1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

3 minutes ago, mek said:

It's unfortunate this happened because I believe it will negatively impact the start up dates in North America.  

Right or wrong, cruising is viewed as a super spreader and this unsuccessful cruise will only give more ammunition to those who believe we should be locking down again. I think the no sail order will be extended until at least February - then it will keep being revised month by month until we have a vaccine.

I think so as well.  My hope is that the cruise lines can remain in business with prolonged, additional delays.  

Basically whoever came in close contact with that group of 5 is high risk of testing positive.   As evident by the fact another couple tested positive days after the first.   

Contact tracing on a ship that small isnt really needed but on larger ships such as oasis class they will definitely need it. 

I'm still surprised and impressed that msc, tui and costa continue to sail with no incidents. 

If only they wore masks to prevent the spread!!

IMO they should have not been allowed to fly home.   Think of them sitting in airport lounge getting food and drink with no mask on!!   Uggghh!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Basically whoever came in close contact with that group of 5 is high risk of testing positive.   As evident by the fact another couple tested positive days after the first.   

Contact tracing on a ship that small isnt really needed but on larger ships such as oasis class they will definitely need it. 

I'm still surprised and impressed that msc, tui and costa continue to sail with no incidents. 

IMO they should have not been allowed to fly home.   Think of them sitting in airport lounge getting food and drink with no mask on!!   Uggghh!!!

Honestly, I'm not sure what I think about the European cruises that have been sailing successfully.  It's hard to believe just wearing a mask has 100% prevented any incidents.  Don't get me wrong, I believe in masks - I simply don't think they're that effective.  (I know passengers are also social distancing.)

Maybe Europeans are more willing to comply with protocols than I think a good number of Americans will be.  All you have to do is read one of the " I will get around having to wear a mask by always having a drink in my hand" posts to know there will be folks looking for ways to bend the rules.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mek said:

Maybe Europeans are more willing to comply with protocols than I think a good number of Americans will be.  All you have to do is read one of the " I will get around having to wear a mask by always having a drink in my hand" posts to know there will be folks looking for ways to bend the rules.

Yes, one member of our family/traveling foursome is like that...thinks he's pulled something over on "the man" by claiming he has a breathing medical problem and can't wear a mask to walk through a restaurant or go into a store...all because it is an inconvenience to him.  He's also an anti-vaxxer.  We have a Nov 2021 cruise scheduled together & it'll be interesting to see how it all goes.....we have not visited with him because we are seniors trying to stay healthy.....we wear masks and socially distance....and will get vaccinated once it is proven safe & effective........It's a problem for us, and I know we're not the only ones in this boat!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Masks are not worn at the dining rooms and bars on the ship. This would be the most likely point of spread. Probably in the case of Sea Deam masks would have made no difference anyway.

Why? Because these folk should all be in 2 week quarantine *before* they fly home, not after. If you're suspected to have been in contact you shouldn't fly. I think flying is still fairly safe as long as everyone stays masked but just like your local supermarket and store probably has on their signs... if you've been in contact with a confirmed case... go back home!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

I had read on previous reviews by MSC and Costa Cruisers that you are Not permitted to walk around "drinking" any type of beverage to prevent exactly that type of attitude/behavior from happening.    I think it may have even been mentioned in the Healthy Sail panel, not sure as I read too much info to remember exactly where I read it.

42 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Why?   Everyone says flying is safe, there have only been a couple of Covid cases linked to air travel.  They say the air flows downward and that would take the virus away from you.

Yes, I agree that flying is safe once you are on the plane and everyone is seated wearing their masks.    But there is airport lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. in the airport that you do not have to wear a mask while sitting there.      That is where the problem lies as the sea dream passengers could very well have the virus and not know it and since they all had to make last minute travel plans I am sure a bulk of these travelers were sitting in the airport having meals and drinks with no masks on.   

We all know the point guy has access to the centurion lounge, etc.      As they all had "time to kill" since they made last minute flight plans I bet they were all enjoying time in the lounges.   And there goes the high likely hood of spreading the virus to unknown travelers.    Some of them may have gone to hotels for lay overs, etc. etc. 

