Will RCL/Cruise Lines get to choose the vaccine they require to allow you to sail?

ace2542

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I acknowledge what you are saying about young people and anyone of any age can die of any illness.

The difference with Covid19 is it is the first disease to halt cruising for 9 months and potentially 1 year plus and cause lockdowns all around the world.

It can cause no symptoms or kill you.

I have had covid19 for 16 days being fairly seriously ill and stuck in bed for 16 days.

To reply to the thread question I think that any vaccine which has been approved for use will be acceptable to the cruise line and it is up to the cruiseline in association with the CDC to insist on everyone having proof of having the vaccine.

Graham

No vaccine no sail is the future. So ome question how would that proof be shown?  The so called yellow card or this new iphone app being developed in Germany. Or something on paper which could be forged as paper would be near impossible to confirm?. I will tell you one thing.T here is now way in hell anyone is sticking a needle from me to test for vaccine presence or antibodies or whatever. Not a chance in hell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

No vaccine no sail is the future. So ome question how would that proof be shown?  The so called yellow card or this new iphone app being developed in Germany. Or something on paper which could be forged as paper would be near impossible to confirm?. I will tell you one thing.T here is now way in hell anyone is sticking a needle from me to test for vaccine presence or antibodies or whatever. Not a chance in hell.

Who said they're going to test you for antibodies?  Also, you need to read up on the vaccine concerning how long it will show up in your blood stream.  How do you prove you've had vaccines to visit certain countries? Such as yellow fever to visit parts of Africa? 

Edited by BND

29 minutes ago, BND said:

Who said they're going to test you for antibodies?  Also, you need to read up on the vaccine concerning how long it will show up in your blood stream.  How do you prove you've had vaccines to visit certain countries? Such as yellow fever to visit parts of Africa? 

I have no idea. I have NEVER been asked to show proof of vaccination for anything before. I have only visited Europe, USA/Canada and Russia.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I have no idea how it works in the UK, but most (of not all) states in the USA have vaccine databases that physicians must report vaccinations to. I can’t imagine the UK doesn’t have something similar since it is a single payer platform. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have no idea how it works in the UK, but most (of not all) states in the USA have vaccine databases that physicians must report vaccinations to. I can’t imagine the UK doesn’t have something similar since it is a single payer platform. 

I can't answer that question. But if it does I think it might be protected by so called european GDPR legislation which will not be opted out of by Brexit. I guess we will find out down the line won't we.

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not just anyone can access the medical information.  No way a cruiseline would be able to.  Other countries can't either.  Read the link I posted about proof of vaccines which has nothing to do with databases.

30 minutes ago, BND said:

Not just anyone can access the medical information.  No way a cruiseline would be able to.  Other countries can't either.  Read the link I posted about proof of vaccines which has nothing to do with databases.

I never insinuated a cruiseline accessing a medical database. I was replying to someone posting about fraudulent or counterfeit records. An official database could provide a verifiable record to an individual- kind of like the birth certificates some travel with instead of a passport. 

The Oxford Vaccine is reported to be at 70% effectiveness. A bit disappointing compared to the other two, but far cheaper and easier to store. 

This rises to 90% if given as half dose followed by full dose, rather than two full doses. 

BBC News - Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine shows 70% protection
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

Edited by sgmn
More info

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

The Oxford Vaccine is reported to be at 70% effectiveness. A bit disappointing compared to the other two, but far cheaper and easier to store. 

This rises to 90% if given as half dose followed by full dose, rather than two full doses. 

BBC News - Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine shows 70% protection
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

It is garbage it doesn't work.

I can see cruise lines rejecting it for sailing and countries for entry. People say they can't do that but we shall see. We will wear masks on sailings out of Southampton for the rest of our lives.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Is it better than the Chinese or Russian one?

I don't know but lets look at this way. The Anthem eastbound TA or the Harmony eastbound TA heavily promoted by UK cruise agencies with stays in NYC and Universal Orlando who claim to take 90% of the ship. So these sailings if we follow that statement are 90% english. So out of 6500 passengers, there are 5600 brits vaccinated with the Oxford vaccine. There could be still be a 30% chance of an outbreak onboard. That is 1680 who can still get infected. Masks for life on a cruise ship. 

31 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I don't know but lets look at this way. The Anthem eastbound TA or the Harmony eastbound TA heavily promoted by UK cruise agencies with stays in NYC and Universal Orlando who claim to take 90% of the ship. So these sailings if we follow that statement are 90% english. So out of 6500 passengers, there are 5600 brits vaccinated with the Oxford vaccine. There could be still be a 30% chance of an outbreak onboard. That is 1680 who can still get infected. Masks for life on a cruise ship. 

Don’t know where you are getting your information but those UK agencies certainly do not have 90% of the ship. It was quite easy to see that just by looking at the available cabins on the website and Royal never allows anything even close to that to be held by TA’s as group space. 

• Thanks 1

What!!!! A few months ago anything over 50% would be hailed as a success. The flu vaccine is only 45% effective. 

