back in an hour or so.

Edited by jpalbny

30 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

Wow, that was a complete guess. We started our Christmas Market cruise in Frankfurt and went on the HO Ho - noticed a lot of modern sculptures out past the railway station.

Will have a photo shortly.

So - what is the name of the statue?