3 more cruise lines cancel December sailings

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

NCL, Oceania and Regent just cancelled all December sailings.  Likely RCI will follow. 

Just a FYI, they are all the same company, NCL Holdings (just like RCI, Celebrity, and Azamara are all part of RCG)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

Just a FYI, they are all the same company, NCL Holdings (just like RCI, Celebrity, and Azamara are all part of RCG)

Yes, that’s correct.  The lines under the holding companies don’t always work in tandem though, I.e. X and RCI aren’t always on the same page. 

• Like 5

SilverSea cancelled most of their December sailings a couple of weeks ago.   

I think NCLH deliberately put their fleets into deeper cold storage as an emergency means to conserve cash.  That could explain why things over at NCLH are more consistent across the brands.  

We saw the writing on the wall and L&S'd our December cruises a couple months ago to 2021.

Now, I'm afraid our March cruise is going to bite the dust. Actually, I'm sure it will because we're going to wait till everything is lifted (mask requirements etc....). The vaccinations and cures can't get here fast enough....  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Does anyone think cruiselines - any of them - can get a ship ready to cruise from the US with the CDC guidelines - not regulations yet!  Just getting crew to the ships will be very difficult and time consuming.  

It was mentioned before it would take 30-60 days just to convert a ship from layup to operational.  This does not include the logistics of applying for the Conditional Sailing Certificate which could possibly be done in tandem but could cause further delays.  IMHO, by this Spring we should see the beginning of phased in passenger sailings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

We saw the writing on the wall and L&S'd our December cruises a couple months ago to 2021.

Now, I'm afraid our March cruise is going to bite the dust. Actually, I'm sure it will because we're going to wait till everything is lifted (mask requirements etc....). The vaccinations and cures can't get here fast enough....  🙂

I think you may be waiting for a long time for everything to be lifted. Every vaccination currently under development is not going to eradicate this virus. It will be a lot similar to the flu vaccine than a cure vaccine. Protocols like wearing masks and social distancing will be around for a least a few more years, and especially on cruise ships to keep the CDC happy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

NCL, Oceania and Regent just cancelled all December sailings.  Likely RCI will follow. 

Yup around 4 pm I received a text from RCL that my December cruise is cancelled.     I have never received a text from them before today.    Something new - I liked it.    I, also, got an email.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

I think NCLH deliberately put their fleets into deeper cold storage as an emergency means to conserve cash

There was never a "cold" for NCL ships.  They were all reduced to minimum statutory manning to maintain their class certificate.  To do any different would have required significant time investment to seal up the ships and then "unseal" them to prepare for sailing and they would have to re-certify.

Honestly, it makes sense to reduce to minimum manning.  Why have more people on board than are needed to keep the systems operational?

They had a couple that received work in shipyards - Breakaway and Getaway got scrubbers installed, I think Joy did a short drydock (not sure what for as she was in during conversion from sailing Asia to the US in 2019).

2 hours ago, hallux said:

There was never a "cold" for NCL ships.

Confused.  Thought this was a valid company investor website.   My apologies.

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/

May 14, 2020

COVID-19 Action Plan

• Meaningfully reducing cruise operating expense which includes reducing expenses associated with crew payroll, food, fuel, insurance and port charges. The majority of ships in the Company’s fleet are currently transitioning to cold layup.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Confused.  Thought this was a valid company investor website.   My apologies.

Check the fleet on Marinetraffic.com - if they were in cold layup their positions wouldn't be reported, or they would have been stationary for a while.  For a "cold layup" they effectively mothball the ship, or prepare it for long-term storage and reduce staffing to less than minimum statutory manning.

Here's a thread tracking NCL ship movements - 

It would take quite some time to move a ship from cold layup to moving.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Check the fleet on Marinetraffic.com - if they were in cold layup their positions wouldn't be reported, or they would have been stationary for a while.  For a "cold layup" they effectively mothball the ship, or prepare it for long-term storage and reduce staffing to less than minimum statutory manning.

Here's a thread tracking NCL ship movements - 

It would take quite some time to move a ship from cold layup to moving.

I'm not a marine engineer so cold vs. not so cold or all the shades of from cold to warm is lost on me.  Odd they would mislead their investors.   That can't be a good thing.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I'm not a marine engineer so cold vs. not so cold or all the shades of from cold to warm is lost on me.  Odd they would mislead their investors.   That can't be a good thing.  

I though the exact same thing, ambiguous reporting on an investors report is very concerning. 

On 11/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think you may be waiting for a long time for everything to be lifted. Every vaccination currently under development is not going to eradicate this virus. It will be a lot similar to the flu vaccine than a cure vaccine. Protocols like wearing masks and social distancing will be around for a least a few more years, and especially on cruise ships to keep the CDC happy. 

If having wearing a mask on board is around for a few more years for cruising, then it will be a few more years before I cruise.

I love cruising but I just can't see the enjoyment in it with a mask mandate on a ship... I guess we'd just have to find alternative vacation options. Also it's just to hard (impossible) to social distance on a ship (IMO)

T

• Like 1