River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

7 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

@pontac, @Canal archive @Nippy Sweetie  Is this real clotted cream?  I can purchase it at our World Market.

clotted cream 2.jpg

Yes, it is real.  But it doesn't taste anything like fresh clotted cream.  [Think the difference between canned green beans and fresh...]

7 hours ago, pontac said:

They're not raisins, they're sultanas and they are the only sweetening used in the scone.

I don't like to use raisons or currants because of their pips.

Here, in Canada at least, sultanas are raisins. 

• Like 1

Here in UK there are 3 types of dried grapes:

Currants - which takes their name from the Greek province of Corinth, has seeds 

Raisins - Dried grape, originally from Greek island of Zante, has seeds

Sultana - Dried seedless grape of Sultana variety - also known as Thomson Seedless in USA.

All very confusing as different countries use different names.

Lets just say my scones have seedless dried grapes because I don't like the crunch of seeds, also the Sultana is bigger and softer

I prefer the sultanas as well. I tried a recipe with sultanas and cranberries. The combination did not work for me, the texture was not right and the cranberries were just too big. Second baking session was sultanas only. As I cannot get fresh clotted cream I only eat the scones with butter and jam. I live in scone- and mince-pies-free country basically, so all those foods are luxury either to be imported, sought out in fancy, expensive anglophile cafés and restaurants, or baked yourself.

By the way, dinner was German beef olives (also known as roulades), with red cabbage enhanced with apple pieces, potatoes and Yorkshire puddings. Been mixing the German with English dinner that way for many years now. Added indulgence was an organic dry Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2022 from the Pays d'Oc. Nice one, but not my favourite type, a little bit too dry and I prefer a fruitier palate.

Time to retire for the day I think. Busier week coming up at work with Thursday being a public holiday here.

notamermaid

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pontac said:

Sultana - Dried seedless grape of Sultana variety - also known as Thomson Seedless in USA.

You should try the singing kind . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Either fruit scones or plain. Fruit either currents, sultanas or raisins are not usually used in Dorset or Cornwall with their favourite cream and jam, plain scones however your choice of pronunciation is their usual choice. 
Actually Californian raisins are my preference in any fruit cake.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

In the US, DW who prefers her grapes in the natural pill form (as opposed to moi, who only want them as wine…) gets both white and red grapes with no seeds. Which may explain why I have never had raisins with crunch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pontac said:

Lets just say my scones have seedless dried grapes because I don't like the crunch of seeds, also the Sultana is bigger and softer

I always thought that a currant was a completely different fruit and that it actually is a berry. Blackcurrant, redcurrant (and wikipedia says there is a whitecurrant). In the US what you call a currant is (again according to wikipedia), a Zante currant - a dried black Corinth grape.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

must admit I’ve never come across seeds in any type of these three dried fruits and I’ve made many many fruit cakes in my time.

Just because you haven't noticed them doesn't mean they are not there.

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I always thought that a currant was a completely different fruit and that it actually is a berry. Blackcurrant, redcurrant (and wikipedia says there is a whitecurrant). In the US what you call a currant is (again according to wikipedia), a Zante currant - a dried black Corinth grape

There are black, red and white currants.

Blackcurrants are supposed to have a high amount of vitamin C and a blackcurrant drink, that children drink,  called Ribena is a best seller here.

Here are redcurrants on a fruit dessert on my latest river cruise

image.thumb.png.e04203e4cccd622e3387e6042f579411.png

Edited by pontac

Whatever the quality, currants and raisins are dried grapes of varieties that have seeds.

My knowledge of wine is certainly superior to yours, but I have never claimed my choice is superior to others. People should drink what they like.

16 hours ago, pontac said:

The raisins we get here in Canada are primarily made from Thomson Seedless grapes. I know there are other types available in bulk stores, but if you buy them in the store, 90% of the time, they will be Sun-Maid brand and those are made from Thomson Seedless grapes. Most of the currants we get are also seedless.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

She looks sweet. A Disney character? I like her dress colour scheme.

notamermaid

How did you escape the pop culture juggernaut of Frozen(2013)?

That's Elsa.

Edited by RobInMN

Thank you.

53 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

How did you escape the pop culture juggernaut of Frozen(2013)?

I hold my head in shame, fully admitting that I kind of gave up all this pop culture and Disney stuff some time before 2010. Just kind of... happened. Living in a cave although roaming the internet.:classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They've even heard of the film in an isolated village in Indonesia. From our March 2023 cruise:

20230310_101240.thumb.jpg.d8b4eefccd6ede6d864e859a71fd597b.jpg

This cutie was taking our picture for her IG account. But look at her top!

Badas, Indonesia

• Like 1