Non-refundable Deposits

Rachelsmemom

That's how I generally look at it.  Risk vs Reward.   Remember you don't lose the entire deposit only $100 pp and the remainder is available as FCC.   I generally book onboard with $100 pp deposits so I'm very willing to risk $200 for a savings of $500 or more.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe if you book under Cruise with Confidence before 11/30 and you cancel they don't take the $100 pp penalty and you get the entire deposit as FCC.  Fine if you are planning on sailing again.

52 minutes ago, Rachelsmemom said:

It’s not that small. I can spend $2650 for a 7 day cruise for 2 and risk losing $900 deposit or I can spend $4050 for the same cruise/cabin. That’s a big difference. 

Not sure I understand.  With a full $900 deposit only $100 is a penalty if YOU cancel.  No penalty if Celebrity cancels.  The differences in prices for cabins and deposits vary almost weekly.

We had 2 cruises booked with NRD’s.  We cancelled 1 and got the entire $900 as a FCC. under CWC.  X cancelled the other and we got a refund of the $900. 

The savings were +/-$1000 savings with the same perks.  We would book another NRD under those conditions in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

I canceled a cruise for 12/2020 and rebooked with my $900 deposit credited to my replacement cruise for 12/2021. I can’t wait that long and I am considering a cruise in April. I thought the cost disparity was significant. If I don’t lose that much maybe it’s worth booking. 

I would avoid any those un-refundable matters. As a Customer I shall always have a right to demand my money back for a service that I didn't even receive. I really hope that I wont have to deal with such things in the future. Its very frustrating 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

really hope that I wont have to deal with such things in the future. Its very frustrating 

Ditto.

I cancelled our cruise in April due to Celebrity then requiring a ‘Fit to Sail’ Doctors letter for the over 70’s.

Even though the Cruise company had changed their T&C since we had booked, I was told that my booking was not eligible for a refund, only a FCC.

We have never been issued with the FCC, so eventually I contacted the Credit Card company, who are contacting the cruise company and the TA.

So far we’ve heard nothing. 

I’m obviously not another cruise any time soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I would avoid any those un-refundable matters. As a Customer I shall always have a right to demand my money back for a service that I didn't even receive. I really hope that I wont have to deal with such things in the future. Its very frustrating 

Except in the UK (and probably some other countries) it’s your choice whether to go NRD or not.  I like being given the choice especially if the savings by going NRD are substantial.  As others have mentioned you only lose $100 by canceling with the balance going to FCC.  

5 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

You never lose the whole deposit, only $100.00  per person. Only you can justify if the price difference is enough to possibly lose that money.

Agree, if people dont like them do not use them.  Personally I would only be able to use it if I can book it close in and definitely know I can have the time off for the cruise.  With my work schedule safer for me to do Refundable and look for great deals along the way.  There a great option with some of the savings in there I have seen in the past but I cant partake in that gamble at this point.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I agree.  It took me over 3 months and countless phone calls in order to have my FCC applied to my account.  Each time I called they said they understood and would take care of it but.. I also had a huge fight on my hands with an airline for flights that they canceled and then made it extremely difficult to get my money refunded. I prefer to avoid anything non-refundable these days.

26 minutes ago, HappyHappy1! said:

I only have a problem not getting a Refund when Celebrity Cruise line cancels the cruise.   

we should not be penalized if the ship doesn’t sail and/or all ports are closed.

If Celebrity cancels a cruise, there is no problem receiving a refund, although sometimes it takes a bit of time.

18 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's how I generally look at it.  Risk vs Reward.   Remember you don't lose the entire deposit only $100 pp and the remainder is available as FCC.   I generally book onboard with $100 pp deposits so I'm very willing to risk $200 for a savings of $500 or more.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe if you book under Cruise with Confidence before 11/30 and you cancel they don't take the $100 pp penalty and you get the entire deposit as FCC.  Fine if you are planning on sailing again.

This is true under CC terms....no penalty booked before 11/30.

On 10/11/2020 at 6:37 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not sure I understand.  With a full $900 deposit only $100 is a penalty if YOU cancel.  No penalty if Celebrity cancels.  The differences in prices for cabins and deposits vary almost weekly.

I found that when Celebrity Cancelled my NRD they gave me a 125% FCC for the deposit.   No biggie I'm sure I will use it once they resume unrestricted sailings.

• Thanks 1

On Oct 6th Celebrity cancelled all Japan sailings on the Millennium and we received our entire $900 deposit 10/13.  This was a non-refundable deposit and the second time Celebrity has refunded our entire deposit.  During this pandemic, Celebrity has been great concerning deposits.  Booking a refundable deposit does not make sense as of late.

Enjoy,

Kel😀

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Read the fine print; you only get a year from the time you booked your cruise to use the non returnable deposit. So if I booked with non refundable deposit in June for the following March; and cancel; I lose $100 pp plus must use the remaining amount by next June.  

@burrma  I understand the NRD T&C completely, including the new changes after March 2023 where NRD deposits are completely lost on cancellation.    If you do have one still with partial FCC you have a year from when the FCC is issued to apply it to another sailing, not a year from the original deposit.  Additionally the new sailing can be further out than the 1 year.  The caveat is if you then cancel after the expiration of the FCC the entire FCC value is lost.