Face masks at sea.

We walked through Boston this Sunday. Everybody was in masks.. I saw only couple of people without.

Even many seated at restaurants had them.. I do not see masks as huge problem

canvas.thumb.png.eca1cbe3d16401ca0b128fa407d59a38.png131318306_10224882947206061_7883646861145135455_o.thumb.jpg.1d4bececd586b5fd924e0ac49bd8fecf.jpg

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, pcur said:

I agree, and we have cruises booked starting late next August.  Of course, if the CDC doesn't change it's "over 7 days" policy, we will have several cruises to move out to 2022.

I'm totally lost on this "rule" of cruises not to be "over 7 days". What's better having 3 sets of potentially sick people on three 7-day cruises or 1 set on a 21-say cruise when after first 7 days everyone is fine?  Going to the shore brings the same potential to get sick for any person regardless of whether a person went 7 times and another person went 7 times, and so on versus a person going 21 times.  It doesn't matter who you are if you anyhow brought a virus to the ship.  To me, this rule is just another example  of bureaucratic machine (quickly developing to a monstrous level) in action.  Hopefully, it will not reach a level of, for example, Italy or other countries where you cannot move without dealing with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

We walked through Boston this Sunday. Everybody was in masks.. I saw only couple of people without.

Even many seated at restaurants had them.. I do not see masks as huge problem

canvas.thumb.png.eca1cbe3d16401ca0b128fa407d59a38.png131318306_10224882947206061_7883646861145135455_o.thumb.jpg.1d4bececd586b5fd924e0ac49bd8fecf.jpg

It's not a problem whatsoever.  Using them on vacation (on the ship, for example) is an issue.  What's the point?  What a "pleasure" seeing a "robbery" in progress 16 hours a day, right?!  And I prefer to breath fresh ocean air (a major reason being on the ship), not carbon dioxide ("A high CO2 concentration can displace oxygen in the air. If less oxygen is available to breathe, symptoms such as rapid breathing, rapid heart rate, clumsiness, emotional upsets and fatigue can result. As less oxygen becomes available, nausea and vomiting, collapse, convulsions, coma and death can occur.").

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

I'm totally lost on this "rule" of cruises not to be "over 7 days". What's better having 3 sets of potentially sick people on three 7-day cruises or 1 set on a 21-say cruise when after first 7 days everyone is fine?  Going to the shore brings the same potential to get sick for any person regardless of whether a person went 7 times and another person went 7 times, and so on versus a person going 21 times.  It doesn't matter who you are if you anyhow brought a virus to the ship.  To me, this rule is just another example  of bureaucratic machine (quickly developing to a monstrous level) in action.  Hopefully, it will not reach a level of, for example, Italy or other countries where you cannot move without dealing with it.

I think the point to the 7 day rule is to a) get the sick people off the ship; b) incubation might be underway, and passengers will show the symptoms off the ship; c) give the crew time to thoroughly sanitize the ship (where they might be wearing hazmat type clothing, and everybody is off the ship).

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But Disney security guards are armed aren't they and Florida has these stand your ground laws where you can kill someone and that is it  yeah? And these security guards are working in a state with the death penalty so no  family member of anyone they kill will take them out and they know it. A bit like cops. And there are cops there as well aren't there?. On QM2 there are 14 security personnel onboard. Ok QM2 is a different type of people maybe.

You can be banned if the cruiseline booked the flight plus have a person deported from the next port of call with ban from returning to that country possibly if thrown off ship with no exit ticket. Though you can get around them banned lists by changing your name for instance or so I have heard.

At Disney there are security guards and off-duty police officers employed by Disney.  The security guards take care of most of the security.

Not sure what your comment about the death penalty relates to this

In regards to your last paragraph. You can't just "change your name"  You have to supply updated documents with the new name.  You will would just not need to  supply this to the cruise line, you would need to supply the new name to various gov't entities, but also along to credit card companies, etc.

10 hours ago, gatour said:

I would wear a mask on a cruise.

As to enforcement,  Walt Disney World has pretty strict in enforcing masks in their parks and Disney Springs.  In fact they strengthened the policy when people used the loophole of eating and drinking.  They added you have to be stopped to eat/drink.

If Disney can handle/enforce this, I am sure the cruise lines can also handle/enforce this.  Plus they have a extra stick.  They can do what the airlines do and put a person on a no fly list or in this case a sail list.

Now we will have table hogs at the buffets eating round the clock so they don't have to wear a mask.   

9 hours ago, gatour said:

Not sure what your comment about the death penalty relates to this

Well if you shot dead the security guard "who was in fear of his life" 😢😢😢 when he shot dead your kid during a "life of death struggle" for not wearing a mask at disney then you will go to the electric chair won't you?. And your are not going do that are you?

19 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But Disney security guards are armed aren't they and Florida has these stand your ground laws where you can kill someone and that is it  yeah? And these security guards are working in a state with the death penalty so no  family member of anyone they kill will take them out and they know it. A bit like cops. And there are cops there as well aren't there?. On QM2 there are 14 security personnel onboard. Ok QM2 is a different type of people maybe.

You can be banned if the cruiseline booked the flight plus have a person deported from the next port of call with ban from returning to that country possibly if thrown off ship with no exit ticket. Though you can get around them banned lists by changing your name for instance or so I have heard.

Sounds like you have firsthand experience with this sort of thing.  I live in Florida and I can tell you no one has ever been shot and killed for not wearing a mask anywhere in the State.  Stand your ground, deportation, banned for life and the death penalty?  Looks like you’re reading way too much into this. 

