The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

45 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Here we are, in the Black Forest. Kirschwasser is deeply rooted there, as many farms do have distilling rights to produce their own stuff, standard is 50 Vol-%. So its much more than the industry stuff they sell in the supermarkets, but you have to go to the farms directly, they dont have any selling platforms. But a rewarding visit 🙂

Now to the photo: Rhine river, Black Forest. My first thought, when I saw the pic. The hills with the pastures half way uphill looked familiar to me as well as the farmhouse in the foreground, though having a saddle roof and not those hipped roofs one usually considers as typical for the area. But there are regional varieties. For the detailed location the hill in the background (the one with the wind power generators) helped me as well as the electrical wire of a double track railway line, seen next to that red roof on the right hand side. There are not many double track electrical railways in a Black Forest valley (more railways, but they are not electrified or just single track),  And the hill, though rising high above the valley, but not reaching the tree line (the highest hills in the Black Forest do). This here is the Brandenkopf seen from the Gutach valley. The picture was taken from the Vogtsbauernhof Black Forest Open Air Museum looking north down the valley. The museum itself with several historical and traditional Black Forest houses (yes, hipped roofs) is in the back of the photographer.

Wow, do you have an eye for detail!  But as Yogi said, 'You can see a lot just by looking.' :classic_biggrin:

9 hours ago, Daisi said:

@AnhaltER1960, you are correct. This is    part of the museum. It was moved there in 2018. It’s called The little Castle of Effringen. 

Thank you for updating me. It did not exist yet, when I visited the museum the last time, around 2015. And glad the museum people consider this, despite saddle roof, as a typical Black Forest house.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wow, do you have an eye for detail!  But as Yogi said, 'You can see a lot just by looking.' :classic_biggrin:

Thanks, yet another recommendation for Kirschwasser. Just dont overdo it and keep the last drops for cleaning the glasses 😄

love the (late) Art Nouveau writing on the wall. I am not sure but I would date this construction to around 1910. In German, so I have an idea where this is. But would like to read what our friends across that huge body of water make of this "thing" under a river.

notamermaid

This looks very much like the Alter Elbtunnel under the Elbe, in Hamburg. 

The 6 and a half rows of tiles are just like in my picture. And the style of the lights is also the same.

Screenshot_20201127-073857_SmugMug.thumb.jpg.cb08d6d27e14330fc3f95bb0d9790d41.jpg

The writing looks similar but I don't have a picture of the same sign that you do.

Screenshot_20201127-074130_SmugMug.thumb.jpg.cfd2cd4baf3cfe4d2dacbb007634371a.jpg

PS - this opened in 1911, so if I'm correct, @notamermaidis very close with her guess for the date.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Adorable letters, especially the umlaut dots in the "O". The lady in the other photo is adorable, too, but that goes without saying. :classic_smile:

If one did not know it was in Hamburg, the abbreviation HMBG. would give it away. So in the middle of the tunnel one is 21m under mean flooding level of the Elbe. I did not know that and I unfortunately did not go into the tunnel when I was in Hamburg.

About Koblenz: Quote: "@notamermaid, I was hoping you would have a pic of the windows done.  I hope someone has one, it would be nice to see." @Daisi I have made a note on my to-do-list saying "take photo of Jesuitenplatz". Perhaps it will work out. Then I will post a photo at the water cooler.

notamermaid

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

This looks very much like the Alter Elbtunnel under the Elbe, in Hamburg.

It does not just look like it, it is indeed the old Elbetunnel. Congrats, jpalbny, your turn.

Walking the old tunnel is not just seeing a fine piece of technical work, from the south bank of the Elbe you also get a fine view of the harbour and city.

Hafen330b.jpg

Edited by AnhaltER1960
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If one did not know it was in Hamburg, the abbreviation HMBG. would give it away. So in the middle of the tunnel one is 21m under mean flooding level of the Elbe. I did not know that and I unfortunately did not go into the tunnel when I was in Hamburg.

To be precise, the old Elbetunnel crosses the river in the tidal part of the estuary. So "Hochwasser" in this context is not mean flooding level, but mean high tide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

To be precise, the old Elbetunnel crosses the river in the tidal part of the estuary. So "Hochwasser" in this context is not mean flooding level, but mean high tide. 

Ah, that actually makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying.

I enjoy tunnels, especially railway tunnels. Must see that one some time. I have been through the tunnels of London quite a bit, mainly the tube, but also walked the Greenwich foot tunnel which goes under the Thames.

Great spotting the details in the Black Forest museum photo, by the way. That railway line is picturesque - the Schwarzwaldbahn it is called (what else!). With numerous tunnels and two long hairpin bends. I saw a programme about it on TV a few years ago. Gutach, where the museum is, received a model railway construction of the railway a few months ago and on completion will be open to visitors. It had moved from another town called Hausach. That should make the excursion even more appealing to boys of all ages.

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I saw a programme about it on TV a few years ago. Gutach, where the museum is, received a model railway construction of the railway a few months ago and on completion will be open to visitors. It had moved from another town called Hausach. That should make the excursion even more appealing to boys of all ages.

