River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

@notamermaid, I hope you get your screen sorted soon, and things improve in your neighbourhood. Things seem to be coming in 3 for you, not nice.

@Canal archiveyes, although we haven't been to England yet, we know those locks from friends of mine who have a boat on the Kennet & Avon canal.  This is a picture I found online of the ones up in Ottawa, not as many, or as high.  They are the only ones we haven't been to yet....

Rideau Canal Locks in Ottawa

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

@notamermaid, I hope you get your screen sorted soon, and things improve in your neighbourhood. Things seem to be coming in 3 for you, not nice.

@Canal archiveyes, although we haven't been to England yet, we know those locks from friends of mine who have a boat on the Kennet & Avon canal.  This is a picture I found online of the ones up in Ottawa, not as many, or as high.  They are the only ones we haven't been to yet....

Rideau Canal Locks in Ottawa

Beautiful picture of the locks.

We were just there a few weeks ago. This pic is taken facing the opposite direction from the one that you posted. I like yours better!

20220912_113105.thumb.jpg.f4e0de40e6757d242f4f493e39403bfd.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks to a friend who happened to have a screen in the cellar that he does not need anymore, I am ready to post again from my own computer. Well, not quite ready as I have to catch up on things and work.

Got a nice marbled sky sunset tonight. Foggy mornings and sunny afternoons. Pleasant weather.

notamermaid

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The Water Cooler has been pushed back to page 3! Time to ask a question here. 

@notamermaid (or anyone else who is familiar with different types of German food):

I had a dish in Trier which was a Schnitzel, served with a creamy mushroom sauce. I have made something similar at home a few times now and it's one of my favorites.

I know that Rahmschnitzel is a Schnitzel with a creamy sauce, and Jägerschnitzel is a Schnitzel with a mushroom sauce. What would you call it, if it was served with both?

20221030_164918.thumb.jpg.1ff82e4d4662fe777296f82da22084f2.jpg

In any event, that's what I made for dinner, along with homemade Spätzle. It was great to get my fix of German food tonight.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

This could be interesting I love the way the German language incorporates words. Oh and my grandson goes to big big school next year (Senior) and has already decided that his second language will be German evidently because none of the family are really fluent in French and Grandad still remembers a lot of the German he learnt as he worked for a German company.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I know that Rahmschnitzel is a Schnitzel with a creamy sauce, and Jägerschnitzel is a Schnitzel with a mushroom sauce. What would you call it, if it was served with both?

I think Schnitzel mit Jägerrahmsoße or Jägerschnitzel mit Champignonrahmsauce, or similar. Various versions exist on the internet. I am not sure what it was called last time I saw this on a restaurant menu.

By the way, I went for British this evening and had chicken and mushroom pie with a puff pastry crust.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dreamchaser21 said:

First timer here, I would like to know if an electrical adapter is needed in Europe as well as our cruise ship.  We are cruising on Vantage River Splendor. I can’t be without my special hair dryer!  Thanks in advance!

Sorry to say, most cruise lines don't allow you to use your own hair dryers, as they can be a fire risk.

Beyond that (i.e. for hotel use) your hair dryer is probably 110 only. To use it in a European hotel you would need a CONVERTER, not an adapter. (A converter converts voltage; an adapter just changes the plug orientation for an item that operates on the voltage of the plug, 220 in Europe.) For a hair dryer, which draws a lot of wattage, you need a converter that is powerful enough to handle the load. IF your hair dryer is dual voltage then all you would need is an adapter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid yum’.

Dreamchaser21 yes you will need a continental adapter. There also should be a hairdryer in your cabin ahhh but you said a special one, can I be really nosey and ask why it’s special?

Of course!  It has a brush built in, so you only need one hand. 

13 hours ago, Canal archive said:

This could be interesting I love the way the German language incorporates words. Oh and my grandson goes to big big school next year (Senior) and has already decided that his second language will be German evidently because none of the family are really fluent in French and Grandad still remembers a lot of the German he learnt as he worked for a German company.

Interesting how Grandads can influence the young folk. You know, beyond woodworking and model railways, etc. I hope the young man will enjoy learning my native language and will not be frustrated by the ever changing articles like in "das Schnitzel mit Rahmsoße" and die "Schnitzelrahmsoße". Talking of which, I prefer Schnitzel mit Pfefferrahmsoße.

And as we are on 31 October. Today is Reformationstag, which the Protestants observe and tomorrow is Allerheiligen, which the Catholics observe. So tomorrow people will visit their loved ones in graveyards and place candles and flowers on their graves. German language lesson: it is "der Grabstein" (gravestone) and "das Steingrab" (stone (coffin) grave).

Right, need to do shopping now as tomorrow the shops are closed in Rhineland-Palatinate.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid yum’.

Dreamchaser21 yes you will need a continental adapter. There also should be a hairdryer in your cabin ahhh but you said a special one, can I be really nosey and ask why it’s special?

Also, any charger for a cell phone, laptop, fitness watch, etc., is 99.99999% going to be dual voltage.  In that case just an adaptor is needed.  Wife uses a curling iron, and even that was easily available in dual voltage, for ~$10 at Target.

Well the lads went to the Hornby model museum last week, trains, scalextrix the lot a guys fun time, us girls went Christmas decs shopping at a huge garden centre.  
I've had a hairdryer with a brush attachment, quite useful although I know some companies are not happy with customers using equipment with a heating element.

On 10/30/2022 at 6:03 PM, Dreamchaser21 said:

First timer here, I would like to know if an electrical adapter is needed in Europe as well as our cruise ship.  We are cruising on Vantage River Splendor. I can’t be without my special hair dryer!  Thanks in advance!

I have had issues using my Dyson blow dryer on cruise ships with US plugs. You may want to specify what your special hair dryer is.

Edited by Coral

New software thing on CC means that I had to change my avatar photo :classic_sad:. No longer Koblenz and Avalonwaterways ship. It appears the file was too big. Oh well, after several trials I have found a small enough photo that I took on the Rhine. It is Rhinau, me crossing the river on the ferry there.

A quiet contemplative day today. With pleasantly mild weather and a great autumnal sunset.

Managed to go to Lumagica in Neuwied Niederbieber (longish evening). It was fun and when I get round to it I will try and post a photo in the Rhine thread. Night photos on my camera are not the best.

notamermaid

• Like 2

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

New software thing on CC means that I had to change my avatar photo :classic_sad:

Me too!  But my old one uploaded again.  I have forwarded your issue to the admins.

The rollout was the usual IT disaster [I think they're just trying to make government programs seem not so bad...] but the issues have been getting resolved as the day goes on.  At first I couldn't sign on with Safari on my computer or phone – found a workaround with Firefox on the computer, but no alternatives on an iPhone.  Now Safari works on both computer and phone.

Still not working on Chrome on my phone... And I have to use Edge on my laptop. Interestingly, it's reverted to my ancient Google profile picture... That's me in Iceland, in about 2008!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1