90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

48 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Death rates is the only non biased way to compare apples to apples in this arena, and the best way to determine what policies are having the biggest impact. Percentage of population lost is completely irrelevant. 

Did you do their "math"?  How exactly is 0.1% of 328 million 330K and 0.1% of 66.6 million is 660K?   We'll see if they can answer that.

Just now, BND said:

Did you do their "math"?  How exactly is 0.1% of 328 million 330K and 0.1% of 66.6 million is 660K?   We'll see if they can answer that.

Yeah, I wasn’t even going to dignify the math, simply because the premise behind it was flawed, but you are right; I suppose they haven’t reached the point in school where they focus on big numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I have no idea why Africa is handling it so well.

Significant parts of Africa lack the healthcare infrastructure to diagnose, let alone test for covid-19.  Couple that with a climate that encourages open air living. Top it off with a young population very familiar with handling the devastation of AIDS and Ebola.

3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

In the UK the government is considering not vaccinating under 50's, with no underlying health problems. Do you know if the US is considering something similar?

I think they had stepped back from that now and will at some point at least offer it to people under 50. Considering it will be needed for international flights, probably cruising and entry to many countries likely including the U.S and Australia for a while at least. They have ordered 100 million of that Astra Zeneca garbage sorry vaccine typo error but it is 25% less effective then Pfizer and Moderna so hardly worth having is it?. Now that decision may change if the Astra Zeneca vaccine is not approved.

3 hours ago, BND said:

And, yet, you ignore parts of my posts because you know they're correct.  As for death rates, deaths per million is how they are reporting it.  Tell me how you did that math.

I am sure they are correct. But I don't believe our death figures are accurate at all. Our figures are "deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive covid 19 test".  How do we know those people died from it just because they had it at some point in the last 28 days. I am not sure a post mortem as we call them in the UK is being conducted in every case. It if is fine  accepted but if not then they are writing whatever they want on these death certificates. How do you determine your deaths? By autopsy as you call it? Have all those 288k now died  in hospital?. I do believe you figures are accurate because the way America is the insurance will want to know everything that is going on.

Edited by ace2542

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I am sure they are correct. But I don't believe our death figures are accurate at all. Our figures are "deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive covid 19 test".  How do we know those people died from it just because they had it at some point in the last 28 days. I am not sure a post mortem as we call them in the UK is being conducted in every case. How do you determine your deaths? By autopsy as you call it? Have all those 288k now died  in hospital?. I do believe you figures are accurate because the way America is the insurance will want to know everything that is going on.

That's been an issue here.  When you see a report, it's died "with Covid", not "from Covid".  Numbers will be adjusted at some point in the future.  Probably after people have forgotten how this has all been reported.  Most of those over 80 or in nursing homes who died with Covid/tested positive and may have had symptoms also had other co-morbidities that were a factor, if not the cause of their deaths.  

Still, you do not address your "math". 

Edited by BND

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You can't talk your way out of this with death rates. Besides you have lost more % of your population than we have. When it gets to 330k deaths you have lost 0.1 percent of your population. When we get to 670k deaths we have 0.1 of ours. I wonder who will get their first. Though it is not a competition. You will lose more than us.

You failed basic math.

US population 330 million

UK population 67 million

one tenth of 1% of the US population is 330,000

1% of the UK population is 670,000.

you are out by a factor of 10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BND said:

That's been an issue here.  When you see a report, it's died "with Covid", not "from Covid".  Numbers will be adjusted at some point in the future.  Probably after people have forgotten how this has all been reported.  Most of those over 80 or in nursing homes who died with Covid/tested positive and may have had symptoms also had other co-morbidities that were a factor, if not the cause of their deaths.  

There should be a post mortem for every death to ensure public safety.

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You failed basic math.

UK population 67 million

Thanks

Don’t understand why the beat down on the US. I love my country and fought for her and wouldn’t trade it for any other.  

M8

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You failed basic math.

UK population 67 million

We do the decimal point differently in UK. 1% to me would be 3.3 million 0.1% would be 330,000

21 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We do the decimal point differently in UK. 1% to me would be 3.3 million 0.1% would be 330,000

It doesn’t matter.  You said .1 for both the UK and for the US.  Your numbers are wrong. 

.1 of the UK population is 67k not 670k

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You can't talk your way out of this with death rates. Besides you have lost more % of your population than we have. When it gets to 330k deaths you have lost 0.1 percent of your population. When we get to 670k deaths we have 0.1 of ours. I wonder who will get their first. Though it is not a competition. You will lose more than us.

Already been corrected the 1% is actually .1 so wont add to that. But reported cases US at 47,589 of every 1million people with UK at 25,965. Death rate per Million US 893 with UK at 920. Sad all around, everywhere for everyone

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I am sure they are correct. But I don't believe our death figures are accurate at all. Our figures are "deaths for any reason within 28 days of a positive covid 19 test".  How do we know those people died from it just because they had it at some point in the last 28 days. I am not sure a post mortem as we call them in the UK is being conducted in every case. It if is fine  accepted but if not then they are writing whatever they want on these death certificates. How do you determine your deaths? By autopsy as you call it? Have all those 288k now died  in hospital?. I do believe you figures are accurate because the way America is the insurance will want to know everything that is going on.

Bless your heart

24 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I think math is kind of universal...and the same everywhere. :classic_rolleyes:

We really do need a thread on how to use % sign and decimal points. This is the 2nd or 3rd time in the past week we've run into this.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

We really do need a thread on how to use & sign and decimal points. This is the 2nd or 3rd time in the past week we've run into this.

Yeah, but here even using the same (0.1%) they got one correct answer and one incorrect one.  So, it's more than the decimal point lol.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

We really do need a thread on how to use & sign and decimal points. This is the 2nd or 3rd time in the past week we've run into this.

I shouldn't talk. When I was much younger, I was calling Aruba to reserve the KukuKanuku bus. She said that our ship wasn't listed in port on the date I wanted to reserve. And stupidly, I replied, "Oh, do you use a different calendar there?" :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: 

• Haha 1