We got stuck in traffic trying to get to the museum the day we went...narrow streets, cars parked on both sides, and a truck that just couldn't make a turn.  Took quite a while to get through, and I'm sure those behind us weren't to happy that the tour bus was not really helping, as it was probably taking up a bit more of the road allowance than a car.  Our guide told us we would have limited time to see the museum, and that she was going to give an "overview" that would take up all but about 10 minutes or so of the free time.  Since we tend to hit a lot of these types of museums, we skipped the overview, but still kinda rushed through in order to be back to the bus on time.  Now you have given us a reason to go back.  Since the railway station is right at the museum, we can take a train, enjoy some nice scenery, and then view the trains.

@AnhaltER1960, my 2nd parents are Swiss, and we grew up with stories about the "village still's" for Kirschwasser.  From what I remember, the later you got to use the still, the better your brew, as it travelled from house to house. 🙂

@notamermaidyes, thanks.  Still have it bookmarked as we really enjoyed it.  We would love to sometime do a short term rental in a couple places and go back to some of the places we were at on our tour.  We took the train back from Basel to Amsterdam (the milk run, ran along the river until Cologne) and once we figured out how they worked, really enjoyed it, so that will be how we go.  

Could have guessed that you have the address. It looks really interesting. While looking up the area, I realized that I have actually stayed very close. Some years ago I a had short trip to Wolfach, which is in the next valley, where the Kinzig river flows. Really enjoyed it.

notamermaid

OK, sorry everyone. I was out of cellular data range most ofthe day. Luckily, I did not keep you waiting too long!

We went for a hike along the Ausable River in Upstate New York. There are no river cruises here, but apparently in the summer you can do rafting and tubing on this river. The gorge is pretty narrow in parts so no big river boats here!

20201127_123540.thumb.jpg.f0bb0fdcdf3adf7b393c59b5cfa34435.jpg

It reminded me of the Leutascher Geisterklamm, on the border of Germany and Austria, which we hiked when we spent a night in Mittenwald. Lots of bridges and steep banks down to the river below.

I have a picture for you. It is a city which is not commonly visited on river cruises, but some lines do offer an itinerary that visits here.

This statue atop this fountain directly relates to a legend about the city's name. Don't worry too much about the river, because I had to look it up myself. Just the name of the city and either the statue, or the square in which it is located.

529362201_CCPic12.thumb.jpg.1b6d01162a6f6e6a371cdcfd7f824689.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

I looked at the photo and in my mind the buildings immediately completed themselves to narrow ornate rich burgers or guild houses which are so typical of Flanders. It is not the Grote Markt in Brüssels but I would put it in Belgium as you say river cruises are few in that city and the river as I gather is not the Rhine or Waal.

notamermaid

Flanders, you are good! And correct, not Brussels. And it's not either of those two rivers. You are definitely on the right track!

I left the tops of those guild houses when I cropped the picture, as a clue. Glad that you saw it immediately. I also left them because we were here in the evening and the last rays of sunshine were magical against the gold.

Edited by jpalbny

JP - Antwerp's main square (which I think may be a stop on some Tulip Time river cruise itineraries), but I don't remember the name of the fountain.  If I'm correct it will be tomorrow morning (EST) before I can submit a picture because I'm off to bed now.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was going to say London and Diego Maradona holding the 'Hand of God' 😈

ggg, nice attempt. But I seriously doubt that the English would erect a statue for the hand of god (they might have, if la mano del dio scored against Germany though). So in England I would rather expect the twisted ankle of David Beckham.

From all the clues I found Brabo Fountain in Antwerp.

From Wikipedia:

"It is said that the giant Druon Antigoon cut off a hand to all the ship captains who moored in the area and refused to pay toll, then throwing it to the Scheldt. The captain of the Roman army Brabo, cut off the giant's hand imitating what he had done. The fountain reflects the moment when the Brabo throws the giant's hand into the river."

• Like 1

The brilliant and controversial Diego Maradona. RIP on a light blue and white striped cloud. Is there already a statue in Argentina for him? If not, I am sure it will come soon.

The ultimate football put-down for us would be if England erected a statue of a goal line with the ball just over it and the figure 1966... I will not go into details, it still hurts 😉.

Yes, David Beckham's ankle should get a statue.

I must admit I find that statue in Antwerp a bit gruesome now that I know what it is about, glad the legend does not tell of a head. I prefer the fish and fairy varieties on fountains.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Missing word
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

JP - Antwerp's main square (which I think may be a stop on some Tulip Time river cruise itineraries), but I don't remember the name of the fountain.  If I'm correct it will be tomorrow morning (EST) before I can submit a picture because I'm off to bed now.

16 minutes ago, Mitina said:

From all the clues I found Brabo Fountain in Antwerp.

Both of you have it. I think @capriccio got the name of the square close enough to award the prize, since I did say that either the square or the name of the fountain.

@Mitina, that is indeed the same legend that my tour guide (Chris) told me. Chris does most of the research and I concentrate on getting us from point A to point B.

For us, Antwerp was a stop on a Silversea cruise 2 years ago. We took the train to Bruges for most of the day on our own. But when we got back to Antwerp, we spent an hour or so wandering slowly through the town while we made our way back to the pier. The buildings were beautiful in the setting sun and the gold at Grote Markt was glowing.

Here is the full picture.

DSC_0035_edited.thumb.jpg.7ef63f2c8383429e39cd9fad20cd4d20.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Both of you have it. I think @capriccio got the name of the square close enough to award the prize, since I did say that either the square or the name of the fountain.

Capriccio is the winner.  Your turn.

Edited by Mitina