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I agree that flying is safe once you are on the plane and everyone is seated wearing their masks.    But there is airport lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. in the airport that you do not have to wear a mask while sitting there.      That is where the problem lies as the sea dream passengers could very well have the virus and not know it and since they all had to make last minute travel plans I am sure a bulk of these travelers were sitting in the airport having meals and drinks with no masks on.   

We all know the point guy has access to the centurion lounge, etc.      As they all had "time to kill" since they made last minute flight plans I bet they were all enjoying time in the lounges.   And there goes the high likely hood of spreading the virus to unknown travelers.    Some of them may have gone to hotels for lay overs, etc. etc. 

Frankly, I don't believe all of the statements that aircraft travel is safe.  Sure the bars at the airport are bad but at least you have social distancing in the bars.  That same person that might have infected you in the bar is now sitting next to elbow and their mask may be off for quite a while when the drink or eat on the aircraft.  No thanks, I'll stay away from planes if I can't social distance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Frankly, I don't believe all of the statements that aircraft travel is safe.  Sure the bars at the airport are bad but at least you have social distancing in the bars.  That same person that might have infected you in the bar is now sitting next to elbow and their mask may be off for quite a while when the drink or eat on the aircraft.  No thanks, I'll stay away from planes if I can't social distance.

I know a lot of people who have flown in the last six months and none have gotten sick.  My oldest DS had to travel to CA for work a few months ago and the plane was more than half full.  No problem and he'll be going back as soon as something at work happens (event that's planned but hasn't happened yet) that requires it..  We have friends who have flown to Mexico (two separate couples) and DR and other family and friends who have flown several times.  We also have two friends who are commercial pilots.  Not one has been sick.  All wear masks as required.  There are also multiple FA's and pilots on YT and none that I have seen have reported any cases amongst themselves from flying.

6 hours ago, hernando52 said:

Yes, one member of our family/traveling foursome is like that...thinks he's pulled something over on "the man" by claiming he has a breathing medical problem and can't wear a mask to walk through a restaurant or go into a store...all because it is an inconvenience to him.  

I can't blame him because Florida has not made mask wearing mandatory.  We refuse service in NY because I'm not risking my health and the company I work for doesn't want to risk being fined. We have audits from the state all of the time because we sell age restricted products like beer.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can't blame him because Florida has not made mask wearing mandatory.  We refuse service in NY because I'm not risking my health and the company I work for doesn't want to risk being fined. We have audits from the state all of the time because we sell age restricted products like beer.

He's in SC and just on the bandwagon about it is against his constitutional rights (calls us sheep).....it gets old after a while.  We're in FL & went to an indoor live play this afternoon...anyone over the age of 60 was masked up, but the younger folks weren't wearing them....we were socially distanced from everyone.  I'll continue to wear a mask until there is a vaccination...and hope that no one else I know gets the virus

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Florida is fine. One needs to be responsible for themselves. 

M8

6 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Masks are not worn at the dining rooms and bars on the ship. This would be the most likely point of spread. Probably in the case of Sea Deam masks would have made no difference anyway.

They weren't social distancing either.  Nobody wears a mask in a restaurant at home unless you are up and walking around but the tables are distanced and there is plexiglass between every 2 seats at the bar.

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Sounded like your opinion to me. Are you not the one who always wants a source?

We wear our mask and are responsible for us. 

M8

Sorry but I don't want some stanger breathing directly on me while they are standing up my A$$ in a check out line because they don't wear a mask or social distance. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sorry but I don't want some stanger breathing directly on me while they are standing up my A$$ in a check out line because they don't wear a mask or social distance. 

That’s different and I wouldn’t either. Every business here (Florida) is free to require masks. Many restaurants require them until you are seated. Most everyone I see is wearing a mask while shopping here. There are exceptions and we avoid those that do not wear them.  If they are not going to wear them in NYC, certainly they wouldn’t wear them in Florida. 

You can’t lockdown everything for a few. Be responsible for yourself. 

M8

31 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You can’t lockdown everything for a few. Be responsible for yourself. 

While a mask does provide some protection to the wearer, its primary purpose is to minimize the wearer’s exhaled virus being inflicted on others. So how do you propose being responsible for yourself in the all too frequent scenario described by Iamcruzin? Businesses frown on me walking out without paying🙄, so what other suggestions do you have?