The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Crisis over and thank you all for your patience!

This is not on a river but is a popular excursion for river cruisers.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.52d33841c3f6bfd64dfacdc671656a0b.jpeg

45 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Crisis over and thank you all for your patience!

This is not on a river but is a popular excursion for river cruisers.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.52d33841c3f6bfd64dfacdc671656a0b.jpeg

Rhine River, the hospice of Beaune

16 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Wrong river but that may have just been a typo!  Correct building and one of my favorite rooftops ever.

Closest to the Saone River. I was there on a bicycle trip, so not as aware of nearby rivers. If I am correct, please declare a wildcard. I’m off for a bike ride (at the end of November!).

5 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Closest to the Saone River. I was there on a bicycle trip, so not as aware of nearby rivers. If I am correct, please declare a wildcard. I’m off for a bike ride (at the end of November!).

We visited on a Rhone River cruise Lyon to Marseille that began with a short cruise up the Saone to Macon and then a bus ride to Beaune.  The hospice has a fascinating history (https://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/museum-hotel-dieu-hospices-beaune-2663.htm). 

Next up:  WILDCARD!

• Like 1

Burgundy and especially Beaune are high on the list of places I would like to see. Only driven through the area a couple of times to get to the South of France. Beaune has been very much recommended to me.

Wild card, good. Anybody ready to post us a beautiful or charming or plain unusual photo from a place on a river or near a river that they have sailed or been to on a land trip? We have had under a river (the Elbe) from AnhalterER1960, would above a river be possible as well? Yes, either a boat lift or an aqueduct. I wonder if any of you have taken such a photo... In the absence of unusual, as I wrote, the standard places will do fine. Important is that you like it because it means something to you.

If you have only recently joined reading this thread go ahead, share your photo and beat the regulars.

notamermaid

And know for something completely different. The cruises on this river are a bit more rustic and can be a full or half day. 

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

Just name the river and for extra credit the bridge the photo is taken from. 

To make this a bit quicker, I'll be adding hints fairly quickly.

20200710_134208.jpg

Edited by Sturmin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Is it in your home state?

PS - beautiful picture. Looks idyllic, unless you were trying to navigate it in a kayak.

This is one of the states that borders ND. The previous photo was looking up stream. This one is looking down stream. 

PS, thank you Jpalbny for your travel reviews, photos and the info in them. 

20200710_134220.jpg

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The color of the water looks glacial.  Is this in Glacier National Park in Montana?

7 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Glacier is a stunning place. Hope to go back some time!

It is on the edge of the Glacier Park. I appear to have made this too easy, but didn't think this qualified as a true river cruise😉. The second picture has rafters that had just passed under us.

Edited by Sturmin

11 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Glacier is a stunning place. Hope to go back some time!

This is our normal family vacation with an occasional trip to Yellowstone or up to N Saskatchewan fishing. Glacier is a favorite for the hiking and rugged beauty. It keeps getting more crowded but the longer trails are still relatively peaceful.

Huckleberry mtn lookout.

20200705_111715.jpg

Edited by Sturmin

1 hour ago, Sturmin said:

It is on the edge of the Glacier Park. I appear to have made this too easy, but didn't think this qualified as a true river cruise😉. The second picture has rafters that had just passed under us.

Too early to say it was too easy.  Nobody has guessed the river (much less the bridge) yet.  😀

2 minutes ago, Sturmin said:

Jpalbny and Jazzbeau have pretty much given it away but I had such good clues I'll give the last two. 1st part is between a spoon and knife.  The 2nd part is derogatory name for Neanderthals in Jean Auel books.

So I figured it was the Flathead River [I assume that is the Jean Auel reference], but it has 3 or 4 forks [which is between a spoon and a knife except in the Swiss Army :classic_biggrin:].  I'm not going to guess which one, because I don't have a picture to post.  :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

Lovely landscape. It reminds me a bit of the Rhine Alpine region, I reckon this is above 600m, or do you just have much pine in the region? With the vast distances in the US, I have no clue as how close this is to a navigable river. How far would this be to one?

Flathead, I have never heard Neanderthals be called that. Nerd comment: did you know the Neanderthals are named after the valley near Düsseldorf in Germany where they were first found? You can visit the museum there. I think this should be an alternative excursion on a river cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Lovely landscape. It reminds me a bit of the Rhine Alpine region, I reckon this is above 600m, or do you just have much pine in the region? With the vast distances in the US, I have no clue as how close this is to a navigable river. How far would this be to one?

Flathead, I have never heard Neanderthals be called that. Nerd comment: did you know the Neanderthals are named after the valley near Düsseldorf in Germany where they were first found? You can visit the museum there. I think this should be an alternative excursion on a river cruise.

notamermaid

Good morning, or afternoon for many. 

I had to look up the elevation,  it's is 980m near the bridge.  Navigable depends on the boat😁. There are at least two companies that offer white water rafting excursions and many locals float the rivers in the area.  The Flathead River flows West to the Columbia River eventually. As the crow flies and Google maps, that is 434km, but I'm not sure how navigable the Columbia River is at this confluence. 

I knew the Neanderthals were named for the valley they were discovered but not about the museum or that it was near Düsseldorf. That would be a great excursion. 

Lastly, the book was Clan of the Cave Bear(actually the 2nd in the series, Valley of the Horses had the flathead term) which was made into a movie with Daryl Hannah. I'm sure, too much info and not enough to do with river cruising. 

Edited by Sturmin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sturmin said:

I'm sure, too much info and not enough to do with river cruising. 

Not too worry. Thanks for all the info. After all, we do not just want to reminisce, we also want to plan future trips and we need lots to know beforehand. Apart from having tons of time to "beat to death", as we say in German, or kill as you would say, till we can fly, driver sail to our heart's content.

Okay, so does anybody know the fork and I think we still need the name of the bridge for you to declare the winner?

notamermaid