The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

8 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for the next photo. At first glance this looks like leading to completely open waters, but perhaps it is a lagoon or huge bay. Can I see a statue at the right hand side of the photo, in the far distance?

notamermaid

It is actually a lighthouse, and you are correct about the rest.

According to a North Carolina directory, there are more than 22,500 lighthouses in the world, so I do not think I will be able to guess this. 😁 Nothing looks familiar in this photo and  I declare myself to have no clue where this is.

notamermaid

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fragonard said:

Venice lagoon the floodgates

Was my first thought, too. I recall those small lights (like the one next to the sailinig boat), which are also used to mark the navigation channel connecting airport and city. So were looking towards the open sea with the Punta Sabbioni lighthouse in the back and the (construction of the) flood barriers between Lido die Venezia island and Punta die Sabbioni peninsula to the north.

So lets wait for @acwmom to solve, but I already send my congrats.

7 hours ago, Fragonard said:

Venice lagoon the floodgates

Yes, you are correct, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

We saw the construction during a Po River Cruise on Uniworld, in 2013. Uniworld had an engineer as our guide, who was very knowledgeable about the project. To be honest, I'd forgotten about it until last month.  I follow our favorite hotel, Al Ponte Antico, on IG and FB, and they posted a video of how they were "dry," thanks to MOSE. Since this article, they've activated the system a second time.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-flood-barrier/index.html

Your turn to post a picture now!

• Like 1

We were to do that cruise last year but the cruise ship damaged the Uniworld boat the week before we were due to go so it was cancelled.

I don't usually follow this thread but I saw the photo in passing and it was a huge coincidence since I was doing a zoom Italian language lesson yesterday and we had to translate an Italian article on the MOSE project so it was still fresh.

Thanks but I will take a rain check on the photo until I have more time to follow along.

• Like 1

Have been there too. Just found it in my pictures. Not far from the spitter! The guide didn't say much about this portal but I was intrigued by it. So I stayed behind for some pictures.

And I also have some close-ups of the JM statue. I don't remember who JM is, but my sister used to be married to someone with that same last name, so that's why I took the close-ups.

Edited by jpalbny

As I am in California and therefore hours behind most of you, I will check back in several hours. I wonder if anyone knows why I choose this rather unremarkable photo at this time of the year. Those with the home advantage probably do.

I have just finished breakfast, too, I am - err - a late riser these days...

@AnhaltER1960 so you know it well, this town on the Rhine. I spent some happy days shopping and late Friday evenings in a bar/pub just down the road back in the day.

I was hoping someone would tell us the answer quite quickly, but I think you must be busy in anticipation of Thanksgiving - and a good night's sleep. Talking of festivities, @jklc123 have you posted the photo because of the Advent calendar?

notamermaid

Sorry, was on the tablet, very little room to get info in the way the page is set up here. 

OK, this is the  Jesuitenplatz in Koblenz.  There is a statue there for Johannes Müller.  The "windows" are used for an advent calendar.  Here  is another picture from a different angle with the statue.

DSC02524.JPG

• Like 2

Anybody been to the market with a few windows lit up? It's been a few years since I was there. Here is a photo on the page of the official Koblenz website: https://www.koblenz-touristik.de/kultur/plaetze-in-koblenz/jesuitenplatz.html

@jpalbny Johannes Müller was "of your trade", a Koblenz-born doctor who became professor of what the internet calls "Physiologie und vergleichende Anatomie" in Berlin.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, I was hoping you would have a pic of the windows done.  I hope someone has one, it would be nice to see.

Ok, on for something different... this isn't on a river really, but an excursion you would take.  We just loved the setting.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

DSC03091.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

V e r y  lovely setting indeed. I'll have a Kirschwasser on it. Cheers.

Boy, that brings back memories.  I was introduced to Kirschwasser at my first Thanksgiving with my late in-laws in California over 50 years ago.  They had emigrated to California from Freiburg.  After dinner Heinrich introduced me to Kirschwasser and the Goldwasser.  Today, my wife is making roulade and apfelkuchen as our traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Farang said:

Boy, that brings back memories.  I was introduced to Kirschwasser at my first Thanksgiving with my late in-laws in California over 50 years ago.  They had emigrated to California from Freiburg.

Here we are, in the Black Forest. Kirschwasser is deeply rooted there, as many farms do have distilling rights to produce their own stuff, standard is 50 Vol-%. So its much more than the industry stuff they sell in the supermarkets, but you have to go to the farms directly, they dont have any selling platforms. But a rewarding visit 🙂

Now to the photo: Rhine river, Black Forest. My first thought, when I saw the pic. The hills with the pastures half way uphill looked familiar to me as well as the farmhouse in the foreground, though having a saddle roof and not those hipped roofs one usually considers as typical for the area. But there are regional varieties. For the detailed location the hill in the background (the one with the wind power generators) helped me as well as the electrical wire of a double track railway line, seen next to that red roof on the right hand side. There are not many double track electrical railways in a Black Forest valley (more railways, but they are not electrified or just single track),  And the hill, though rising high above the valley, but not reaching the tree line (the highest hills in the Black Forest do). This here is the Brandenkopf seen from the Gutach valley. The picture was taken from the Vogtsbauernhof Black Forest Open Air Museum looking north down the valley. The museum itself with several historical and traditional Black Forest houses (yes, hipped roofs) is in the back of the photographer.

• Like 2