The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Seems like nothing is Google-proof 😊   It is the Szimpla Kert 'ruin bar' in Budapest.  

We were there for the Sunday's Farmers Market in the morning.

The place features eclectic decorations and is an eatery, music, bar and club venue. Apparently big with the younger crowds at night. In the Jewish District, it's definitely worth a visit if only just to view the interior.

https://www.ruinbarsbudapest.com/szimpla-kert-ruin-bar/

IMG_9888 (225x300).jpg

IMG_9901 (225x300).jpg

IMG_9912 (300x225).jpg

Edited by Mitina

Well, how many food markets have disco balls AND Rubic's cubes?  I'll have to suggest at least the disco balls for our local farmer's market!

We'll have to stop by there in September when we're in Budapest when we (hopefully) get to go on our Danube cruise.

Wild card.  I'll be away from the computer most of the day.

After the of hint of professor Snape, the only place I can think of is inside the castle that was used for some of the Harry Potter movies; Hogwarts Castle. The real name of that castle is "Alnwick Castle". Closest city is Newcastle upon Tyne. I have no idea if the river Tyne is used for river cruises but the rules state that it has to be close to a river so it does qualify.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
spelling

"River cruise on the Tyne? Na, not happening luv!" 😀  In Britain we have only allowed the mighty Thames to qualify.

They did film in Alnwick - and in Yorkshire.

Perhaps this is one of the inspiration places in Portugal. But I have no idea where. 

Edit: has anybody looked at the letters along the doorframe yet? A bit blurred on my smartphone, but is not proper Latin or modern Spanish.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

Snape's potion lab at Warner Brothers studio in London, exhibit on the making of Harry Potter?

From the now-legal Thames. It was on our list when we visited London last time but we ended up doing other things closer to the city (and cheaper) instead.

Edited by jpalbny

Yup, jpalbny got it.

I know, not very historical, but VERY popular if you are in London for some reason.  For any HP fans, practically required.  I was there with my daughter on a quick spring break trip.  We also scored tickets to the HP play, The Cursed Child, which was very good though a time commitment as it is actually 2 full plays done with a dinner break in between or on separate days.

Hope

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Now I want to visit!

Work is killing me today. Need to make this a wild card.

Hope you can get some rest later.

Who is reading in the background, eager to post a photo from their river cruise or land trip close to a river where cruise ships may sail?

Remember you could do the Neckar, the Kiel Canal, the Loire or the Oder... All still underrepresented in our trips to beautiful and interesting places.

notamermaid

This particular lavender field is located in Saint-Paul Asylum (Clinique Van Gogh), Saint-Remy - Van Gogh was committed here from May 1889 to May 1890. Van Gogh has a lovely painting of this scene - he had a view of the lavender fields through the bars on his window.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

You're right dogs4fun over to you, we went there with Scenic and later had the heaviest rain storm ever. We also went to Auvers-sur-Oise again with Scenic, so interesting how they present the village with the paintings set beside the original. Art is my thing especially VG, Mo, Ma etc so poor H gets dragged around. Giverney was special as we arrived early and there was no one else there. Bliss. CA

@Canal archive I did an art lecture for my fellow classmates in art class on impressionism, literally standing in the Jeu de Paume. That was long before they moved all the paintings to the Musée d'Orsay. Great time, but it never enamoured me to Paris. Would love to see the Musée d'Orsay. I steer more towards Manet and Renoir in the art world, but prefer Turner. Everyone clustered around Monet when I was in the National Gallery in London in 2015, but I had quality time alone with Turner. I have never really gotten into Van Gogh but do like some paintings. Here is one for the fan and you do not even need to drag your husband around: a podcast from the Städel Museum in Frankfurt on a Van Gogh painting disappeared from the public eye: https://www.staedelmuseum.de/en/podcast-finding-van-gogh

And check out the collection of the Städel digitally if you like. Some great stuff in there.

notamermaid

• Like 1