With tweaking it can be up to 90% effective and those few who did get covid none had it so badly they had to be hospitalised. 

This is hope for the world!!! 

11 minutes ago, sgmn said:

What!!!! A few months ago anything over 50% would be hailed as a success. The flu vaccine is only 45% effective. 

With tweaking it can be up to 90% effective and those few who did get covid none had it so badly they had to be hospitalised. 

This is hope for the world!!! 

Can be upto 90% effective but 70% for sure. The pfizer and moderna are saying it IS 95% effective end of story. 25% can be a big margin. Perhaps the press release have been misworded from Oxford. Though I don't think the American producers are lying it is more than they dare do.

I can see cruise lines rejecting it for sailing and countries for entry. People say they can't do that but we shall see. We will wear masks on sailings out of Southampton for the rest of our lives.

On what exactly are you basing that opinion?  

10 minutes ago, D C said:

On what exactly are you basing that opinion?  

70% ain't 100% and it ain't 95%. Perhaps the effectiveness has been explained incorrectly. But the vast of majority of UK population may have a vaccine which may leave a 30% risk of infection. I can't see ships sailing out of Southampton carrying passengers with a 30% risk of infection being unmasked.

And with the U.S having vaccines of 95% effectiveness are they going to allow entry to persons vaccinated with vaccine only 70% effectiveness? Will the CDC approve it? If they do not will U.S immigration allow persons into the country who have been vaccinated with it? I can't answer those questions. Only time will tell. It could cause a lot of problems in the world if they don't.

Edited by ace2542

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

70% ain't 100% and it ain't 95%. Perhaps the effectiveness has been explained incorrectly. But the vast of majority of UK population may have a vaccine which may leave a 30% risk of infection. I can't see ships sailing out of Southampton carrying passengers with a 30% risk of infection being unmasked.

And with the U.S having vaccines of 95% effectiveness are they going to allow entry to persons vaccinated with vaccine only 70% effectiveness? Will the CDC approve it? If they do not will U.S immigration allow persons into the country who have been vaccinated with it? I can't answer those questions. Only time will tell. It could cause a lot of problems in the world if they don't.

So it DOES work is what you're saying now?

I think I would be more concerned with the vast numbers of people who won't even consider the vaccine over those people who receive a largely effective one.  

• Like 1

Why would they administer it with he 70% results when they can get 90% with less dosage in the first jab? 

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I can't see ships sailing out of Southampton carrying passengers with a 30% risk of infection being unmasked.

Whether a vaccine is 70% effective, or 90% effective, that is merely the effectiveness of the vaccinated person not developing the disease.  It says nothing about whether that person can be infected or not, just that the virus in that person, will not give that person the disease.  So, that person, even though vaccinated, can still be an asymptomatic spreader.  So, until vaccination is almost universal, and as long as infection rates remain high, even vaccinated persons should wear a mask, because the mask is mostly to protect others.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, D C said:

So it DOES work is what you're saying now?

I think I would be more concerned with the vast numbers of people who won't even consider the vaccine over those people who receive a largely effective one.  

It does work but does appear to be effective as the american ones. But surely those numbers must be incorrect how can it be less effective with a greater amount of compound.

People who don't want to the vaccine will just have to get on with it won't they? Though I am sure various blackmail carrots will be used to get the immune numbers to where they want them to be. No in person sporting events or concerts ever again, no in person drinking ever again. No flying without wearing a mask etc etc. No access to government benefits without vaccine, no access to college or school etc etc etc. I am sure there are a lot of sticks and carrots they can dangle around in the U.S.

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Whether a vaccine is 70% effective, or 90% effective, that is merely the effectiveness of the vaccinated person not developing the disease.  It says nothing about whether that person can be infected or not, just that the virus in that person, will not give that person the disease.  So, that person, even though vaccinated, can still be an asymptomatic spreader.  So, until vaccination is almost universal, and as long as infection rates remain high, even vaccinated persons should wear a mask, because the mask is mostly to protect others.

So masks forever then? If I have to wear a mask I don't see the point in getting the vaccine. Surely the point is not to have do that? And besides this travels down the vaccine age groups the numbers will drop very quickly at least in UK. They say in 1.5 million cases. Lets for sake of argument double those figures the true case count is 3 million that nearly in 1 in 20 people who have had it.

Edited by ace2542

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I went for my annual physical (Had to wait a couple of months due to C19) and this medical facility had all of my medications on file.  At least in NJ, there may be some sort of database that physicians are able to tap in.

29 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I went for my annual physical (Had to wait a couple of months due to C19) and this medical facility had all of my medications on file.  At least in NJ, there may be some sort of database that physicians are able to tap in.

Here's information on medical and health records and who can and can't access what and how.  It's not as simple as a Dr just wanting to look at your records. In fact HIPAA is a large part of it.

https://myhealthchampion.com/whats-in-my-electronic-health-record-ehr-and-who-can-access-it/

Edited by BND