Azura Latest News

joeecco

8 hours ago, davemorton said:

I didnt think Newcastle could take ships that big?  Of am I thinking of Shields? 

It is at Royal Quays North Shields cruise terminal.

The River Tyne is wide here and the ships do a 180° turn ready to sail out.

It is only about 1 mile to the North Sea.

• Like 1

My Mum did a tour of the Holland America Nieuw Statendam when it was docked in Newcastle. That ship is the same size if not larger than Azura. 

I live between Bournemouth and Southampton so it’s been nice seeing the ships off Bournemouth Bay and then driving to see them docked in Southampton! 

Fingers crossed this means we are getting closer to a return to service. I was due to be on the Azura over Christmas, fingers crossed we will be next Christmas!

I'm so disappointed at not being able to go and see her. It's just too far with the current restrictions. It would also mean a two way trip through the Tyne Tunnel with cameras catching your registration. It would though have been a good ride out for the car. Hopefully she will still be there when restrictions add eased. We should have been on her for the first time last year.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Glitterati said:

My Mum did a tour of the Holland America Nieuw Statendam when it was docked in Newcastle. That ship is the same size if not larger than Azura...

Yes, they are similar. Nieuw Statendam is a smidgeon longer and a smidgeon wider but has less decks. Azura is around 15,000 tons heavier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

If todays newspapers are correct that the restrictions will start to be eased in late February then you should get a chance to see her in March.

There they go again, promising something over which they do not have complete control and the press make it even worse  as people read the reports as a certainty 😠

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, davecttr said:

There they go again, promising something over which they do not have complete control and the press make it even worse  as people read the reports as a certainty 😠

What is wrong with the govt, or anyone talking positively, and why is it a serious crime if the forecast proves inaccurate.

As a Huddersfield Town fan that's all we ever do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What is wrong with the govt, or anyone talking positively, and why is it a serious crime if the forecast proves inaccurate.

The trouble is, by giving over optimistic promises all the time which don’t come true ( we’ll lick this virus in 12 weeks, it’ll be over by Christmas, etc, etc) it erodes trust in government.

some may be happy with comforting untruths, but I prefer a government which manages expectations in a realistic way.

Therefore I’m taking no notice of the latest government promises about the vaccine and the lifting of lockdown.

it’ll happen when it happens, I’m not going to get over excited by any promise emanating from this government 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The trouble is, by giving over optimistic promises all the time which don’t come true ( we’ll lick this virus in 12 weeks, it’ll be over by Christmas, etc, etc) it erodes trust in government.

some may be happy with comforting untruths, but I prefer a government which manages expectations in a realistic way.

Therefore I’m taking no notice of the latest government promises about the vaccine and the lifting of lockdown.

it’ll happen when it happens, I’m not going to get over excited by any promise emanating from this government 

This is where they can't really win (and I'm no fan of the government).

People demand a timeline. They're wary as no one knows, without a crystal ball. People keep demanding and so they give a timeline. Rough timeline turns out to be wrong (for whatever reason, new variant, interruption to vaccine supply etc) and people then say, well they shouldn't have given a timeline if they didn't know. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We were trying to forecast the next 3 months at work on Friday... Impossible...

You can only try to be positive and hope. 

Andy 

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don't suggest you need to get excited, but for me there is absolutely nothing wrong with being positive, and if it proves wrong there is really no need for recriminations.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't suggest you need to get excited, but for me there is absolutely nothing wrong with being positive, and if it proves wrong there is really no need for recriminations.

So the government can keep on saying comforting sound bites, which if they don’t come true, we move on to the next comforting sound bite, without holding them to account for their previous failed soundbite. 🤔

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

This is where they can't really win (and I'm no fan of the government).

People demand a timeline. They're wary as no one knows, without a crystal ball. People keep demanding and so they give a timeline. Rough timeline turns out to be wrong (for whatever reason, new variant, interruption to vaccine supply etc) and people then say, well they shouldn't have given a timeline if they didn't know. 

If they  don’t know, I’d prefer them to say that. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, molecrochip said:

If todays newspapers are correct that the restrictions will start to be eased in late February then you should get a chance to see her in March.

Yesterday the Port of Tyne website has her moored at North Shields until 31st January. Wandered down to check her out today. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We were trying to forecast the next 3 months at work on Friday... Impossible...

You can only try to be positive and hope. 

Andy 

I had to do a 5 year strategic plan. To be honest, I wrote a load of bo****ks, knowing that I, or anyone else reading the report,  would not be around in 5 years time.

Having said that, I feel for you in your situation. Planning ahead in normal times is difficult enough.  These days it's just impossible. 

The good news is that there is a whole load of money out there, waiting to be spent, due to people not being able to spend during the various lock downs.

We're going to buy a new carpet as soon  as our local store reopens- normally we would have waited another year or two, but for some reason, there seems to be an increase in red wine stains on our living room carpet over the past year. No idea why that happened!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Yesterday the Port of Tyne website has her moored at North Shields until 31st January. Wandered down to check her out today. 

Does that mean you live North of the Tyne?  My husband's Dad came from South Shields (well a mining village nearby to be accurate) and had told DH that he locals there were known as sandancers. 🙂

2 minutes ago, tring said:

Does that mean you live North of the Tyne?  My husband's Dad came from South Shields (well a mining village nearby to be accurate) and had told DH that he locals there were known as sandancers. 🙂

Not North of the Tyne. You can only be a Sandancer if you live on the South side of the Tyne. So yes, that’s where my screen name comes from. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sandancer said:

Not North of the Tyne. You can only be a Sandancer if you live on the South side of the Tyne. So yes, that’s where my screen name comes from. 

Can you see her from South Shields if so from what point. I think the video Graham took last year of Oceana was from S Shields. If she's only there until the end of January, I doubt I will get to see her.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emam said:

Can you see her from South Shields if so from what point. I think the video Graham took last year of Oceana was from S Shields. If she's only there until the end of January, I doubt I will get to see her.

The current plan is for her to remain throughout February.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The current plan is for her to remain throughout February.

Port of Tyne has her leaving on 31st January @ 23.59. I’ll check on 1st Feb to see if she’s still there. That seems a very strange departure time but not being any kind of maritime expert I can only report on what I’m seeing.