51 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Sounds like you have firsthand experience with this sort of thing.  I live in Florida and I can tell you no one has ever been shot and killed for not wearing a mask anywhere in the State.  Stand your ground, deportation, banned for life and the death penalty?  Looks like you’re reading way too much into this. 

Actually you can't even be fined in Florida for not wearing a mask.  A store can have you removed for trespassing and Disney can have you removed from the park.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

In Michigan they have apparently.  Apparently on the 26 night Southampton/Southampton christmas new year sailing in 2016 there was an incident the DJ in the club was assaulted by a 60 something year old woman who was english for not a playing the song she wanted on new years eve. Though he didn't press charge he left it she was banned of all 7 carnival lines for life. She got thrown off the ship in NYC before it done it's final leg new york/southampton so she had no flight home and to my understanding got deported from the USA. That is not the same as being refused entry. She got a 10 year ban from the USA and deported home from JFK. That is pretty heavy for her in terms of cruising when you consider what cruises depart from or visit America.

If you kicked off the ship in America and you are not American you get DEPORTED to my knowledge if you don't have a return flight to your home country. That deportation carries a 10 year ban. Other countries law are different.

Edited by ace2542

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Sounds like you have firsthand experience with this sort of thing

I was on the NCL gem for christmas 2017. Bliss (the club for over 18s) was chaos. There were drugs on people at least no being done the tables. What you americans call jailbait in the club under 18s like 16 year olds. They bribed the security or the security gave up either way. The tables in bliss are long not like the music hall tables though I have never been in the music hall though I looked on line. Those bliss tables full of booze. There was no trouble to be fair but imagine trying to enforce wearing masks on that. They wouldn't have a chance.

24 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

In Michigan they have apparently.  Apparently on the 26 night Southampton/Southampton christmas new year sailing in 2016 there was an incident the DJ in the club was assaulted by a 60 something year old woman who was english for not a playing the song she wanted on new years eve. Though he didn't press charge he left it she was banned of all 7 carnival lines for life. She got thrown off the ship in NYC before it done it's final leg new york/southampton so she had no flight home and to my understanding got deported from the USA. That is not the same as being refused entry. She got a 10 year ban from the USA and deported home from JFK. That is pretty heavy for her in terms of cruising when you consider what cruises depart from or visit America.

If you kicked off the ship in America and you are not American you get DEPORTED to my knowledge if you don't have a return flight to your home country. That deportation carries a 10 year ban. Other countries law are different.

I remember reading about that story but I don't quite understand how that relates to wearing masks at sea - the topic of this thread. 

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I was on the NCL gem for christmas 2017. Bliss (the club for over 18s) was chaos. There were drugs on people at least no being done the tables. What you americans call jailbait in the club under 18s like 16 year olds. They bribed the security or the security gave up either way. The tables in bliss are long not like the music hall tables though I have never been in the music hall though I looked on line. Those bliss tables full of booze. There was no trouble to be fair but imagine trying to enforce wearing masks on that. They wouldn't have a chance.

I'm a bit confused...on the one hand you said earlier you can be shot, banned, deported etc for not wearing a mask and now you're saying masks can not be enforced.  Which one is it?

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I remember reading about that story but I don't quite understand how that relates to wearing masks at sea - the topic of this thread. 

How is being banned for instance for life by carnival x7 brands plus deporting from the U.S any different for not wearing a mask than for assaulting a staff member?

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Well if you shot dead the security guard "who was in fear of his life" 😢😢😢 when he shot dead your kid during a "life of death struggle" for not wearing a mask at disney then you will go to the electric chair won't you?. And your are not going do that are you?

You are a real piece of work.  Welcome to ignore. You have earned it.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:39 AM, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

As a crew member, I am always intrigued by hearing your opinions on wearing a mask on your next cruise vacation.

I honestly thought the majority of people would be fine with this new rule now. Personally, I have no issues wearing a mask and have enjoyed ways to make them fashionable.

Will you wear a mask, now that we know for sure, we will most definitely be required to wear one on your next cruise vacation?

Chris Wong

I enjoy being part of the solution (well sort of) to stop (eh, maybe) the spread.  Wear my KN95 with pride everyday.  However, if you (Crew) is vaccinated, and we (passengers) are vaccinated I will not be cruising if masks are required.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'm a bit confused...on the one hand you said earlier you can be shot, banned, deported etc for not wearing a mask and now you're saying masks can not be enforced.  Which one is it?

Do you think the security on these ships are getting paid enough to mess with people. It could be real hard to enforce and real messy. Imagine RCL staff being sued for I don't know assault by a passenger or even a wrongful death suit. They try and restrain and maybe they ain't properly trained. All sorts of stuff could happen. 

I don't know how many security they had on the Gem but they were not getting involved in much but searching bags. Didn't search the few younger people wearing shorts boarding in nyc on Christmas. That is how the personal stashes came onboard apparently. In the shorts that didn't set metal detector of for having a zip.

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Do you think the security on these ships are getting paid enough to mess with people. It could be real hard to enforce and real messy. Imagine RCL staff being sued for I don't know assault by a passenger or even a wrongful death suit. They try and restrain and maybe they ain't properly trained. All sorts of stuff could happen. 

I don't know how many security they had on the Gem but they were not getting involved in much but searching bags. Didn't search the few younger people wearing shorts boarding in nyc on Christmas. That is how the personal stashes came onboard apparently. In the shorts that didn't set metal detector of for having a zip.

I've seen them mess with people, and its great.  

Won't be an issue - require vax to cruise and toss the masks in the trash.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

24 hour day masquerade party 

Oh, yes, I forgot - "mandatory" means while sleeping, too.  And don't try to hide without a mask (fully visible) under the blanked.  The big brother is watching you!..