Need advice: Do we book July 4, 2021 week or do we wait?

LongHill44

We were going to cruise last year but covid put the breaks on that.  We would really love to cruise this coming July 4th week as all 3 kids will be home from college. 

Do you think there is any chance they will be cruising by then?

Any if so, we can assume masks and safe distancing will still be in place?

Thanks for any input.

For me only

I would book it. I would plan on the cruise taking place. I would also be prepared for an alternative.

I'm making plans as if we're going to Europe.

If the cruise is cancelled AND the EU won't let us in,,, that's one situation I've planned for.

If the cruise is cancelled BUT the EU let's us in,,, we're still going. Just have to make adjustments.

Imo prices are especially high on cruiselines like carnival who offered obc for cancelled cruises. I'm booked sept and really hopeful prices will drop

Just be aware you are competing for prices against others who are willing to pay more to get $600 obc.

Rcl has had kids (under 12) sail free going on forever on most dates. I'm hoping for better solo prices from them too.

Prices could drop when cruising restarts, hard to tell but with all the incentives so far prices seem high to me. No bargains right now imo. No rush to book.

We are booked on the Panorama that week and are hopeful that it will actually sail. As the poster above said- with the vaccine coming out within the next month, i think by the end of spring cruises will be sailing. I am not sure about masks. If the vaccine is 90-100% effective, I am not sure what the need would be for every one. I would not be surprised that the cruise lines to require proof of vaccine at some point.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, LongHill44 said:

We were going to cruise last year but covid put the breaks on that.  We would really love to cruise this coming July 4th week as all 3 kids will be home from college. 

Thanks for any input.

Don't do it now.

Wait until after the first of the year and see where we stand.

July 4th is a popular week to cruise. If you have a preference for cabin and location you should consider booking now. Keep in mind capacity controls may limit the available cabins on the ship, and I'd assume the less expensive interior cabins would be held back from sale. I think it would be nice to have the whole family together.

Even if 25~50% of the population is vaccinated by that time this very complex virus will still be in the wild. The RNA chain of this virus is 30,000 triplets long whereas SARS1 is 3,000, and HIV is only 900 triplets long. The protocols of frequent 20 second hand washing, effective masks (no gaiters or bandanas), social distancing, frequent temperature checks, rapid testing, and HEPA filters in air handler systems will still be required. 

Right now the world is seeing a second wave of the virus, and history tells us this has happened in every pandemic for the past 250 years. After the second wave dies down, viruses seem to mutate and become much less infectious and less deadly. 

July 4th I am finishing a cruise in Australia, and I won't let the necessary precautions stop me from enjoying my 3 weeks on a bowling alley balcony. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Book it, it will happen.

Can you guarantee that? Before this pandemic I had double digit cruises booked. Earlier this year I was chastised by several posters on this board when I said cruises this Summer wouldn’t happen. However, I was optimistic my cruise in October would still happen, which obviously didn’t happen, along with every other cruise I had booked this year. Now based on everything I have read and heard, I am not too optimistic about any of my 2021 bookings sailing. The one thing that could change this is an effective vaccine being released. I know their is a lot of excitement about Pfizer’s vaccine, but it is still a BIG step from positive test results to the approval and delivery of a vaccine that produces similar results as limited testing has shown so far. Hopefully this vaccine will be the game changer that literally the whole word has been waiting for. 

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Can you guarantee that? Before this pandemic I had double digit cruises booked. Earlier this year I was chastised by several posters on this board when I said cruises this Summer wouldn’t happen. However, I was optimistic my cruise in October would still happen, which obviously didn’t happen, along with every other cruise I had booked this year. Now based on everything I have read and heard, I am not too optimistic about any of my 2021 bookings sailing. The one thing that could change this is an effective vaccine being released. I know their is a lot of excitement about Pfizer’s vaccine, but it is still a BIG step from positive test results to the approval and delivery of a vaccine that produces similar results as limited testing has shown so far. Hopefully this vaccine will be the game changer that literally the whole word has been waiting for. 

Not sure my guarantee will carry a lot of weight or means all that much.  If we are not cruising by July, the world will be a different place than we all know.   I am not ready to accept any of that.  Vaccines will be available and it will be 18 months since this all blew up.  All that the president elect guaranteed it also...he has a plan, we are saved. 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 9:52 PM, tytanbri said:

I am not sure about masks. If the vaccine is 90-100% effective, I am not sure what the need would be for every one. I would not be surprised that the cruise lines to require proof of vaccine at some point.

I'm thinking the proof of vaccination is getting less likely because I'd think by now we would have probably heard about their intent to issue some sort of official proof of vaccination card or something by now. Otherwise, how would you be able to prove it? It would require whoever is giving the vaccination to verify your identity so the card would have your name on it and not be transferable to your friend who is going on a cruise. And it would have to be high tech enough to not be easily forged.

It seems like it's a big enough undertaking that plans wold have to be well underway by now since vaccines may start being given within a few weeks.

I see the mask issue being a problem after a vaccine, not just on cruises but everywhere. People vaccinated with a 90% effective vaccine are understandably going to resist having to wear a mask, thinking they aren't a threat. (Does that other 10% present much of a threat to others though? I don't know.) It's not practical to check every person every place even if a vaccine card does exist. And the vaccinated are going to say "Why do I need to keep wearing a mask just because some dumb-asses refuse to get their shot? If they won't even take care of themselves, why should I be responsible for taking care of them?"

I'm cautiously optimistic my November 2021 cruise will happen. I think that with the breakthrough news on the Pfizer vaccine, they will begin distributing it early in the year to health care providers, then nursing homes, then at-risk individuals. Being younger and having no-risk factors, I'm thinking I may be eligible for the vaccine by March? Then, you need a booster a month later- April? Then allow a few months for the cruise industry to figure out the logistics of how this will all work: proof of vaccination, getting ships/employees ready to sail again, etc. Of course, this is a guessing game and just my opinion, but it'll take a little more time. Within a year, I think is a safe bet 🙂 

• Like 1

My opinion....book.  You never know the future....and you only "think" the kids will be home from college.  They may be doing some remote learning or some catch-up learning.

Keep in mind, there's a high likelihood that the cruise won't happen....and don't give them more money than you can afford to lose.

The only thing I can say for sure is that if you don't book it...with 100% confidence you won't be sailing.

@Earthworm Jim  You hit the nail on the head.  Those who have had SARS 1 are immune from SARS2 and are still protected 17 years later.  The science.  I have a printed document that says I am COVID positive, and I have since recovered.  I suspect I will end up in jai in the future as I feel strongly about this because the science says I have no reason to wear a mask to prevent COVID.    The whole thing is a scam and all about control.  I have been asking for months on SM about how this gets unwound.  At what point do airlines no longer require masks?  It's all BS.  I think once the vaccine is out people are going to say screw it and I will be first in line for a fake ID.  I had one as a teen, sadly as a grown-ass man I need one again.  Hopefully they will be distracted by trying to take our AR-15s away they'll forget about a vaccine certificate....🤮

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, LongHill44 said:

Thanks for any input.

If you want to sail on July 4th. Why not book? I see no reason what so ever not to.

• Like 1